Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So why do Boxster/Cayman owners take such abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 75ohm
Cayman, yes.
Boxter, no.
AMEN.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Wasn't the first Porsche a mid-engined car? How's that for purist.
I really dig the CaymenS and from what I understand is actually a better track car than the 911 (sound familiar 968?) If Porsche made the Caymen the car it could be, if would be the end of the 911, 996, 99....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

from what ive seen- being on the board of the PCA here locally for a few years- first off most people are nothing but friendly- but there is a pecking order to things. The guys that get the most respect have the most money in there cars (usually paid the most) - theres the guys w/ the CGT that gets all the attention- then the GT3 guys just under them- then the older 911 variants as long as they have wicked mods or money tied up in the car- then the even older 911's and 914-6's and race cars- then the boxster/cayman guys because their cars are newer- then the 944/968/928 guys.

-heres the thing, when im on the track and i pass these guys, for a few minutes, the pecking order changes.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey944
AMEN.
I have to disagree Doug... I drive these cars every day and I will own a late 986S as soon as one comes in at less than 10K... It wont be long... The cars are a blast, there isnt the paranoia of the *** coming around... I am still petrified of pushing a 911 through a corner... hopefully thatll change on Sunday when i go to Rockingham to flog a bunch of 997.2 PDK cars around the track

Mark
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I respect your opinion Marky, we have a lot of **** in common. i was not impressed when i drove that 2002 S model in the slightest. Then again, I have never taken one through the NC mountains for a good flogging. That may change my mind, just a tad.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey944
I respect your opinion Marky, we have a lot of **** in common. i was not impressed when i drove that 2002 S model in the slightest. Then again, I have never taken one through the NC mountains for a good flogging. That may change my mind, just a tad.

It probaly would... Oh and you would fall in LOVE with a Cayman S...

Mark
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've seen/watched a caymen s with a gt3 motor in it, it moved, and outran every other car on the track(that was street leagle).

i think the boxster gets a bad rap because of it's low power, and looks in the first few years, i look at it now, and just say i'd rather have a 911, but i'd take it for 52g with a few options. the only reason(i feel) the caymen gets a bad rap, its slotted right under the 911, and everyone knows with the one change in the gearing it would be quicker then a pre dfi 911 in 1/4 and 0-60(base model) the 911 nothing will honostly touch it untill porsche says so, its the god car for them, their money maker. the boxster also gets a bad rap for yup, couldn't afford the 911, even though some people who can own a 911 just want the boxster.

porsche has the biggest profit margin of any car company in the world, per vehicle.

and i never care if someone tells me i couldn't afford a 911 since i got my 944, you know, i couldn't afford one, but i didn't settle, i got a 944 i liked...and besides i had my power car sitting at home already
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

this thread is retarded.

asses are asses no matter what they drive.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Agree with Eric^^

The only Porsche owners I loathe are those that buy the brand not the car. They are easy to spot, they wear Gucci loafers and have Louis Vitton luggage.

There are quite a few 911 owners out there that fit that discription, but on the whole I think it is a car for 'real' Porsche enthusiasts. Everyone who likes Porsches loves the 911 in it's various evolutions, and it's that steady evolution over the years that appeals to enthusiasts.

The problem with the 'other' models is that they were all introduced to a mass market to promote sales. Still well built, still Porsches, still great to drive, but not with the pedigree and evolution of a 911.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Don 944 LA
the 944 guy didn't even notice there was another 944 in front of him
That's the difference between "a guy with a 944" and "a 944 guy"
Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

IMHO, the Boxster gets hammered because (like a lot of cars) it's not owned by enthusiasts out of the gate, and the reliability/cost of ownership of the earlier cars has resulted in fewer would-be enthusiasts purchasing them from the original owners.

"Enthusiasts" are typically not the people who buy these cars new. The average individual who walked into a dealership and plunked down $50k for a Boxster isn't going to drive home and write about it in an online forum (although some folks obviously do). Most people are going to park it next to their <insert ~$40k crossover SUV here> and then trade it in on a 5 series when they have another kid. They aren't going to wave at someone when they're driving the car because the car itself is just an object in their life.

Because of this, in a normal cycle, the typical enthusiast will come in as a later owner. The car becomes more affordable to those who couldn't purchase it in the first place and because they couldn't pick it up new, those individuals sat around thinking about buying one, posting about them, drooling over them at shows, etc. In this process, the car becomes not just an object, and the future owner not just someone else driving it. As a result, the car develops a following from people who want to own one someday, but can't afford it at the moment (and if you want to become excited about something, consider the possibilty that you can't have it). This is where the Boxster has hit a stumbling block.

For a lot of reasons, the Boxster is sitting right at a price point that makes it somewhat less likely to be picked up by a person who is interested in talking about it with other like-minded folks. Someone who considers themself an "enthusiast" probably knows about the potential for mechanical failures... and knows that they have quite a few more traditional Pcar options for the same price. Along the same vein, someone who just wants a "sporty" used car has a lot of options in the $20k range with a lot more performance than the Boxster. This has created a kind of void for the model itself - folks who would typically want to own one know better and folks who don't know what "986" means get distracted by other options along the way.

Of course, there are a lot of other reasons why I dislike the Boxster

Micah
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
-heres the thing, when im on the track and i pass these guys, for a few minutes, the pecking order changes.
EXACTLY. I love going to the track, and after a given DE session, having the 911 race car guys come up to me and say, "man, you were really wringing her out! I tried all I could to catch up to you, and I couldn't!"

The catch is that they all weigh 2600 lbs and have 40 more horses...

IMHO, the Boxster/Cayman is just like the 944 was in its day. Under-appreciated at the time of their conception, but give it time -- they'll have a great following (just like the 944 does now). Spec Boxster is gaining in popularity, and why shouldn't it? It's a perfectly balanced car with a peppy motor and a very responsive chassis.

Just wait: in 10 years we'll all be seeing the high school kids driving 'em and saying, "you know, those are such underrated cars. Great fun for the money." And then we'll look to the 951 in our garage (which we've kept all these years) and sigh. Oh what a vicious cycle it is.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
I like the Cayman...the interior (of the one I have been eyeing) looks a bit "cheap", and it feels a bit heavy but other than that I really liked it.

The Boxster, however, just somehow falls in the category of Miata, Golf Cabrio, 6cyl Mustang Convert.,...you know what I am saying, a girls car. Just doesn't seem to have any testoerone....IMO. Not saying it isn't a good car, but if people have to stop and consider:

"...hey honey, look. That guy is driving a Boxster...do you think he is gay?"

I just couldn't do it...Just my opinion, which doesn't mean a thing.

+10000000

Jeremy Clarkson said it best when reviewing the rs60.

"What this car does.... what every boxster does - Is sit in your driveway and remind you that you couldn't quite afford a 911."

Early boxsters are slow and they feel like toyotas to drive... They drive more like a kenmore than a porsche. Not to mention the fugly boxster interior... and the fugly 996 style headlights.

The cockster is a lot better looking though.

It's just my opinion, so don't get your panties in a wad, boxster owners...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

Testesterone, miata, girls car, am i on the mullet forum or on the porsche forum.

cars are objects, cars do not earn respect. people that should be respected command respect.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fpena944
I dunno where all of you are meeting the Porsche snobs. Every PCA or Rennlist meeting I've been to has welcomed my vehicle into the crowd. And I've been in events in NY, NJ, PA, and NC where I'm often outnumbered by 911s and never have I ever heard any negative comments about my choice of vehicle.

I'm thinking the people who put down a Boxster (or 944 for that matter) are the same individuals who bought it for the badge. And in a year or two they'll get tired of the lack of electronic goodies, harsh ride, and loud interior and they'll trade it in for the next flavor of the week vehicle.

These people help the enthusiast's cause since they take the depreciation hit for us so we can purchase slightly used Porsches at a significant discount.

NEVER !!!!!! 944 FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: So why do Boxster/Cayman owners take such abuse?