Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice Fire Extinguisher Mount from Stable Energies

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Zakk,

It's conceivable that the mount would fit behind the passenger seat. The biggest issue would be whether the distance between the rails (and therefore the bolts) is the same at the front as at the back. I assume the rails must be parallel. Therefore, the distance between the left and right sides should be the same at the front and the back. I can't think of any other obstacles to making it work.

I've got a busy weekend and busy week ahead. So, I don't think I'm up to pulling my seat out and trying to rearrange the mount. Perhaps the folks at Stable Energies can tell you whether or not it will mount behind the seat. I'll at least take a look and see if I can give you any further advice.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:46 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have any of you guys mounted the FE in front of the DRIVER"S seat? We have a customer that did this, and it seems to make a lot of sense to me - especially with the Stable Energies mount, which should always be under your knees, regardless of seat position...?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Zakk,

I'm guessing that you could install the Stable Energies mount behind the passenger seat, but it is only a guess. One possible complication--on my car, each rail attaches to the front of the seat with a single bolt. Each rail attaches to the rear of the seat with two bolts. As I recall, the two bolts in the rear are separated by about a centimeter. It is possible that the second bolt would interfere with installation of the mount. However, if this were the case, it would probably be simple enough to drill out a portion of the mount to allow clearance for the second bolt.

Here are two suggestions if you are interested in the SE mount:
(1) Purchase it. Try it in the back. If that doesn't work, then mount it in the front. If you don't want it in the front, then . . .

(2) Find another Rennlister who would like one of these and is willing to pay the full $50. Purchase it. Try it in the back. If it works, then keep it. If it doesn't work, then ship it to the other Rennlister for the $50 plus shipping. Worst case scenario is that you are out $10 for shipping and the other Rennlister has a perfectly good FE mount.

Keith,

Mounting on the driver's side sounds like a great idea. I wish I had thought of it before installing in the passenger side!

I guess it could be awkward to remove it from that position while seated in the car. On the other hand, I cannot imagine many situations in which you would want to stay seated in the car while fighting a fire!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:29 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I know this is an old post but I ran across a problem with my Stable Energies mount and fire extinguisher. I got the mount and the bracket in the car with no problems but the extinguisher has a groove in the neck that goes into the bracket a certain way which would face the handle down towards the floor and it will not fit like that. Did any body else have this problem? Do you just spread the parts on the bracket so you can fit it in facing which ever way you want? Also that little plastic tie that holds the pin in fell off. I guess I should go to a place that sells fire extinguishers and get another one put on because the pin can just fall out without it??
Old 06-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Take the extinguisher to a fire department, and ask if they have someone that works on them. If not, open the yellow pages.

You'll want them to rotate the nozzle for you, and replace the plastic tie. The pin can come out with that tie gone, and no one wants a passenger compartment full of halotron!
Old 06-30-2003, 02:30 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why did you place in near the foot of the passenger? I find that weird. Especially when people try to sit in the seat they are going to have a fire extinguisher as a foot rest not for safety.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:10 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

That FE mount looks like the BK manual seat mount that I have. The manual version moves with the seat.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by v944god:
<strong>Why did you place in near the foot of the passenger? I find that weird. Especially when people try to sit in the seat they are going to have a fire extinguisher as a foot rest not for safety.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That is the 'suggested' mounting point for the Stable Energies and BK FE mounts. It is really not in the way of the passenger: I've had people get in my car and not even notice it there!

You'd have to have awfully short legs to use the FE mount as a footrest!

-Z.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:44 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking this was a common problem but I guess not. If you look at my FE the groove for the bracket is actually in the handle part so ratting it won't help. I guess I will email Stable Energies and see what they say. Here is a BIG pic of my FE I didn't want to make the pic smaller so you can see the groove
<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/tazman/feneck.JPG" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/tazman/feneck.JPG</a>

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts
I mounted a stable energies mount to my 928 seats. the 928 has memory relays screwed to the base of the seat where the FE mount goes. I used electric ties to mount/hang the relays to the bottom of the seat bottom. i was going to toss the relays, but was afraid i would screw up the 12 functions.

very happy with Lorette and the time she spent with me and a tape measure to make sure the part would fit. i highly recommend stable energies.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine looks just like Perry's when mounted. The FE fits properly in the bracket, and the nozzle points toward the seat.

No problems with adult-sized passengers. However, if my 5-year-old tries to sit in the passenger seat his feet hit the FE. Since I put 3-point belts in the back, he sits in the back.

If you don't like the FE in front of the passenger seat all the time, then it would only take about 3 minutes to remove the FE and the FE bracket. By "FE bracket" I mean the bracket that secures the FE to the Stable Energies mount. Look at the second pic posted by Perry. You can see the black mount (with white Stable Energies decal) protruding from under the seat. The red FE bracket is attached to the mount with four or six small bolts. These bolts are easily removed. You would then just have the SE mount, which would not get in the way of a passenger at all. When it comes time for the track, 3 minutes to install the FE bracket and FE.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:25 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

does anyone have or know of one that mounts on maybe a pillar?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Tazman: have you tried mounting the FE the other way? EX: if the top of the FE is towards the door, then mount it facing you. You should only have to remount the FE bracket to the Stable Energies mount.

HTH,
-Z.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:28 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>Tazman: have you tried mounting the FE the other way? EX: if the top of the FE is towards the door, then mount it facing you. You should only have to remount the FE bracket to the Stable Energies mount.

HTH,
-Z.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I did not try this yet but I was thinking about it. My main concern is that the handle will be facing up and it might get in the way of the passenger.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
im interested in doing this also, im just wondering if its a problem on a '87 924S with non-power seats?

Quick Reply: Nice Fire Extinguisher Mount from Stable Energies