Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a 951 orque tube fit my na?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default will a 951 orque tube fit my na?

I found a 951 torque tube I might be able to get cheap. I already have a used trans coupler also so I'm thinking of just taking both parts to my porsche mechanic and paying the 14 hours labour or whatever to get it fixed.

I still can't get my trans coupler out so I can't tell if my torque tube actually needs replacing but that's what the porsche shop told me and I really want to get the car fixed asap so I have no other choice.

also if the 951 tq tube does fit what should I look for to see if it isn't a bad torque tube and what should I offer the guy?

junk yards here are selling tq tubes for 250 bucks I'm hoping I can get it much cheaper from this guy.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it is the same. It will fit.

Again, if you could get someone to help you I am certain it is probably just your coupler that is whacked. Buying a TT and paying a mech to install it sounds like a total waste of funds if you aren't certain that is the problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

14 hours!? NO F'n WAY!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well the car has been down for over a week now and I need a car asap.

if I pay 1500-2000 for another car it won't be a mint condition car that needs no repairs so I'll have to spend money on 2 cars and I'd rather get my 944 on the road again vs a rusty toyota tercel.

I can't get that damn coupler off and I tried everything so I can't see if I need a new torque tube or not.

I know I'll get screwed taking it to a shop but I have no other choice right now. i'm probably going to offer 100 bucks for that torque tube today.

I made an appointment at Scan in north vancouver to get the torque tube / coupler replaced (I told them i'm not sure if the torque tube is stripped).

they charge about 100 bucks an hour and they wouldn't even quote me on replacing the torque tube. They said however long it takes......

so could be 20 hours labour who knows. weissach in vancouver quoted me 14 hours to replace the torque tube / coupler and they are the ones that told me they are both stripped.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

i thought you worked at a shop. it isnt that tough to change, if they cant do that they shouldnt be changing oil on buicks.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen several times where Rich Sandor and others in your neck of the woods said they would help. Why not take them up on the offer?

It seems you are listening to none of us.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

^ not sure what you mean. I have tried getting help from board members. One rennlist member did offer to help me but he lives way too far away and it's quite a distance to tow the car all the way there.

I did talk to Rich also but he's pretty busy right now.

the shop I work at does do clutches and even engine swaps but mostly on domestic cars and japanese cars. They won't do anything other than minor repairs on european cars.

problem is I have a long commute everyday and busing doesn't really work for me with my schedule so I need to fix the car asap, can't wait for another month.

if I do bring it to a shop to replace the whole torque tube/ coupler I might as well order in a new clutch kit also as I doubt there would be much additional labour after the torque tube is out of the car.

I know a shop will screw me with labour for this repair but I don't seem to have much other choices right now.

I tried pulling the trans out mysel fand the only thing stopping me right now is that coupler which is not coming.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you contact "theedge" (Brian)? He has had these apart a few times.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the shop you work on should be able to change a torque tube. have you spoken to them about working on the car with you or letting you work on it after hours?

if they can change a clutch on a japanese car they can change a clutch on a german car. metric tools will work equally well on a german car as they work on a japanese car. the torque tube is a tube connected on both ends. not that complex, definitely not rocket science. tow it once and get it on a lift, remove tube, reinstall tube. viola.

check out sites like clarks garage and blazeks site. they will have useful how to pages, and the haynes manual for about ten bucks has good how to instructions as well. i have one.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

its easy dooood. you could do it in a day with a friend. it doesnt take any real mechanical skill just a big wrench and a bunch of sockets and maybe a lever to pry the rear suspension off the body. use ur jack to lower the tranny to the ground
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id be constsntly asking questions if i were doing this also, but i would try everything, and everyone before i paid a "professional" to do it.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I only have one day a week of work / school and I have other things to do then also.

that coupler is stuck and isn't coming off so I pretty much have to give up on it as I'm just wasting more of my time trying to get it to come off.

I can get a shop to fix it on oct .15th. I have to wait another 10 business days to get my clutch kit in.

If I pay to get the tq tube replaced might as well also put in a brand new clutch.

I'm just worried that I'll get a defective tq tube.

anyone know how I could "test" the tq tube before buying one.

would a tq tube be affected by a wreck? the turbo that I can get the tq tube off of was wrecked.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you needed the car asap like 10 days ago, you have survived this far.. so just save yourself a few grand and figure it out.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
camelot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep on him guys. If you want to own one of these cars and your not a DR, lawyer or Indian chief your gonna have to work on it yourself. Keep at it. Soak the S*#@t out of the coupler. it will come3 off! I had 1 get stuck also. Alex
Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by camelot
Keep on him guys. If you want to own one of these cars and your not a DR, lawyer or Indian chief your gonna have to work on it yourself. Keep at it. Soak the S*#@t out of the coupler. it will come3 off! I had 1 get stuck also. Alex
There are at least three lawyers that are regulars on this forum, and we all have to work on em ourselves. so now it is down to Dr. or Indian Chief.

Quick Reply: will a 951 orque tube fit my na?