Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Locks - What the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002 | 04:49 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Angry Power Locks - What the hell?

I have a 1988 944 S, and the other day I replaced my broken driver's side handle with a used one I purchased. There was a white wire that connected to my old handle that I couldn't connect to the replacement handle because it didn't have that part of the handle on it. So i disconnected it and attached everything else. Also, the power locks hadn't worked ever since I bought the car, but I saw that the white hydrolic for the power lock had disconnected, so I just re-attached it. Now, here's what I don't understand. The handle works fine, but I can't lock the door when it is open-- is this just how the door is? I can't push down the lock, nor can I use the power locks to lock it when it is open, but I can lock it with the power locks when it is closed...but that makes the power locks pretty pointless if you can only use them with the doors closed. Also, what was that wire that I left unconnected? I assumed it was for the factory alarm. thanks for any help
Old 06-04-2002 | 05:17 PM
turbopop
Instructor

Whether power or manual, the door locks should only work with the doors closed. It prevents owners from locking their keys inside the car.
You need to use the key to lock it after the door is closed (which should lock both doors if you have central locking)
Old 06-04-2002 | 05:31 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Hmm...i didn't know that...on all other cars i've driven locks worked fine with the door open...and i never locked my keys in the car either So thats kind of frustrating...but what about that white wire thats hanging free now inside my door? Is that the central locking connection?
Old 06-04-2002 | 05:31 PM
scular
Racer

That single white wire sounds like the microswitch that tells the locking system if the key is turned to lock or unlock the car.
Old 06-04-2002 | 06:05 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Yeah...****. If so, I'm going to need a different handle.
Old 06-04-2002 | 10:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You can't lock the driver door while it is open.
Old 06-05-2002 | 05:50 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

White wire is for door lock microswitch.It gives the signal to central locking system either to lock or unlock the doors.You do not need to have a new handle.Just remove the "drigger" and you are able to switch the lock assembly to the one with microswitch.Unfortunately 944 handles does not have a possibilty to to change lock assembly(they are sold as a complete units).The simpliest method is to buy 968 lock assembly with microswitch unit.Locksmith is able to make these lock's suitable for your current keys.When removing the pin which holds drigger connected into the handle, be carful, handle brackets can broke very easy (don't ask how do i know..)
Since you have to this, why don't you change to 968 handles....

Olli,
'88 951 with 968 handles & mirrors
Old 06-05-2002 | 06:09 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, you should be able to lock the passenger side door while it is open (which will also lock driver side if central locking). I thought the ONLY way you could lock your keys in one of these cars was to open the hatch, sit your keys inside and then close it, but obvioulsy not- kinda makes the whole system seem silly huh? Worthless? I mean, it's obviously a PITA to have to turn around and use your keys to lock the doors. There are way too many other ways to idiot proof car door locks...
Old 06-05-2002 | 01:40 PM
Sean
Drifting

On a related note, I am having electrical problems on my passenger side. The brake lights, fog light, and power lock have all gone out! (But only on the passenger side.) Any idea what would cause this to happen?
Old 06-06-2002 | 01:38 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Olli: The reason I had to get the used handle was because the one I had was broken. (the lever snapped, like most eventually do). Are you saying I can take the good lever off the used handle and put it on my old handle that has the microswitch? I know i can move the lock, I already did that, but it didn't seem like the lever would come off the handle easily.
Old 06-07-2002 | 03:03 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Just remove pin which holds lever (or drigger as Porsche named it) connected to handle.I removed handles because i changed them into 968 units.I used most of the 944 internal parts, including the levers.I just drilled pin off whith my Dremel tool.Then i bought unversal pin (3mm if i can remember correct) and put them back together.That microswith is not connected to handle,it is connected into lock assembly with one screw.I suppose what you need is the lock assembly with possibilty to bolt on that microswitch.Handle & lever are same in all models either they have power locks or not.

Olli
Old 06-07-2002 | 09:09 AM
DennisR
Advanced

Hold the phone!! The power locks on my car work with the door open. As a matter of fact, the owners manual says that the locks will set one time after the key is out of the ignition so you can lock the doors as you exit the car. That's how mine work.
Old 06-07-2002 | 02:15 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Well I can't lock my driver's side with the door open...right now anyway, hopefully I'll be able to fix my handle though, and then we'll see.

Quick Reply: Power Locks - What the hell?