Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chains or tyre-grip spray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
RED87944S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
There are actually OEM snow chains for 944's I believe. Check PET.

Dont buy tire spray. That sounds about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If a spray worked, then people would just buy summer tires and spray them in the winter. Id hate to be one of the suckers that bought winter tires when there is a spray available.

I agree with Van. Youre better off parking it and taking some other form of transportation. Even if youre a perfect driver, that doesnt mean that everyone else is.
spray on don't last as long as snow tires..only 50 miles..i bet it works but only so much and maybe that's just enough to get him by..you never know..
Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the store close to my house was out of those tire sprays.

it's just tree resin which says is suppose help improve traction on snow and ice and keep the tires from freezing and is only temporary and wears off when you drive a couple kms or so. no idea if it works at all.

even if i somehow get my car moving out of my driveway (if even possible) I'm worried about the front end of my car plowing snow and ripping off or cracking.

I just went for a walk and in some of the resdential roads here there is like a foot of snow on some spots of the road (piled up by cars driving by) so i'm worried about those foot tall piles of snow ripping the front end off.

looks like I'll have to bus for a while.

this is the only time I wish I had an suv lol. a land rover with snow tires would be nice right now.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

damn it's suppose to snow again tonight and then again tomorrow and friday......

think i'm going to go buy chains tomorrow morning if there are any left in my size.

will chains make my 944 driveable or am I just wasting money. chains seem like a hassle as I probably have to take them off once I hit the main roads.

also anyone have problems with the front end of the 944 not clearing the snow?

I'm more worried about clearance as the 944 is pretty low to the ground and it's going to drag on the snow.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 AM
joonas
Racer

Snow tires or bus.

New good noname snow tires should be cheap. Cheaper than crashing your car or killing somebody.
195/65 R15

If chains brake they will beat up your car. And that spray is total waste of money.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

a set of 4 snow tires is pretty pricey. not really worth it in my area as it rarely snows this bad. last year it only snowed twice and it was only a couple centimeters.

they keep on changing the forecast. right now it says temps are suppose to rise to 4 degrees on firday. when the snow starts to turn to slush I can drive with my all seasons.

I sell tires at my work lol, cheapest snow tires are 120 bucks each in teh 205/60r15 I have on my car.

would 2 snows in the rear work. I know most mechanic shops won't install 2 snows. I just have no traction at my drivewheels so snows in the rear should get me moving.

are you saying 195/65r15s would mount on my 15 inch fuchs?

teh 205/60r15s snow tires at my work are 120 bucks each. kind of expensive for a couple days of snow.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

a set of 4 snow tires is pretty pricey. not really worth it in my area as it rarely snows this bad. last year it only snowed twice and it was only a couple centimeters.

they keep on changing the forecast. right now it says temps are suppose to rise to 4 degrees on firday. when the snow starts to turn to slush I can drive with my all seasons.

I sell tires at my work lol, cheapest snow tires are 120 bucks each in teh 205/60r15 I have on my car.

would 2 snows in the rear work. I know most mechanic shops won't install 2 snows. I just have no traction at my drivewheels so snows in the rear should get me moving.

are you saying 195/65r15s would mount on my 15 inch fuchs?

teh 205/60r15s snow tires at my work are 120 bucks each. kind of expensive for a couple days of snow.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 AM
joonas
Racer

How wide are your wheels?
195/65 R 15 80 Q M + S front and rear on rims 7 J x 15 H2
7J is the wheel width. Phone dial wheels it is stamped on one of the "spokes" on the brake disc side of the wheel.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 AM
joonas
Racer

How wide are your wheels?
195/65 R 15 80 Q M + S front and rear on rims 7 J x 15 H2
7J is the wheel width. Phone dial wheels it is stamped on one of the "spokes" on the brake disc side of the wheel.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

not sure. I just know I have 15" fuchs and the rear look wider than the front.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

About tire inflation: lowering the pressure increases the size of the contact patch. Increasing the size of the contact patch can give you more traction in very icy conditions.

Raising tire pressure makes the contact patch smaller. In deep snow, a smaller contact patch will have a better chance of pushing though the snow to the underlying pavement.

Having a large contact patch on deep snow is kind of like hydroplaning on snow - not the best idea.

As for Yummybud's problem, I will again say that it sounds like the bus is the best solution. While you may have to wait at a bus stop to catch the damn thing, it may be offset by the time you spend trying to get "unstuck" which seems like you've been doing a lot of lately.

So, you wait for the bus for an hour - big deal. Buy a magazine and a cup of hot chocolate. (Which will be more useful than tire spray - which, by the way, can't possibly solve the problem that the snow is higher than your front valance... You know how it takes more effort to walk in the sand at the beach? It's because the sand moves around while you try to push-off from it. Putting suntan lotion on your feet doesn't change the properties of the sand. Spraying anything on your tires doesn't change the fact that you've got inches of unplowed snow sitting on the road preventing your tires from touching the pavement.)

I assume you're not learning too much about physics in school?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 for Van... Keep the car safe. Given that you only get a minimal amount of snow each year, think of the number of people who will be on the road and haven't the foggiest clue on how to drive in the snow (of which I bet there are a sizeable number in Vancouver). They are your greatest risk!

If you are really stuck and really cannot / won't use public transport, a couple of cab fares will still be less than new tires or chains.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
About tire inflation: lowering the pressure increases the size of the contact patch. Increasing the size of the contact patch can give you more traction in very icy conditions.

Raising tire pressure makes the contact patch smaller. In deep snow, a smaller contact patch will have a better chance of pushing though the snow to the underlying pavement.

Having a large contact patch on deep snow is kind of like hydroplaning on snow - not the best idea.
Van - thanks for stating it better than what I was trying to say. Given his comments about DEEP SNOW is why I stated that underinflating the tires wouldn't help...

I believe the consensus here is to take the bus. Now that begs a question: should the bus use snow tires or chains?!?

-Z-man.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

I made it. The car performed beautifully. There was a lot of compacted snow in the local neighborhood but the car is so well balanced it was no problem. I started to notice how few other rear wheel drive cars are out on the roads though.

Hows vancouver today?
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM
joonas
Racer

When I swiched to snow tires this year I noticed that summer tire thread was holding in the snow but winter tires throw it out. The day I did the change there we had snowstorm and streets were covered with loose snow because city could not clear the roads that fast. With summer tires it was aful, I was lucky not to get stuck. With winter tires it was like 100 times better. I use studded winter tires that have extra grip on ice. We have bad road conditions during the winter so you have to use winter tires by law. If there was not that law I would use them anyway. Grip difference is so huge.

Quick Reply: Chains or tyre-grip spray?