Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New torque tube little noisy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 01:29 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Default New torque tube little noisy

I got me new used torque tube today. It's from a 86 951 and the guy who was parting it claims the car only had 40,000 kms on it but that is very unlikely. the 951 had a seized turbo.

Anyways the good news it the teeth on the new torque tube look great and have no rust on them at all. The torque tube also spins freely .

2 things however I noticed is that the shaft that goes into the clutch seems to have a tiny bit of play? not sure if it's normal. The other side that goes into the coupler has zero play but that side teh shaft is much shorter.

second when I spin it the side closest to the trans side seems to make some bearing noise kind of like a little tiny metal ball rolling.

again it spins freely and easily and spinning it there is some noise but it's not anything huge, hard to explain on the net.

now I paid 150 bucks for this and i'm getting it replaced with a new clutch kit next week at a shop...... I already have the transmission out.

now I"m already pretty broke as is so I don't think I can afford to rebuild the torque tube.

so my question is could a bad bearing or noisy bearing make the car undriveable? I don't really car if the torque tube is a bit noisy as long is it doesn't effect the driveability of the car.

what do you guys think?

the guy who gave me the torque tube also gave me the coupler for free, I already bougth a coupler from ebay but the coupler from this car looks like it's in brand new condition, the teeth have no rust, the one I got from ebay has a bit of rust in it.

anyways I'm a bit worried that after paying the big bill to replace my clutch and torque tube the used torque tube could cause problems in the future.
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:36 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

so long as the torque tube bearings arent siezed up it should be fine. most of us on here have a rattling noisy TT. if it spins freely and smoothly then you should be fine until you can afford to replace the bearings. if youre feeling adventurous and have some more money while you wait on the clutch to be swapped you can get the torque tube bearing replacement procedure off clarks garage and do it yourself
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:49 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks, good to know. there also seems to be a little play at the end that goes into the engine, not much but a tiny bit of play I can feel when I try to move the shaft side to side.

I did read clarks grage instructions and I don't feel like trying to rebuild it msyelf.

I'm also seriously broke now as I'm paying to have the car towed to a shop next week to do the clutch and torque tube. I only managed to get the tranny out and have my own clutch kit, torque tube / coupler.

I'm also probably going to have the rear main seal replaced but that's it, I'm already scared of what the bill is.

Also don't want to make another thread but this shop that I'm taking it to (recommended by a rennlist member) does not give any quotes for the clutch / torque tube replacment. they told it however long it takes. that sounds a bit scarey to me as most shops give you a quote.
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

well if you can get the torque tube out yourself then alot of the labor is already taken care of. youd just be paying them to pop off the bellhousing/starter, unbolt all the clutch stuff and throw the new stuff on there. shouldnt take too long.
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:25 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I don't have time anymore. I'm just happy I got the transmission out and part of the exhaust out.

now I also have to figure out how to get my torque tube / tranny / exhaust to the mechanic shop. I don't know anyone with a pickup truck so I may have to also pay a moving person to move them for me.

so I haven't really saved any money by taking otu the transmission myself. I also payed 160 bucks for the atv jack to pull th tranny......
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

someone in the VC area please help this guy lol
Old 11-02-2008 | 02:09 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well no one can help me do this whole job in my front yard with jackstands it's just too much work. who's going to want to lie on their back for 10+ hours removing a torque tube lol.

if I had a second car I'd defintately take my time and do it myself but doing it myself will take me months because I can only work on it like one a week.

plus it's not in a garage but on my driveway and it's getting close to winter now.
Old 11-02-2008 | 02:27 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

You need to make sure your exhaust is loud enough that you can't hear the TT rattle.
Old 11-02-2008 | 02:53 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol. my stock exhaust is too quiet.

right now I have my exhuast removed at the cat and it sounds like a motorcyle. I ran it the other day to charge up the battery and it's freakin loud lol.
Old 11-02-2008 | 03:07 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
lol. my stock exhaust is too quiet.

right now I have my exhuast removed at the cat and it sounds like a motorcyle. I ran it the other day to charge up the battery and it's freakin loud lol.
You should try the muffler im running, it looks like this:

Old 11-02-2008 | 04:46 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

944 STS lol
Old 11-02-2008 | 07:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

noisy TT should still be usable. FYI I rebuilt my own TT with about $40 in bearings, $80 in bushings, and $20 in tools. It takes a while, a lot of brute effort, patience and care. So I think your best bet is to just leave this can of worms closed, don't worry about it, and just use the TT. It's not the end of the world if you ever want to take it out again and rebuild it later.

However, can you return it and try finding a TT that makes less noise? I bought a noisy core for $50 to rebuild, and the place was offering good used TTs for $100 USD.
Old 11-02-2008 | 12:07 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

You should be able to move the TT in any car that has the fold down rear seats and hatchback or passage to the trunk. Just be sure to put some sheets down so you don't slime the interior. I imagine it could even be done using a 4 door sedan with the large end on the seat and small end sticking out the far open window.
Old 11-02-2008 | 12:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
well no one can help me do this whole job in my front yard with jackstands it's just too much work. who's going to want to lie on their back for 10+ hours removing a torque tube lol.
my dad and me dropped a transaxle, rear suspension and torque tube from a parts car out in a dirt lot in 3 hours. granted there was no engine to unbolt it from but even then its just four more bolts.

Quick Reply: New torque tube little noisy