Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a-arm help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 09:48 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy a-arm help

I need to know what is the cheapest way to replace the A-arms on an 85.5NA? I sent my old arms out to be rebuilt 3 months ago and I still have not got them back. I have either called or e-mailed the person daily for the last 3 weeks with no reply so I figure I am SOL on getter my a-arms back.
I was laid off in Feb. so funds are very tight. I remember reading an article in Excellance about 5 months ago that said the stamped steel a-arms from the 83-85.1 944 would fit the 85.5-86 944. What is required to install these as I can pick up a set a lot cheaper then the aluminum a-arms?
Dave Fracolli
85.5 944 with no a-arms
unemployed bum
Old 05-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David -

I believe you're right, the steel arms will fit the cars with the early offset.

You might want to hit ebay for used arms, or even any of the dismantlers - and go with a rebuild from Vertex (GASP... I know...) or anyone else.

They're (the rebuilts) are cheap and seem to be ok for a while. Something like 130ish per arm rebuilt.

You should be able to pick up a dead set of A--arms for close to nothing... Which will dramatically lower the costs to get good ones.

HTH!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:33 AM
twat
Advanced

Contact Skip from Paragon. He can give you Marcus Balzac's number. Marcus modifies and reinforces the stamped steel arms for a very reasonable price.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

Blaszak's #613-353-7012. Website--Blaszak_precision. Check them out. I am going to use him when I do mine later this year. Where did you send your originals?
Old 05-17-2002, 12:45 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

At this time I would like to defere on naming the person. As I am still in the process of trying to get my A-arms back I would rather not mention the person's name until I get a reply on what his/her intentions are.
AS I have voiced my thoughts many times on discussing private matters on a public forum I feel it would not be fair for to start naming names now. Rest assured though that if the person continues to refuse my phone calls and e-mails I will send a warning to the list with the facts of my situation.
Thanks for the reply,
Dave Fracolli
Old 05-17-2002, 01:00 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Regarding the steel arm retrofit...

[quote]Here ya go:

- Arms (x2) 171.407.153D
- Ball joints (x2) 171.407.365G
- Bushing, front (x2) 171.407.182D
- Bushing, rear (x2) 477.407.181A
- Bushing clip, rear (x2) 477.407.169
- Bolts, ball joint (x6) M7 x 20
- lock washers (x6) A7
- nuts (x6) M7

The bushing clip may have to be sourced from a dismantler. The bolts and such can be sourced from a hardware store (grade 8 or better) and you can use nylock nuts (I did). You may substitute 5/16" or 8mm bolts for the 7mm ones (hard to find) - but, you will have to bore the holes to fit. You can use the existing hardware for the A-arm mounting to chassis points. Total new cost for all pieces except clips and bolts is approximately $110. For those looking to upgrade the steel stamped arms for use in racing, you can find some sources to seam-weld and box the arms. Mine were done by Markus Blaszak (mblaszak@kos.net)<hr></blockquote>

Depending on your supplier - the front bushings may come preinstalled to the steel arms. Please ask your supplier if this is the case, so you do_not order unnecessary parts.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2002, 06:30 PM
86Jason944
Intermediate

I retrofitted the steel arms to my 86 NA last month, and I highly recommend it. For what you spend on the rebuilt arms, you can get 2 brand new steel arms and replaceable ball joints.

The only warning that I would give you is that you will need to mount the sway bar differently to the steel arm. You can do like I did and get the older sway bar mounts, or you can do like Skip did and get it welded to the arm. Or, you can just put the end-link through a hole in the control arm. It is kind of your choice.

I ordered everything from Paragon except for the rear clips and the bolts. I got the sway bar mounts from George at 944 Ecology.

On another note, if you are looking to save some money, I have a set of control arms in a box that I bought to have rebuilt. But I have no use for them now. I have never actually looked inside the box to verify their condition, but I would be willing to sell them to you for like $20 a piece plus the shipping. It would be better than nothing for the short run.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:07 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Sounds good. I am assuming they are the aluminum ones. Why don't you e-mail me off the list at dfracolli@aol.com.
Thanks!!!!!
Dave Fracolli
Old 05-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you put the steel arms on an 87 951? Or is it a totally different kettle of fish?

Thanks

Thaddeus
Old 05-18-2002, 10:48 AM
GeoffD
Instructor

I put a set of Markus Blaszak's steel arms on my 924S race car last year (basically the same suspension set up as an 85.5 944) along with Racer's Edge spherical bearings. I was very pleased with the result and after 4 sprint races and 2 endurance races the ball joints are like new. If they were worn, all I would have to do would be to unfasten three bolts per side and replace the ball joints which are cheap.

My car is very low. Markus was able to minimize the upwards angle of the A-Arm to some extent by moving the ball joint mount from the center to the top of the arm. The arms are also gusseted and reinforced.

For you US guys, Canadian stuff (Markus is in Ontario) is practically free as our $ is only worth $0.64 US.

I can post pix if anyone is interested.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If your cores disappear, I have a good left one I can give Markus for you.

Three weeks is a long time with no response. Could other list members be sending this guy parts right now?
Old 05-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Markus Blaszak made me a set made for my 86 951, very nice workmanship. Good point about the exchange rate; the price, strength and replaceable ball joint convinced me.

I sent the old arms off to Markus to see if he could salvage parts off then, he asked me if I was "jumping" the car. The PO had "hit an object" and bent a rim, he didn't know he bent the arms at the same time. This explained the very low whinning sound on high speed sweeping right hand turns.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:03 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

I highly doupt that anyone is sending anything to him as this was the first set he was going to do.
If anyone is sending parts out to someone and they are not sure if it is this person or not just e-mail me with the name of the person and I will let you know offline if it is the same person.
I understand that a lot of people are concerned but as I have said in the past I do not feel comfortable naming the individual at this time.
Dave Fracolli
Old 05-18-2002, 04:45 PM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by Thaddeus:
<strong>Can you put the steel arms on an 87 951? Or is it a totally different kettle of fish?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, only the 85.5-86 cars can be easily converted to steel arms.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:13 AM
abduln
Instructor

David:

If you continue to be ignored I would send a notice saying that the person has 14 days to respond or that you will file with a small claims. I assume they are in the US. If that doesn't get you a response, I would file the claim. I don't know the procedure if you are not in the same state as the defendent.

However, if they don't show up to court they will lose by default, and with just a bit of effort you will be able to recover the value of your A-arms by attaching the guys income, or assets... and it will show up on their credit report. Hopefully, they will step up and send you the arms back.

Regards,
Abdul

Quick Reply: a-arm help