Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automotive Engineering schools??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 AM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive Engineering schools??

i've been looking at automotive technician schools, mainly for UTI's Porsche apreentice program... but im also interested in the engineering part.. anybody have a degree in AE, or have any suggestions to any prestigious schools?

any help is much appreciated
Old 09-18-2008, 02:33 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i think michigan does. there's no doubt better one's out there though. if you have the grades, MIT likely has one.

google will return some good schools.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

http://www.kettering.edu/futurestude...e/programs.jsp

I had a buddy go to Kettering with a specialty in AE. Also, there is a school down south (maybe around Clemson) that had a pretty good AE program with BMW.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

AE will limit your opportunities quite a bit. I would suggest go Mech E and focus on automotive afterwards. It will give you far more options when you graduate as well as the opportunity to get out if AE isn't your thing. Find a school with an Formula SAE team, a decent ME program, and you shouldn't have any issue finding a spot in the auto industry when you graduate, with the added options if you decide its not for you.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with Bill. I have a BSME and thought hard about just doing the AE route. ME's can do what the AE's do and more but the AE's have a strong focus on automotive engineering design and failure mechanisms versus ME's much broader curriculum.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the UTI PTAP program and love every minute of my job, I work for the most profitable car company in the world and get to drive these cars everyday... It really is a great job.

Mark
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have inside knowledge on the UTI programs just like Marky does. We even went to the same school here in Mooresville. PM me or Marky if you need more info.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

You are from Houston!! Go to A&M. They have an excellent Formula car program there. Better than our's sometimes . (UT) We are very good for mechanical engineering as well. (better imo) I agree with the above statements. Don't narrow your window to just AE, get an ME and then focus on AE. In texas, A&m and UT are your best bet, though UTSA, and UNT both have rapidly expanding engineering programs right now...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas has some great state schools (lower tuition) for engineering. I would also recommend going after an ME as opposed to focusing so specifically on one specialty. If you ever change your mind, an ME gives you an awful lot of options. I know several people who got jobs with Toyota, Ford, and Honda with BSME's from University of Illinois.

If you do decide to pursue a degree, definitely look into some of the Student SAE programs. They offer great experience and great contacts.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjburges
You are from Houston!! Go to A&M. They have an excellent Formula car program there. Better than our's sometimes . (UT) We are very good for mechanical engineering as well. (better imo) I agree with the above statements. Don't narrow your window to just AE, get an ME and then focus on AE. In texas, A&m and UT are your best bet, though UTSA, and UNT both have rapidly expanding engineering programs right now...

If you want a terrific FSAE program, don't go to the U of Arizona. Although we do have a blast every year winning cost and not having an advisor there to kill our sense of adventure!

Kettering is a great school, albeit limited. My good friend (azmi951 here on the 'List) went there and he's very happy with the choice (although not the associated debt). However, all you'll be doing at an engineering school is engineering. Not as well-rounded as at a state school, for example. But, if that suits you, go for it!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Another suggestion- a Manuafacturing Engineering degree gives you a good balance of useful mechanical, electrical, and production process experience (machinning, welding, casting, fabrication, etc) which are all used in the automotive industry. I'd guess that a small number of ME's actually get a job designing cars, so if you just want to be in the industry, the manufacturing end may be worth pursuing if that interests you.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely go to a state school or at least a public school. Tuition is less, most have good programs, plus you get the fun of not having to be around engineers the whole time, compared to a strictly engineering school, and the party scene is always better. Plus...there's girls!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
vro944om
Racer

Any more info on the ME part? Texas A&M would be great because that's where everyone on my mom's side of the family has gone.

Quick Reply: Automotive Engineering schools??