Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay mechanic says I need new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Okay mechanic says I need new clutch

Went to weissach today and this guys just drove my car around the corner and came back and said the clutch is failing.

My problem was that I'd get a clunk sometimes when shifting not from the clutch bellhousing but from the transmission (trans would shake side to side and clunk). past 2 weeks I've managed to drive it without any clunks at all.

the guy told me it's normal for the trans to move but he didn't give me any explanations as to why I'd hear a clunk noise from the transmission.

he said it was the clutch because he said upon deceleration the engine would whine and make a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound when decelerating in gear and he tells me that is the rubber centre clutch failing.

the previous owner told me he isntalled a new sachs clutch kit but had no receipt for that.

can a bad rubber centre clutch really cause the transmission to make a clunk sound and shake?

my car only clunks sometimes now if I don't shift properly.

I also had my car on stands and dropped the clutch in first gear and the trans would shake violently and cluk.

so can a bad rubber clutch be the cause of the transmission shaking and clunking?

anyways think I'll order a new clutch kit now. the porsche shop does work on 944s and told me labour would be about 8.5 hours at 109 an hour. He wanted to book me for a clutch change next week but I told him I'll have to order a clutch first and then I'll phone back later.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check your tranny fluid and tranny mounts?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I changed the tranny fluid like a couple months ago to redline and the car shifts good and no grinding etc.

possible that the tranny mount is bad also. my rear exhaust is also missing one hanger and when I shake the exhaust teh tranny shakes with it also .

but the porsche mechanic claims my clutch is faing. He said the "neeeeeeeeeeee" whinning sound when you let off the cas on deceleration means the clutch is bad.

but yes it puzzles me as to why a bad clutch would make the trans clunk. if I put the car on stands and in gear with the car running then depress teh clutch and release it the transmission shakes side to side adn goes clunk.

when I drive it at speed I can keep the transmission from clunking but revmatching and shifting more smoothly. I have pretty much eliminated the clunking the past 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
speedtek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to open the inspection hole and see if the rubber center is still there.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

huh?

can you post a pic of the inspection cover?

I have looked under the car and I see a tiny hole and couldn't see anything in there. I also removed the starter and still couldn't see anything.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Don't drive too much. When my the PO drove it too much when the rubber center clutch was failing and not long after I bought it the trans coupler also went out.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

how labour intensive and expensive is it to replace teh trans coupler?

with my trans shaking and clunking sometimes maybe the coupler has arleady been damaged?

anyways I'm going to order the clutch today and trust that guy that the clutch is bad. It'll probably be another 3-4 weeks before I get it replaced though.

I drive the car to university 4 days a week and work, it is my only car / daily driver so I got no choice.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

the cheapest clutch kit I found online will be about 550 dollars shipped to me.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

If the couple is bad, buy a used one. A new one is ungodly expensive... $600+ list IIRC.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

don't have money for that now lol. I have to replace the clutch first.

is the labour for the coupler crazy like the clutch?

I was quoted 8.5 hours for the clutch
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the coupler is just the sleeve that holds the two shafts together.. it involves pulling the tranny , sliding the new coupler on the shaft then putting the tranny back in. It's not hard.. probably a 5 hour job as long as you don't have trouble separating things.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i hear a neeeee sound on deceleration that is the bad torque tube bearings...
Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is still drivable you should've waited for the people who are trying out different clutches to get done.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

^ what do you mean?

yes the car is still very much driveable. This is going to cost me at least 1600 bucks if I get it done at a shop. In the states you can buy a running 944 with that money lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Never heard of a "neeeeeeeeeeee" whining sound on decel being a fool proof way to tell if the clutch is bad. It might mean that it is slipping from wear but a bad rubber clutch goes 'clunk' and a slipping clutch doesn't. Like mentioned above look in the inspection hole on the bellhousing and see if there are small rubber chunks. If the PO truly replaced the clutch then it would not be rubber and the clunk would be coming from somehere else. If your coupling had a few sheared splines it would not be intermittent like you say; it would hold until it failed all at once. In previous posts you said you checked the freeplay in your driveline and it did not rotate like a failed clutch. IMO I would make sure it's the clutch before laying down that kind of money based on that shops opinion Get underneath the car and try to push the TA side to side and up. If it moves all over the place I bet your clunk is the TA mount hitting something. Try to do the driveline rotation test again and put some muscle into it; if your rubber clutch is bad it will turn at least a 1/2" each way. Ask your mechanic to explain why the shaft doesn't rotate if the rubber clutch is shot. It's a no brainer for a good mechanic unless he's looking for a nice $$$ job to help with his kids braces.

Quick Reply: Okay mechanic says I need new clutch