Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Bulb and Dead Light Orders

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:17 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan - is the halogen gonna be ok in the underhood light fixture - I mean, with all the hood slamming that goes on and whatnot...?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, let's let this percolate for awhile into next week. It is better to order 100 of each bulb and that is what I was counting on in the pricing. Probably won't happen on the halogens and 1157s.

Everyone can use new bulbs so we should get more takers and see where things go.

Keith, It should be OK. I've been burning one since April and have been under the hood quite a bit. Still burning fine. Underhood is probably the best place for these halogens.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:44 PM
keith
Drifting

Hey Dan - I'll do the 3 halogens, what the hey.

3 - 35watt Halogens bulbs.

still takin' Paypal?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:51 PM
MadMax
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,
I'll take 5 of the 35w halogen lights. That is all I need. My address has changed from Maryland to Florida so drop me an email with the cost (new zip is 33462) and I'll paypal you or send you a check, whatever you want.

Max
Old 07-13-2003, 09:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Max, you quit teaching how to drive a plane and retire down to Florida?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:24 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
6@ #1156: (1) x 2
8@ #1155 (1) x 2
2@ #1157 (1) x 2
2@ Bulb Sockets
1@ Terms & wire for 2 bulb sockets

Dan, did I make it in time? I'd like to replace all running lights in the car and add two running tail lights. Please verify that I have ordered enough bulbs and sockets to do this, in case I've got memory lapse or something.

What's the turnaround on these things as my car is overdue for inspection due to a couple of dead bulbs
Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Scott, yeah, you are in time. I'm holding off making the bulb order so everyone that wants in gets a chance to see this thread and get in. Finding good bulbs at retail is surprisingly inconvenient. All the majors seem to have gone with the cheaper asian bulbs. When you are buying 10 bulbs why not get the best for $8 total rather than roll the dice at $4 (what I can sell them for)? You want to put these in and forget about them for the next 10 years.

Your math on bulbs may be off a bit. I think you missed the 3rd brake light and underhood light. Those are 1156s. I'd put a 35 watt halogen in the underhood socket, though.

I'd like to close it off this week. Then 5 days to get the bulbs shipped in, a day or two for packing things up and 3 to 5 days out to USA customers. Probably 7 days to the international guys.

I'll also need to order some more of the dead light sockets by the looks of it. There are only 29 left in USA inventory as far as I have been able to figure out. Then that is it. Off to parts breakers or do a ghetto job like the guy on FleaBay.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

You are correct, add:

2 1156's.

The car rarley sees night time action so the 1156 will be fine for underhood.

Thanks again!

Also, guys if you haven't experienced IS's work then you should get in on this order. He sells nothing but first class products.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:19 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ELLSSUU:
<strong>You are correct, add:

2 1156's.

The car rarley sees night time action so the 1156 will be fine for underhood. Send me a tally, including shipping, and I'll forward you payment.

Also, guys if you haven't experienced IS's work then you should get in on this order. He sells nothing but first class products.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Old 07-14-2003, 08:40 PM
MadMax
Pro

Dan,
I haven't retired but I have changed careers. While teaching at the Naval Academy I was attending Law School at night at Univ. of Maryland. I got out of the Navy in December and have only stayed in Maryland to finish my Juris Doctorate. I will still fly on my free time but I will not be teaching it anymore. I miss flying but I needed to change to a career that would allow me to be with my wife. It doesn't hurt that I don't get shot at anymore (at least on a 'regular' basis )

Jim,
Thanks for the heads up about Black Forrest. I was going to ask some of the other Southern Florida guys where to go for work that I can't or won't do. I am in Hypoluxo and the law firm I am working for is in Lake Worth. Thanks again.

Max
Old 07-15-2003, 05:19 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Dan,

Sign me up for:

6@ #1156: (1) x 2
8@ #1155 (1) x 2
2@ #1157 (1) x 2
2@ Bulb Sockets
1@ Terms & wire for 2 bulb sockets

And if I sell the car, well I'll just add these to the wiring kit I got from you and haven't installed yet. But I may contact you about trying to use the 944 kit in a 911 or 993 depending on what happens. It may end up that I keep the cab and wait to see what happens with our contract in November.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Craig, I have been thinking about your situation on the headlight wiring. I believe we could solve it fairly simple on a rear engined car by just running a supplemental positive off the alternator, fuse it back at the alternator, and then snake it up to the front and bolt up to my stock kit.

I built the harness with a lot of extra slack so guys could change it to other cars but I didn't take into consideration a rear engine. LOL!

Max, I have one of your alma mater's terrapin beer mugs somewhere around here. I'm not so sure I would count on too much free time as you start out your legal life. The senior partners like to run new lawyers into the ground in a grand fashion. Can you say 3,000 billable hours?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
MadMax
Pro

Dan,
I know what you mean. I have several friends from law school that have taken jobs with large firms. They are getting paid well but they don't have any time to spend the money. I am working for a small firm. I will be the 5th lawyer at the firm. They only expect 1500 billable out of me for the first year. There are real opportunities at this firm. I am sure there will be difficult or even crappy times but it is that way with everything. As long as the net positives outweigh the negatives I'll be fine.

Regards,
Max

p.s.- besides, i don't think there is a law firm in existence that can work me more hours for less money than the Navy.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:24 AM
glen2002
Racer

Hi Dan, I am going away for a week, would you like me to send money before or is it more convenient later when you have the numbers worked out? I don't mind either way, just don't want to leave you on a limb.
Thanks
Glen
Old 07-17-2003, 07:51 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Glen, Let's just wait until you get back. I'm going to leave the order list open a couple more days so most everyone has a chance to see the thread and get in if they want. The thread keeps getting knocked off the front page so I think a bunch of people that wanted in have missed it. Then it will take a few days to get the bulbs shipped to me. Then I need to try out different box sizes and play with rate quotes to get your shipping costs to a minimum since you are down in OZ.

In any event I have all the light sockets we need (I cleaned out the whole USA inventory), that was the real potential bottleneck in this project.

I also need John to get the Rennlist PM function working again. I lost a few guys' orders because they PMed me rather than e-mail and all my historical PMs went to never-never land.

Quick Reply: Exterior Bulb and Dead Light Orders