Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Alternator Bracket Install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Alternator Bracket Install!

Well, on the quest for light-ness, and after some talking with members around here, I decided to install a "Lightweight Alternator Relocator Bracket" on my 1984 Porsche 944. I grabbed one from a guy in Tucson (you can find him on eBay; search 944 A/C). It was relatively cheap and perfect for when you remove your Air Conditioning for the track.

Ill start this write-up as most do. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS! THIS CAN RUIN YOUR CAR! DONT DO ANYTHING DUMB!

This whole project can be done on Ramps, in about two hours if you have the parts ready.

Now, Ill be starting this write-up from the point where the A/C Compressor was already removed. I unbolted mine, discharged it, and cut the hoses. It just drops out of the bottom of the car. I'll remove the rest of the system (condensor, lines,etc.) at another time.

First, disconnect the Battery as its time to start work on the alternator.
Pull back your airbox and MAF Sensor, (I didn't unplug mine because I hate risking expensive electronic connections). Just lay them out of the way so you can see your alternator.

Since you removed your A/C Compressor, the belt is already off of the alternator. So go ahead and disconnect the wires on the back of the alternator. Be careful here, they are old! Pull them out of the way.

After this, there is a long bolt holding the Alternator on, like a hinge. Take off just the nut. Then, on the bottom of the alternator, there is another bolt that needs to be removed. When you have removed the lower bolt, remove the top bolt (the Hinge) and slowly pull out the alternator. Here, it helps to have an extra set of hands.

This is what it looks like after this step:

You see the Alternator bracket, and where the alternator was attached...

The Old alternator bracket ( The Huge, gray, cast object the alternator was bolted to ) is now coming out. The bolts holding it are large, and take some strength to get off. Once you get them loose, it lifts right off.

This is the new Lightweight Bracket against the Heavy OEM

After that, just bolt the new bracket in place using four New bolts. The size I used are 10mm x 1.5 x 40mm. I bought mine at the local Home Depot. Slap on some Loctite and tighten them down as you would a wheel.

After this, Hang the alternator, using the bolt from the original hinge, onto the new bracket. You'll have to insall the alternator from the bottom of the car. Attach the Air Conditioner's old tension adjuster bar to the bottom hole of the Alternator and just snug up all of the bolts.

Now, go and re-attach the wires from the back of the Alternator, reinstalling the factory boot over the terminal.

Its now time to install the belt. After removing the power steering belt to sneak this one behind it, the job is almost done. I used a belt from Advance Auto (its only three rib.And because of availability I had to run this temp setup. Im getting the right belt soon.)

The Right belt is available through Napa (5-rib:25050288, for 6-rib the number is 25060288). Thanks, "King of the Delete" Aka moorepower!

Tighen up the Mounting Hinge, then put some tension on the belt. Re-install the power steering belt.

Reassemble the Airbox and make sure everything is correct. Connect the battery and you're all done!

Last edited by thewerxracing; 09-22-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

If anyone sees any mistakes, please PM me and Ill get to editing, I did this before class so I didnt have time to proofread!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 213 Posts

Excellent, exactly what I need. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Glad to help!

The Car will be undergoing a lot of modifications and also just basic work. I figured I might as well contribute with a few write-ups!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Ok guys, Its time to remove everything else. Evap., lines, etc. Where Can I find a list of things that can now be gone?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I would washers on those bolts. Nice write up. Is that your scubby?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of weight savings is this good for?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
moorepower
Pro

One of the websites that sells these things says it saves about 45lbs. That sounds about right, including the evaporator, condenser coil, lines, and compressor. One of these days I'm going to weigh all the AC crap I pulled out of my car and see what the difference really is.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

I can say the compressor alone seems like 45, but thats just me hoping for more weight in the box rather than on the car.

reno, yep-thats her. Its my daily/rally toy. Its at 380whp on a street tune, with leaded 110 it sees fours. But its too expensive to keep it on the road and race with it, so thats where the new 944 comes in.

moore, we talked a little about this before. But do you have a list of everything, and a general location for the things to be yanked?

edit: thats what she said.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The a/c compressor and bracket alone is about 24lbs.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Is anyone else running this set-up besides me?

What belts are you using?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am running a factory AC delete bracket.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Okie Dokie.
Where is your alternator located? Lower in the engine compartment, horizontally inline with the main pulley?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Okay, so you're using this-

What size belt do you have on it?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That billet delete bracket works great. I've been using it for a couple years now with no issues and it is WAY lighter than the factory delete piece.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Alternator Bracket Install!