Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay 951: looks fishy to me

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Collin,
The owner is Brian at Eurotech in Marietta, GA. I hope it is ok for me to post that out here. He is a really nice guy - does repairs on German cars. I bought that black/black turbo from him that needed a little love that Albert and I did some work on and sold recently.

I am sure he is hoping for something north of 15k on the car. I told him I thought it was worth more than that but he needed to address those little things to get it.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I have a feeling that car was tracked. Just a hunch but it has more wear then the mileage indicates and at 37K the shifter boot, seats, dash, hood liner, coolant tank, and rocker guards are just too worn. There are two 30K mile cars locally and they look entirely different from a care perspective. Between the boost enhancer, koni inserts, and 968 castor blocks, and other misc items, the car has more usage then the mileage indicates so track usage in always an option. The front seat was also removed at some point as well.
FWIW...I agree, especially with this parts list:

Koni Yellow Suspension

Engine Mounts

Strut mounts and bearings

Chassis Bushings

New Dunlop Tires

Water pump

Diverter Valve

Brake Master Cylinder

I am @ 60k and the only item on this list I have replaced is the tires. Would the engine mounts, chassis bushings, full suspension, strut mounts and bearings need to be replaced @ 37k? Or am I just lucky with mine?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I have a feeling that car was tracked. Just a hunch but it has more wear then the mileage indicates and at 37K the shifter boot, seats, dash, hood liner, coolant tank, and rocker guards are just too worn. There are two 30K mile cars locally and they look entirely different from a care perspective. Between the boost enhancer, koni inserts, and 968 castor blocks, and other misc items, the car has more usage then the mileage indicates so track usage in always an option. The front seat was also removed at some point as well.
I think the good condition of at least one of those 30+k cars is due to being kept out of the sun The shift boot doesn't look to me like it's worn from track duty, but the dye is gone because some drivers tend to rest their hand on it when not shifting. My car has similar marks in the rear carpet also where it looks like seat tracks used to be, but I think they were formed into the carpet at the factory. I wouldn't doubt track time considering the suspension upgrades either though.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
CPR
Race Director

Either way...for the right price and a new interior why not?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

what is wrong with track time?

my first S2 had konis and never got to the track.

my third S2 had the water pump changed at 35k miles, 50k miles and 65k miles. the first time with a new unit, the next two with rebuilt units.

my second S2 was bone stock and got to the track.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
aribop
Race Car

I love how all you guys are so keen on offering your opinion and speculations with such certainty on a car you have never seen. Josh and I have seen the car in person and know the owner but our say does not matter much? I guess it's much more fun to put down and talk smack than it is to talk about the reality of the situation.

This car actually looks much better in person than in the pictures. You should at least applaud the owner for realistically showing the car instead of trying to cover up flaws.

Tom, I appreciate you standing up for the car and discounting some of the people trying to put it down.

The car has not been tracked and yes it spent some time outdoors which has attributed to the condition of some items already pointed out. Oh, and the stone guards are black.

As far as items needing replacement, like Josh stated the owner of the car owns a German car repair shop, is a PCA member, drives a 993 turbo, and loves Porsches. So he did a few upgrades and replaced some items he thought might be suspect, so what? It's one or more less things the new owner will have to worry about.

At least this car has been driven some. I have seen original turbo's with no more than 2k miles that sat in somebody's collection for 20 years. Whoever buys a car like that will have to do all of the maintenance a driven car would need. At least you can get in this car and drive it.

How about a little positiveness here? Here's a radical idea, why not call the owner and talk to him?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
CPR
Race Director

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ARIBOP:
" love how all you guys are so keen on offering your opinion and speculations with such certainty on a car you have never seen. Josh and I have seen the car in person and know the owner but our say does not matter much? I guess it's much more fun to put down and talk smack than it is to talk about the reality of the situation."

ARIBOP,
We offered opinions because that is what OP asked us to do....please refer to the first post in this thread.
An if all is in order, than so what? The seller has a great car which I am sure by now has already sold.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

At first I honestly thought this was yet another ebay ad posted on the 944 tech forum for people to pile on about. I mean, honestly, if I wanted to look at 944 ads on ebay all day that's where I would have my browser pointed. Last time I checked it was pointed at the Rennlist 944 tech forum.

I was actually suprised that the OP was looking for a car and really asking for opinions.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
I love how all you guys are so keen on offering your opinion and speculations with such certainty on a car you have never seen. Josh and I have seen the car in person and know the owner but our say does not matter much? I guess it's much more fun to put down and talk smack than it is to talk about the reality of the situation.

This car actually looks much better in person than in the pictures. You should at least applaud the owner for realistically showing the car instead of trying to cover up flaws.

Tom, I appreciate you standing up for the car and discounting some of the people trying to put it down.

The car has not been tracked and yes it spent some time outdoors which has attributed to the condition of some items already pointed out. Oh, and the stone guards are black.

As far as items needing replacement, like Josh stated the owner of the car owns a German car repair shop, is a PCA member, drives a 993 turbo, and loves Porsches. So he did a few upgrades and replaced some items he thought might be suspect, so what? It's one or more less things the new owner will have to worry about.

At least this car has been driven some. I have seen original turbo's with no more than 2k miles that sat in somebody's collection for 20 years. Whoever buys a car like that will have to do all of the maintenance a driven car would need. At least you can get in this car and drive it.

How about a little positiveness here? Here's a radical idea, why not call the owner and talk to him?

I value both you and Josh's opinions, which is why I asked you to tell me more about the car. Yes, we are all armchair quarterbacks until we can actually provide more personal information about a given situation. For us, it's just speculation. I greatly appreciate any and all info you guys can give on the car -- please don't think otherwise.

That said, it's only natural to be skeptical. There are a huge number of crooks out there, and ebay is second only to craigslist as far as fishy deals are concerned.

I am, actually, looking for a car. Mine is gone, and so I'm definitely looking for another (I've got the bug). So I posted up the ebay ad, hoping to generate as much discussion on the car as possible. Please don't be offended by others being critical -- it is from our deep love for these cars that this criticism stems. By and large, the contributors to this thread have been very analytical -- exactly what I want to see when I'm trying to decide on a car.

So, thank you to all who have contributed. And a particular thanks to Josh and aribop for their "first-hand" input.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Colin,
you know you want a S2.

i bought my 951 based on a few phone calls to the sellers husband, and 24 pictures on ebay.

i took a giant leap of faith when i sent $ to upstate NY for a car i never saw.

Fortunately the car is what i expected, maybe a little better.

the fact that two board members actually saw the car speaks a lot. part of the reason i would like to sell my S2 to a lister is because a few local listers have seen it, are welcome to look at it again, etc. I want the buyer to feel comfortable sending money to a stranger. i think Colin can now bid with a little more confidence...
Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
CPR
Race Director

Colin,
15k...and it is yours
Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
Colin,
15k...and it is yours
get him to come up another grand and he can have my 951S
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I wasn't at all trying to put the car down, and apologize to Mom if that story is true, but by reading the ebay ad it sounded like she was the original owner and finally decided to sell it, which isn't consistent with the carfax report of 4 owners. It's good that Aribop knows it hasn't had track time, because I really believe that it does make a difference. 200 track miles are WAY harder on a car than 200 street miles, so if you're looking at buying a 37K mile car, it does make a difference. It's a nice car Collin, but nicer than necessary for a chassis donor?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
It's a nice car Collin, but nicer than necessary for a chassis donor?
My sentiments as well. Yes, there are a large number of appealing attributes to the car, but all-in-all, I think I might've been getting a bit overzealous.

Now, I don't mean to be disparaging to the car. It's beautiful. But were I to buy it, I would've proceeded to a lot on the car...and I don't think this car deserves that kind of treatment. It seems to be in above-average condition as it is. I hope the seller gets what they want from it.

Honestly, THIS is more along the lines of what I want. Essentially every mod on this car were things I was planning on doing anyway. Plus, it's in great shape.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

collin, that is a listers car. check the 951 forum. i am pretty sure i saw the fs post there.

Quick Reply: Ebay 951: looks fishy to me