Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

%%^$# Sunroof Gear/Limit Switches-Anyone have better instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post %%^$# Sunroof Gear/Limit Switches-Anyone have better instructions?

Tried to follow the FAQ directions from Paragon (or was it Pelican?) Anyway, several non-sequitars and misplaced words only add to the confusion. My car is an '87. Changed the one gear that was stripped (driver's side) just fine. Indexed it by counting exposed teeth to match the passenger side one (it was not stripped) then tried it a few times and the limit switches are obviously broken or adjusted wrong and the new gear got trashed as well

Changed to a new gear again and now the "good" arm (not stripped, I checked) won't retract all the way. The directions seems complex. Is there a more simple way to do this job? Can someone please explain? Email me off line if you think this has been covered to death.
If someone in SoCal knows how to do this, I'll PAY you to come out and show me how to fix this Madre de la Chingada!

Thanks somebody
Old 04-25-2002, 03:37 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The directions I found made sense after I read them 600 times.

Post the link to the instructions you have and what the problem you're having is and maybe I can help.

When did it strip the gears? There are 3 limit switches. One is when you're raising the sunroof, another is for when you lower it, and the third one I don't really remember. However, there is no limit switch to retract the arms (to remove the roof)...the slip-clutch has to be adjusted properly though.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Adrial, I got the car a little over a year ago with 59K miles - it had been stored. I know the prior owners and they almost never took the roof off - makes me wonder why anything like the slip clutch would be out of adjustment - not enough wear yet(?). When I got the car the arms would not stop retracting to hold the roof down automatically. I had to look up at the arms and judge when they were holding it enough. That went on for months (I should have fixed it then) and then all of a sudden one day the driver's side arm sort of stuttered when being rolled down/retracted and from the sound I knew the gear was cooked. This probably caused the arm to lose it's "place" or indexing, but I ws able to make it retract all the way and left it that way with the roof held on only by the front latches and by opening the window a crack when driving faster than 55MPH. Now, I've swapped the driver's gear - correctly matched to the passenger's side (number of teeth exposed) and SOME FRIGGIN thing is causing the amrs to first retract too far (eating the new gear) then not retract enough - so the amrs were sticking out of the body about two inches. I had to manually disasemble the arms from the drive mechanism to get thwe roof to lay down flat. As a side issue, what the hell is uop with Porsche not allowing one additional damn 1/16th inch of headliner material so I could get the thing back on there tight? Geez, this is frustrating me. The instructions I am using are from <a href="http://golden-tech.com/images/sunroof.html" target="_blank">http://golden-tech.com/images/sunroof.html</a>
Old 04-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain. I am having a similar problem, with similar sentiments regarding the sunroof. I've replaced the gears (first both sides then one side only) several times. I now have it where it opens (but I don't think as much as it's supposed to)OK but if I try to retract it wants topull the arms in too far (bye bye gear!) If I try to give more raising room, the roof will be too loose. I should be thankful that the roof is secured and I can raise it for some ventilation but I was beginning to enjoy having an opening sunroof. Mine is an 87.

I think this problem is common enough to keep topics active/repeated.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,,been there, done that. I had a similar problem,,I read through an article that I found at Pelican, tech something, 944 board,,anyway the author was "unknown". I popped the roof out by getting the covers off and coaxing the arms out. I then checked the front micro switch,,no problems there, but if you check that front one, be VERY gentle getting the tabs loose, they will break if you breathe wrong. The limit switches in the back, the two that are together I and II are to stop the roof, the other signals for indent 1 to lower the arms. With the roof out, I ran the motor "closed" until you get it to stop on the first switch. That should be the position of your roof closed.
What I did at this point, probably not the right way, is that I put the arms in the roof, lowered the roof and latched the front. I then moved the arms into the gears with the tab on the arm just past the "V" if you will in the roof, one tooth. Installed the covers; Raised it, lowered it, turned ignition off, hit indent one, pushed the sunroof switch, it released. After this I had my wife raise and lower it while I watched the limit switches. The limit switch on the raise even worked out to match, all is well so far.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

OK.
First order of business:
There is NO limit switch when you go to retract the arms. When the arms are fully retracted, the motor keeps spinning, but the clutch slips and therefor the gears don't strip. If the clutch is too tight, it strips.

Second: Here's the link for the 944 sunroof repair guide. <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_Sunroof/944_sunroof.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_Sunroof/944_sunroof.htm</a>
Don't skim it, READ it (the parts that apply to your car).

If you don't have a second person to work the sunroof switch while you watch the microswitches, you can use a 23mm socket on the sunroof motor itself and turn it manually. Be gentle though...don't wanna strip the gears when you get to the fully retracted position.

If you have any questions..feel free to ask. I've got the workings of it down pretty well I think.

good luck!

--Adrial
Old 04-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrial if that "I" limit, which has an indent on the plastic pc in the back, what does it do? #II stops the roof but #I??? TIA.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:12 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Limit switch "I" is the one that stops the sunroof when you're lowering it (not removing it).

Limist switch "II" is hit as soon as the arms start to retract (you're removing the roof...)...this switch being hit allows you to return the lifting arms to the locked position (driving with sunroof down).

"As soon as the arms start to retract to the disengaged or released position, limit switch II is made. Limit switch I and II are now both closed. This is what allows the arms to be moved from the retracted to the locked position with the ignition switch in Position 1." from the pelican site.

And obviously, limit switch "III" stops the roof from opening too far.

So limit switch "II" doesn't actually stop anything, but messes with what the sunroof switch can do in various ignition positions. (I think, i know for sure it doesn't actually stop anything).

On my car I stripped one old gear and one new gear setting it up, mostly because I didn't read the instructions thoroughly enough and figured I'd just wing it.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well if you winged it I must have gotten lucky on a "wing and a prayer"..LOL!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Adrial, Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this thread.
This Pelican article is the one I printed out and was attempting to use. |I feel like I studying for a test when I read this damn thing. It is unclear...unless, of course, you already understand what it is referring to. I have read it over and over in detail...it's full of non sequiters and misused words so in somecases I can't tell what it is decscribing or what I'm supposed to do. Jeeez, I've rebuilt engines that were more simple than this F'ing sunroof system!
Even your attempt at explanation is hard to understand.
Frankly it's gobbledy-gook to me and I'll try again in the morning when I'm not ready to beat the **** out of it with a hammer. I SINCERELY thank you for your patient attempts to make me understand this though. My Masters degree was less difficult than this thing. The way it's going I will eat all four new geasrs I bought and still not get it working properly.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:42 AM
DennisR
Advanced

Loosen the locknut on the slip clutch and set it to where it will *just* lift the roof without slipping. This will keep the new gears from stripping until you get the micro-switches figured out. Believe me...the $5 gears can get expensive if you don't.

Quick Reply: %%^$# Sunroof Gear/Limit Switches-Anyone have better instructions?