Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Deck Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
@van:

Turbo pistons are 100mm bore, 2.7l is 104mm.
Doh! Missed that.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ van: Yeah - the change in bore is not helpful to those looking for factory FI bits. However it does mean that an S2 head (maybe even 968?) would drop straight on. That's another story...

@rogue: The Eaton M90 has a helical rotor - adiabatic efficiency is higher than most Roots type superchargers, nominally around 60%, but that changes through the RPM range. Poor mans solution would be the unit fitted to the Mazda Millenia as standard - but more a twin screw design than the "twisted rotor".
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monkey,
Yep I'm familiar with the Eaton units. You could probably even get an HH unit (high helical), if you want. I also have a lysholm twin screw from a millenia waiting for a rebuild sitting here...

Regardless both units offer lower adiabatic efficiency then a decent centrifugal compressor. I would plan on using an intercooler. The stock 951 piece would serve you well.

-Rogue
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
RC924
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eaton m90 - I reckon it will manage up to the power level I'm looking at... see http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128485.gif and Blown944's posts for more details.
Yep, an M90 would be the minimum choice of the common available blowers for your engine capacity and the boost you`re aiming for. From a commy/buick 3.8 V6?

Has a reasonable adiabatic efficiency for a rootes type although not as efficient as a lysholm or whipple. Problem with the later however is their capacity and the speed they need spin to achieve your goal.

Depending on your particular goal, be it XXX Hp, 1 bar boost, or more mid range torque and resultant driveability
for a street car it may be worthwhile considering a centrifugal SC. They have a much greater efficiency at higher RPM, but obviously the compromise is low and midrange. With my basic SC14 on a 2.0L the boost is fairly linear from 1400 to redline. However the goal was not max HP but rather smooth useable torque throughout the entire rev range. Acceleration is virtually instant, well < 200 ms, and has similar to V8 grunt driving around town. Not a race car, merely an enjoyable and quick street car.

And I do have a plan - it's very well formed and accounts for contingencies based on the fact that this is a learning experience for myself. If I knew exactly what I was doing it would be a lot less fun! Incidentally you are currently located in the middle of the research phase of the plan The build stages might go something like this;

1. Blower, injectors, fuel pump, RRFPR, thicker gasket and stock ECU. Wideband (LM2) also. Low boost - 7psi

2. MicroSquirt and ignition/fuel fine mapping, knock sensor. Medium boost - 10 psi

3. Water/Methanol, FMIC or water/air IC, High boost - to maximum efficiency of blower (15psi?).
Perhaps I may have done mine **** about, but IMHO considered it wiser, safer, and likely cheaper in the long run, to commence with a programmable and fully controllable ECU (MS2v3) with feedback from a WBo2. Stock FP should cope, injectors won`t, AFM??, and no need for old tech bandaids like RRFPRs.

How do you intend controlling the ignition curve with a stock ECU?

An IC is an absolute necessity at any usable boost level IMO. Data logged IATs over 60*C above ambient with just a quick blast off the lights with no IC. A major contributing factor to detonation. Sure that`s on a SC14 (82 CID) at 8PSI into 2.03L but a M90 overdriven to produce 15PSI into 2.7L won`t run any cooler.

Well - if you have money to throw away before thinking your way through a problem you might go ahead and believe that... Please bear in mind these would be custom 104mm bore dished pistons - and would cost as much/more than the rest of the components put together. Blown944 has proven that the stock bottom end can handle the power, and a gasket/spacer was a potential solution (not a new one) to the problem. The true cost of a successful installation is measured in patient hours of research rather than $$$.

Besides, if everyone did things the same way... there would be no blower installations in the first place? (everyone would "sell the NA and buy a turbo")
Can well appreciate the countless hours of research and fabrication involved and also your desire to achieve something unique rather than "just buy a turbo". My point was that if the BEST option is to spend say US$1K on custom forged pistons that will in reality be a small price to pay in the overall scheme of things. Custom gaskets, head swaps, chamber machining or whatever has its costs too. Not only economic. Depends if you wish to make decisions from an engineering or economic perspective.

The Cometic engineer seemed happy to entertain the idea of making a custom gasket (see the "custom gaskets" section of their site). Just not the thickness I had in mind initially...
Fair enough. They must have the dies/tooling already and be in a viable position to do one offs on the 2.5,2.7,3.0 platform. Over on 924 board.org we attempted a group buy of 50 units and they are still refusing and citing a minimum order of 100.

Sorry if I came across as a nay-sayer. On the contrary.
Of literally hundreds of posts commencing "I want to SC or turbo my NA" there is only a handful of guys that have actually brought it to fruition. Sincerely wish you success with this project and will be following your progress.

Roger
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I was thinking, you'll probably need an adjustable cam gear, since the valve timing will change as the pulleys move farther apart (because of the fixed tooth spacing on the timing belt.)
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Not trying to sharp-shoot, but a roots style supercharger has generally much lower adiabatic efficiency then centrifugal compressors.

-Rogue
You are correct which is why many of the OEM applications run a water to air intercooler. I personally never consider a roots supecharger when someone mentions supercharging. To me the low end gains are not worth the top end losses....which is why I have a turbo car I guess. My reference to efficiency had me thinking Vortec, Paxton, ATI, Powerdyne.

The roots type are pretty popular these days and the Vette crowd has been eating them up. I personally do not want full boost on my ZO6 @2K rpm's since it makes more low end TQ then is reasonably usable which is why I'm going a single turbo route. Maybe it would be nice on a 44 but then you have intercooling difficulties that eat up dollars quickly to resolve.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the Cometic gasket tech replied and said he'd recommend up to 0.08" thickness. That's 0.04" ~= 1mm over stock, which equates to about 9.5:1 CR.

So, a reduction, but perhaps a better compromise.

I'll post more when I'm not at work!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Poor mans solution would be the unit fitted to the Mazda Millenia as standard - but more a twin screw design than the "twisted rotor".
this is what i am going to use..have one apart in my garage...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
The roots type are pretty popular these days and the Vette crowd has been eating them up. I personally do not want full boost on my ZO6 @2K rpm's since it makes more low end TQ then is reasonably usable which is why I'm going a single turbo route. Maybe it would be nice on a 44 but then you have intercooling difficulties that eat up dollars quickly to resolve.
we aren't so fortunate to have 350cid...

we could use the torque
Old 12-24-2011, 04:21 AM
gux944
Intermediate

Any progress?

Quick Reply: Head Deck Spacer