Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering selling the 951. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003 | 04:14 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

STrecks car is worth whatever he wants to sell it for. If he wont dump it for under $10K, then its worth $10K to him and thats all that really matters. The market cannot reflect a seller who does not sell b/c the market can't track it. But these values are just as important as the cars that do sell and in their totality are what the real market is. The values quoted by this and that are only for cars sold. Theres another half of the equation and you must account for both. Its the exact same case with works of art. The Mona Lisa has a value, but its never on sale. Yet it in part drives the market for expensive artwork, just like the Dali that hangs in a museum forever and one that gets sold by Sothebys. Same deal with five guys who carry a glass of water each in the desert and they come across 10 men with a lot of money who are dehydrated. If one of the five guys sells his glass of water for a penny, the market value is a penny. Or is it? Of course not. The other guys could probably get $1,000 each for their glass of water. Yet if they dont sell, the market average still reflects a penny and people think water goes for a penny out in the desert. I realize some competing forces in the market are at play here but you get my drift.

My opinion is, unless you are destitute and living on bread and crackers, why sell it to someone who values it less than you do. Just hang on to it until you get what you want for it, or until you start valuing the car less in your mind and life for whatever reason.
Old 06-25-2003 | 05:19 PM
Picstr
Intermediate

Sorry to sideswipe this thread but UDPride, that analogy is about as informative as it gets, insight that everyone can use,thanks. By the way while lurking I was noticeing your search for a good condition 930, ahem, I guess you found it huh? Incredible car man. I now have a dream.
Regards, Picstr.
Old 06-25-2003 | 05:20 PM
Picstr
Intermediate

double
Old 06-25-2003 | 05:36 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944pete:
<strong>Streckfu, is the dash trim brushed aluminum or painted?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Painted. It's hard to tell except on the piece around the shift boot which didn't turn out as well. I'm thinking of repainting it if I keep it.

UDPride,
You've hit it on the head. This is a $10k+ car to me. The maintenance is nop notch (which justifies the value) and none of the mods are over the top. There are no neon flashing lights, or bright colors that would limit the interest.

Quick Reply: Considering selling the 951. Opinions?