Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight of 15 inch phone dials?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just caught Skip's post, I had forgotten your car is an '88, Fuchs are out. The bolt pattern you are looking for is 5x130 IIRC, your offset should be 52.3mm, depending on tires an offset from 50 to 55 mm should be OK. If you are looking for the lightest posible set-up, 15" wheels are alot lighter than 16", but 15" tires are only a little heavier than 16". If/when I get around to a dedicated set of autox/track wheels and tires, I will most likely go for 15" Fuchs for this reason.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those wheels you listed are not available for Porsches - at least, not that was listed on the site.

The Porsche takes a 5x130 bolt pattern - there really are no good-quality *new* wheels made for the Porsche that are reasonably priced. The market is too small, especially for 16" wheels.

The most affordable and popular option is to find good used OE Porsche wheels - they are made very well in comparison to other domestic makes.

Skip
Old 05-15-2002, 06:54 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Skip:
<strong>Those wheels you listed are not available for Porsches - at least, not that was listed on the site.

The Porsche takes a 5x130 bolt pattern - there really are no good-quality *new* wheels made for the Porsche that are reasonably priced. The market is too small, especially for 16" wheels.

The most affordable and popular option is to find good used OE Porsche wheels - they are made very well in comparison to other domestic makes.

Skip</strong><hr></blockquote>

That really sucks because these new wheels are so much lighter and cheaper

Anyboyd has suggestions for light 16" I'm all ears &lt;=$1200
Old 05-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been trying to find a slightly lighter wheel w/a slightly larger diameter for my Turbo S for a LONG time, and from what I've seen, Skip's dead-on w/what he's saying (unfortunately). There is a thread on the Wheel section that has a bunch of (Porsche) wheel weights listed, and I have weighed a few myself. I've basically given up- most aftermarket rims look like **** on our cars- IMO, and if they really are lighter, then they are usually really open faced, which will make stock sized rotors look ridiculous if you go too large....
Old 05-15-2002, 07:28 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

[quote]and if they really are lighter, then they are usually really open faced, which will make stock sized rotors look ridiculous if you go too large....[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

That doesn't bother me. What have you found?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forged Volk Racing TE-37 is available in 18" only - so far. ~$650 each for those... I love the wheels, but wish to stay with 16" or 15". The price for those should be around $250 if/when they make them.

For that price range you listed, the forged TurboS wheels are a good buy. Really nothing in the aftermarket that compares - unless you can find a used set of 16" or 17" Fikse or Kinesis (16" no longer made).

Skip
Old 05-16-2002, 02:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by brh986:
<strong>

That doesn't bother me. What have you found?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Volks, as Skip listed (there are several different styles) as well as some of the BBS, etc. You really have to find some of the wheel guides and just flip through them. If you look up the thread I mentioned in the wheel section, there is a link to a HUGE wheel weight site that someone added. It has ALL KINDS OF RIMS- unfortunatly, most of the aftermarket rims out there are cheap (quality) and heavy- the affordable ones that are strong and look nice are usually heavy, and the ones that are expensive, strong, and light weight, are still heavy

It really sucks, but that's what I've found over the last several years. I, personally, would like some 17's or 18's- 18's preferably-hollow spokes are my favorite, and, the only 18's I like enough (on our cars) to use- this would help MANY areas- first off, the rear fender (wheel well area) of these cars looks ****ty (IMO) and the rear wheel needs to be enlarged (RD and all), as well as brought out to the outer edge of the fender a little. An 18 w/a 275/35/18 or 285/35/18 would fill it up nicely- it would also make the gearing a little taller (something this car needs- turbo- when modded a little- ESPECIALLY 5TH- it could use a little more leg no matter what- keep in mind that I am talking about a street car though). This tire size would have a short profile, but large enough to keep the rims from being in constant jeopardy. The big prob here is that the more normal sized 12" rotors would look ridiculously small. If going w/17's, I always liked the looks of the C2's (17" 968 rim)- but they are ~3lbs heavier per rim. The only 17" Porsche rim that is actually lighter than the Club Sport is the (cast) 993- I never liked the looks of them as much as my Club Sports, except that they are a little larger, and, the tire size would add a touch to the RD- they also happen to be one to two pounds lighter than the Club Sports- based on what I've seen from others. This, unfortunately, is where I will probably be going if I keep the car- unless I can find some (slightly) larger rotors, that are much lighter, to compensate for something else- CERAMICS?

Oh well, for your interests, I would probably recommend the Club Sports- you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a set- otherwise the magnesiums, but those are tough to find, and really aren't THAT much lighter anyway...

Take a look at the list in the wheel section...

Quick Reply: weight of 15 inch phone dials?