Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched Power for V1 in a Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:29 PM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switched Power for V1 in a Cab?

Does anyone have a good spot to grab switched power for a Valentine in a 944 Cab? I searched and found that a few people grab power from the dome light, but that is not switched. I plan on mounting the detector above / near the mirror, and will probably run the power across and down one of the A-Pillars.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stereo.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

cigarette lighter. Pull the tabs that surround it snake it into the glove box and up the a pillar. Run it across the top of the windshield and drop it down. I also bought a windshield mount kit for a racing mirror. My plans are to attach a glued surface to the back of my V1 and hook it up to the window. In this way I will have a hardwired V1 in all my vehicles with a quick connect setup. Then I just switch the V1 back and forth.

for reference:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=1548
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Arent cigarette lighters not switched?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Kburke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you have it on all the time and just pull the power plug when your done
Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1212
Arent cigarette lighters not switched?
no, they are not.

when i installed my aftermarket power locks i took the hot line from the cigarette lighter and used that for my lock power, and it works whether the key is in or not. the stereo is not switched either (at least in my car it works key or not). off the top of my head the things i can think of that are switched are..

blower fan
instrument panel
rear window defroster
horn
wipers
Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

What V2Rocket said. Who smokes in their 944 anyways??

On another note. Cops have been running laser at night lately. I guess there trying to push the technology. I got a cop trying to shoot me at 50 yards in the dark, I flipped the fogs on and slowed down. He shot again, but it was way too late. Make sure you turn on your foggers to keep their accuracy down.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
no, they are not.

when i installed my aftermarket power locks i took the hot line from the cigarette lighter and used that for my lock power, and it works whether the key is in or not. the stereo is not switched either (at least in my car it works key or not). off the top of my head the things i can think of that are switched are..

blower fan
instrument panel
rear window defroster
horn
wipers
Stereo is switched, on the wiring diagram it shows ignition lock is Green/White pin 2 for all S2 stereos...

Or off the ignition switch itself you can use Red/Black 2.5 (smaller of the 2 Red/Black wires) or Black, or Black Yellow, the first is switched on all key positions except off, the Black is on when the key is in the ON and START position, the black yellow should be on when the key is in the first position and the ON position but NOT ON during engine start, I would recommend using the last (Black/Yellow) as this will power the unit off during engine start.

Just my 2c, and my aftermarket stereo is switched, the memory holds too, some shops and self installers will hook the switched and constant power lines for stereos together when installing in these cars, and I believe the readily available adapters that allow for non-cutting of the factory harness to install an aftermarket stereo hook these lines together out of simplicity.

I prefer to solder directly to the factory harness, and heat shrink my connections, it results in better, cleaner, longer lasting connections than twisting the wires together and adding electrical tape (PO did a hack job on the factory harness, each time I am under the dash I fix one more thing...)
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed an additional fuse box it the passenger foot-well with 5 switched and 5 non switched fuses. Got switched power from radio and used a relay to power the fuses, now any future additions will be easy.

I already run my Satnav, Blue-tooth, laser scrambler, and remote control unit for central locking, window closer and boot release from there. Amazing how many you need.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
I installed an additional fuse box it the passenger foot-well with 5 switched and 5 non switched fuses. Got switched power from radio and used a relay to power the fuses, now any future additions will be easy.

I already run my Satnav, Blue-tooth, laser scrambler, and remote control unit for central locking, window closer and boot release from there. Amazing how many you need.
Waaaaaaaaaay too fancy for my skills!

I am going to check the stereo (as there seems to be some confusion as to whether it is switched or not (and the last time I doubted V2Rocket, it cost me days of troubleshooting)) and try to tap into that...

I need a switched source just in case I forget to turn it off and the car sits for a week or so, I don't want to come back to a dead battery.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

someone above mentioned the switched/nonswitched radio being the result of an aftermarket install...
when i installed my current cd player i found that the original wires had been spliced so that may be the case. with the old radio it worked with or without the key also.

i cut out most of the previous wiring job and replaced it with my own, with cleaner, better splices and lots of shrinkwrap to keep it all together. maybe someone with a bone-stock sound system could chime in (if there are any left)
Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
someone above mentioned the switched/nonswitched radio being the result of an aftermarket install...
when i installed my current cd player i found that the original wires had been spliced so that may be the case. with the old radio it worked with or without the key also.

i cut out most of the previous wiring job and replaced it with my own, with cleaner, better splices and lots of shrinkwrap to keep it all together. maybe someone with a bone-stock sound system could chime in (if there are any left)
That was me, and mine was bone stock, I read the wires off the wiring diagram and wired direct to the factory harness, solder and shrink tube, and works like a charm...

And when I installed my MSD, I also installed a Ballast Resistor to protect the DME, I treated the wiring there to some blue shrink tubing to match my blue plug wires....
Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

I used to do it via cut and splice, and I found this little cheapie at the auto parts store. Pull out a switced fuse in the fuse box and replace with this. It adds a new circuit just for your new items without cutting any of the original wires.
Less than a 10 spot, IIRC.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Switched Power for V1 in a Cab?