Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Respray price

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
BMWM3PORSCHE944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and that makes a Porsche evil to him?

my uncle killed lots of ***** during WWII, I still love my lil German ride.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

I smell ignorance.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM
BMWM3PORSCHE944
Racer

No MArc, I am sure all Porsche owners know that Ferry designed the people's car for Hitler.

Did he also design the 944 for him?

I feel that held over anger from WWII is a bit ignorant if you ask me.

Come on man, we NUKED Japan, TWICE and are now friendly with them.

OK back on topic with this thread please.

I see your 944 is in for paint as well, care to tell us a bit about it? Prices, how much work is being done?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm in the process of getting mine ready for a partial paint... It's a lot of hours to take everything apart and clean off all of that adhesive...

(Anyone have good adhesive removing ideas? Specifically for the double sided tape under the "turbo" badge and the "porsche" sticker above the bumper?)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWM3PORSCHE944
No MArc, I am sure all Porsche owners know that Ferry designed the people's car for Hitler.

I see your 944 is in for paint as well, care to tell us a bit about it? Prices, how much work is being done?

Thanks!
*Ferdinand, not Ferry...
Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Where is the "this thread is worthless without pics" smiley...I'm getting impatient!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by BMWM3PORSCHE944

Thanks!
The ignorance I smell is coming from your painter. I'm not bent out of shape- your painter is! I find the whole Holocaust fascinating if I dare say so myself.

As far as my car in for paint... it's a nightmare. I'm having some trouble with the bodyshop.

More on that headache later...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
I agree with the above statement . You just can never get original quality robustnes as the originally the body is baked in an oven.
At the risk of geting sand blasted by you guys I think the resale value of a 944 makes the above statement true. I had one and the resale value is low enough to consider a better car over a paint job.

Any shop with half decent eqipment is going to bake his car. That is SOP for the painting biz.

I could show you many cars that have been resprayed and I would bet you $100 bucks you wouldn't be able to tell if it was factory or not.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

what the hell? what do you guys think a good paint job will cost? $10k? is this some kind of a joke or something?

the quote I got from a guy who does custom restoration work on old american muscle classics etc. was just shy of $5k and that included taking care of everything like OP stated (removing body pieces, interior, etc - pretty much everything but engine/transmission/suspension/brakes - and individual pieces get treated and sprayed separatly from the rest of the car?)

I mean seriously, a paint job from factory doesn't even cost $10k, where the hell do you come up with these numbers?

I know plenty of people who can do a good job at just respraying the car for around $1-2k, so pretty much $5k for a whole job is definetly a great price
Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 492 Posts

it costs alot because there is alot of prep work to make the paint look halfway decent.

you could simply tape off the mirrors, windows, and hatch, do some sanding and then spray the car. but then youd end up with a paintjob like my PO got that is peeling off in sheets in some places and isnt even the same color as stock and there are huge runs all around.

to make the car look GOOD you should pull off the mirrors, pull the rear windows, pull the hatch, pull the bumpers, pull the rubbers off the bumpers, remove all body seals, remove the sunroof, remove the lights and markers, etc etc etc paint the body parts all and then replace everything.

that is where it gets expensive. if you want to save money, do most of this yourself and maybe trailer the car to the painters.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
it costs alot because there is alot of prep work to make the paint look halfway decent.

you could simply tape off the mirrors, windows, and hatch, do some sanding and then spray the car. but then youd end up with a paintjob like my PO got that is peeling off in sheets in some places and isnt even the same color as stock and there are huge runs all around.

to make the car look GOOD you should pull off the mirrors, pull the rear windows, pull the hatch, pull the bumpers, pull the rubbers off the bumpers, remove all body seals, remove the sunroof, remove the lights and markers, etc etc etc paint the body parts all and then replace everything.

that is where it gets expensive. if you want to save money, do most of this yourself and maybe trailer the car to the painters.
Pretty much nailed it on the head. BUT there are those guys out there that do outstanding work adn still don't charge an arm and a leg.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
BMWM3PORSCHE944
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
*Ferdinand, not Ferry...
Thank you, drunk posting is a bad thing.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i dont think thats unreasonable, make sure he will replace anything that breaks when he takes it off. like the bumperettes, hatch glass...
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Pretty much nailed it on the head. BUT there are those guys out there that do outstanding work adn still don't charge an arm and a leg.
yup and I know a couple of places, kind of like mom-and-pop stores, they have been buying salvages bringing them back to life, and fixing colision cars, forever

also, whenever you do this, do NOT rush the painter, so assume downtime of atleast 1 week before you get the car back, if you want it done right

and don't annoy them with "dude where's my car?" stuff
Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if he does good work the price he is quoting you is very cheep. I had a similar job done several years back and it was 5k and that was a steal(only reason he agreed to do it was he was a personal friend of my fathers). Otherwise he said a job like that would have been more like 8-9k.

He did 5 coats of base and 3 coats of clear. Cut down after every spray and it was also wet sanded.

Quick Reply: Respray price