Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i have to use a flywheel lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well as long as the crank does not move at all I should be fine. the only time it can move is when routing the new belt on. I was wondering if I put it in gear would that prevent the crank from being able to move?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes putting it in gear will inhibit turning the crank although there is some backlash built into the ring & pinion so it won't lock things solid like a flywheel lock does. I would suggest double checking the the timing marks before you start it up again...
Old 01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With the car in gear, it will move very little, if at all. Just make sure the E-brake is up, and use wheel chocks too (otherwise, leaning on the car will rotate the crank). Even out of gear, the crank should not move if you're not going to take out the crank bolt. The crank is actually fairly hard to turn by hand, without a big socket wrench.

And then even if it moves a millimeter, that still isn't enough to screw you up. It has to move by a whole tooth to screw you up, which should never happen. As far as your OT mark on the flywheel, something you can try is to spray a little wd-40 on the mark, then use a wire brush like mentioned earlier to scrape away some rust. Then use a little white-out to paint over the OT mark. Then use the brush again to clean away the white out. The white out should remain in the grooves of the OT mark and get brushed away from everywhere else. I haven't tried the white out trick yet but thought it would work.

The bottom line is, if everything goes wrong for you, you can still use a dowel in spark plug hole 1 to find TDC and then line up the camshaft sprocket accordingly. You'll be fine! Just be mindful and taking pictures always helps me in 1st-time jobs.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i never use a flywheel lock- if your starter wont come off just pull it and let it hang. I put a alan wrench into one of the pressure plate bolts and rotate it until it stops on the bellhousing. Then when you are finished, there is another crank TDC mark on the bottom of the flywheel-lines up w/ a slot on the bottom of the bellhousing. so line it up-easier than the one on top- and then put the cams back and wala.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure letting the starter hang from the wires is such a great idea. I would try to support it with a block of wood, etc.

Quick Reply: do i have to use a flywheel lock?