Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front Speakers

Is there any front speakers that anyone has tried that for sure do not come close to touching the window frame? Does anyone know if Blaupunkt T-Line 4"x6"/4"x6"m Speakers PCxt462 will fit from experience?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Do a search, there was a few threads about a month ago.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

How close?
I have audiobahn as64pqs in my doors and they fit as long as you use the little plastic spacers that come stock. But they have the biggest magnet I could find on a 4x6.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:06 AM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
Now I feel like an a$$ I had the same speakers but moved them to the back cause the magnet keep hitting wondering what all the extra stuff was in the box for lol.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RobbyK:
<strong>Does anyone know if Blaupunkt T-Line 4"x6"/4"x6"m Speakers PCxt462 will fit from experience?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I have a set of Blaupunkt PCxi462 in the front doors of my '86 behind the factory grills without using any spacers. I did have to modfy the factory grills to have them fit flush over the speakers by cutting off the molded oval ring located on the inside of the factory grill. You can see them in one of the pictures in my signature link.

Rob
Old 07-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RobbyK:
<strong>Now I feel like an a$$ I had the same speakers but moved them to the back cause the magnet keep hitting wondering what all the extra stuff was in the box for lol.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If you're referring to my post. The spacers didn't come with the speakers. They were on the factory plates. I lost a couple, so I just used a nut that was about 4mm thick and drilled out the threading, so it would slide down the screw easily.
Here are some tips from my experience:
Since it's such a tight fit, use the rubber sleeves that came on the original speakers (especially if it rains near you). Put the crossover box on the outside and run all the wire through the hole in the sleeve. This keeps the wiring from bunching up behind the magnet and hitting the window.
Secure the crossover to the black conduit near the front window rail. Put a zip tie above and below the crossover box to secure it on. This will keep it from getting in the way when you put the speaker in (or when you lower the window later). It will also increase the life of the crossover, since rattling around is not good for electronics.
Use good wiring. The stuff that came stock in my car sucked! I ran monster 16g from the amp to the speakers. It's a pain to get behind the carpet in the footwells, but it's worth it for the better sound.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Rob:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RobbyK:
<strong>Does anyone know if Blaupunkt T-Line 4"x6"/4"x6"m Speakers PCxt462 will fit from experience?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I have a set of Blaupunkt PCxi462 in the front doors of my '86 behind the factory grills without using any spacers. I did have to modfy the factory grills to have them fit flush over the speakers by cutting off the molded oval ring located on the inside of the factory grill. You can see them in one of the pictures in my signature link.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">They're not what you might think of as spacers. They're the little plastic things that were on the factory screws when I pulled off the old speakers. They're not much thicker than a washer. My speaker plates don't stick out any farther than they did when I bought the car.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
i put in Blaupunkt PCx462 4"x6" 2-way Speakers into my front doors last week. They fit fine in the opening. You cannot however use the stock speaker grills unless you modify them like with what Rob said. The speakers i got are the one up model from the PCxt462's and have identical dimensions. The speakers came with a set of black grills that look pretty good which will fit over the speakers. The only problem is that the grill does not cover the speaker hole completley on the side that is closest to the front of the car. Its not to bad, so i can live with it. Im sure you can just find something to cover the little openings, like a peice of balsa wood or something. If you have a newer styled interior 944 (85.5 and up i think) you may have a problem with the grills hitting the dash when you close the door). Their are no clearance problems on the older style interiors (i have a '87 924S).

If you would like to see how it looks, check out my CarDomain page here... <a href="http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=250479&page=3" target="_blank">Click</a>
Just scroll down 1 or 2 pictures and you will see the install. The speakers sound great too!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:01 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought a cheap set of Pyle 4x6's at Autozone for $25. They fit fine and sound ok. Nothing special but better than the old originals.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

You can find lots of speakers that fit, but 4x6s aren't exactly known for their performance. It was tough to find something that had a strong midrange and was able to handle a decent wattage.
I'd recommend a 4x6 component plate, over an oval coax, since an oval driver distorts more than a circular one.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Blackbird
Advanced

I've got a nice set of new Boston's that I just pulled out of my car if anyone is interested. I won't be needing them (or their extra weight) on the racetrack.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Mike the Rookie
Advanced

According to the Crutchfield online catalog none of the speakers they sell fit the front doors. But they do have several listings for the rear speakers even though they show them as the same size as the front?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:40 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The main issue with the front speakers is depth. I forget the actual maximum depth..it was something like 8/16th or something around that number. The rear speakers have no depth problems at all (getting to the speakers is a whole nother story though!). Ive read that the JBL GTO6426 4x6's fit without major modification (i believe someone said they needed to shave a little of the top off).
Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 AM
JJ951
Racer

i heard a car with a very expensive ADS sytem, no subs though. It was incredible. it had 4x6 in stock locations and each cubby had custom 4" drivers built in, it had an 8 way amp hidden next to the spare tire, it was crystal clear well past any volume you could stand to be in the car with. Th owner said that around 5K was spent on it. it had an alpine deck and alpine 6 cd changer in glove box. all profesionally installed at a high end stereo place. That price sounds a bit steep if you ask me, i would say more around 3500. But i would say that those were the best sounding speakers i had ever heard.

-John
Old 07-11-2003, 11:34 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked the Blaupunkt 4x6's. The grilles looked stock enough, and they sounded way better than the stock speakers. I found the front speakers are the "main" speakers you hear in a mostly-stock setup, yet thanks to Porsche, your choices are limited by depth. Go figure!?

I am about to start my own post on stock head unit wiring...the PO had the original Blau from '89 in there, and my newer Toronto has different inputs. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Front Speakers