Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S electrical problems... Found! Surprised the car didn't burn...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 924S electrical problems... Found! Surprised the car didn't burn...

Alrighty. I get in the 924S to go to work yesterday. start it up, stereo doesn't work. I'm thinking, "Wow... Usually that thing works" (really early in the morning. leave me alone) and drove to work listening to the Weissach symphony orchestra. Anyway, as I wake up and wise up, I'm thinking, "Oh, heh... blown fuse." so I check it out, sure enough, fuse is blown. I go get a fuse, put it in, and as I'm putting it in place, (with all the lights off, key out of ignition, interior door lights off, etc. No power SHOULD be going anywhere in the circuit) the door chime starts dinging... get in to go home after the sun goes down, and I notice that once again, no key in the ignition, no lights on, the door chime starts going when I open the door.

I get in the car, notice that the center console lights are on... no other lights are... just the center console... The clock is dead. reading like, 9:45 or something. start it up just fine, turn on the headlights, and the center console lights go off. radio still works. clock still dead.

Obviously it's a short somewhere. I'm wondering if it's the headlight switch, the clock, or somewhere between... Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1987 924S or prior experience with this electrical issue?

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 12-31-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I have a diagram if u need it. PM me email Geoff.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

PM sent!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

so... What do I look for when tracing the wires?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Bump, and here's what I've found so far-

-Not the headlight switch. with the switch completely removed, the issue still happens.
-Not the radio. disconnected, still happens
-not the interior lights. same reason.
-not the clock. same thing.
-Not the turn signal/high beam switch, or the windshield wiper switch.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
jdgunn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My memory is trash but I seem to remember something similar happening to my 924S 10 years ago. It ended up being the ignition switch. Do you have a spare you could try?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I don't have a spare but I'm working on checking that out. JD, did you replace it yourself?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
jdgunn
Instructor

A couple of times. They're not hard to replace.

It's a really easy test if you can find a spare. Just pull the plug off the switch that's in the car, plug it into the new switch and turn it with a screwdriver... I sure do miss having a couple of parts cars lying around.

BTW, sorry for not buying your car (i'm the guy who was going to CO in early dec and was hoping to drive your car home) I ended up getting a 924SE off craigslist.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Eh, no worries. I really don't want to part with the car. I like it a lot... JD, after you get the plastic stopper sleeve off of the steering column, how do you pull the switch assembly off? Brute force and ignorance or is there something I'm missing?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:47 PM
jdgunn
Instructor

It has been a while...

Are you asking about the wiper/blinker switch assembly, or the ignition switch?

I remember two insanely long brass screws that hold the wiper and blinker switch assemblies to the metal locking mechanism housing. Once those were out, I think the switches just slid off.

If you're talking about the ignition switch, I remember you have to have the key in the ignition and turned to unlock the steering column.. I think there is also a small, somewhat hidden, short screw that you have to find... did you remove the plastic from around the steering column?

Can you get some photos? pictures might jog my memory.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok. I got that off. learned more of what my problem ISN'T.

so... I did find out what a problem IS. I gave up, frustrated as hell and started putting it back together. turned on the car to test things as we go... turn on the lights, no headlights go up. they're chillin in the down position. I get out of the car and manually crank them up. decide I'm going to be "that guy" who drives with his concealing lamps up all the time. go and flip off the headlight switch, and they go down. hit it again, they go up. toggle it for a bit, and my initial problem fixed itself. IT'S THE FARKING HEADLIGHT SWITCH. so yeah, I'm putting it all back together now...

then I go start it up, same thing, all lights work well, and I've actually got high beams! (more than I can say since I bought the car!) all lights are on when they should be and off when they shouldn't. look at the clock, it's still not working... think to myself, "Hm... lets test the stereo..." Nope. it's dead. look at the fuse box, sure enough, #7 is toasted. I put a new one in and it pops instantly. Look at the clock, it looks as if a connector is shorting/ grounding out on a bracket. put the shielded connector on that side. put in a new fuse, and it pops.

I'm out of fuses...
GAWD I hate electrical issues!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I found the issue. the clock- has a metal bracket holding it in place, and the shielded connector. it rubbed through the shielded connector, and shorted out. I was looking real close at it and noticed that the tan cloth tape holding it all together was charred... look further, and see some areas under the tape show exposed wiring. I removed the harness, and the tape wrapping it. Holy crap. some of the wires had NO Insuallation left. Others had it melted and obviously bubbled. Jeebus it ain't in good shape. time to order a new one! thank god it's small. Pics coming shortly after I get the codec to view raw, and resize them.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 12-31-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 924S electrical problems... Found! Surprised the car didn't burn...