Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEVELOPEMENT: new 951 SPLITTERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
A prairie dog would be fine also. I'm in for one unless a gerbil damages it and lives.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

On Topic: Yes, a view from the side showing the cross-section would be most appreciated.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally much prefer the look of the AIR splitter. I dont think a flatter plate shape like the GTracing version would look very good on NA's.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Riff
Been watching this and the thread on the turbo board. First off, kudos for getting this going! Second, what is the cross section of the splitter like as it is not clear from the picture. Is it contoured like the AIR spoiler or more of a flat plate like the GT racing one?

Thanks,

One of the big concerns (other than fragility and high cost) was ground clearance AND actual functionality. To achieve both of these I opted for a semi-flat contour plate. Meaning a 5 degree frontal incline (lead edge is level on plane) transitioning to flatted tension contour at underbody termination points. The splitter thickness, depending on style, is either 3/16" or 1/4" with an incorporated bevel edge. The rigid properties of ABS (from horizontal load) allowed us to make a longer, thinner splitter which created significant air re-direction characteristics not realistically achievable in a shorter, fatter "wedge" style due its' inability to effectively "slice" or "split" through the air.

The basic concept is to create and maintain a high pressure area the upper side to negate h.p. flow underneath of the car. This results in a low pressure presence underneath, and at the rear, thus creating greater downforce (read: less lift) which by definition allows for better overall steering,control and traction....especially in a competitive environment (NASCAR practically lives and dies by this concept). Thinner/flatter materials simply equal a better "splitting" plane.

^^^^^^While this item may not appeal to everyone, I do feel it is a cost effective, lightweight, durable, functional and attractive alternative to the current market options.

I hope this helped to answer your questions and provide a little more insight as to my design decision. If you need any furhter clarifications I will be happy to try. Thanks.

Cheers

Patrick
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 AM
gizmozoid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful! Thanks for making these. I'm interested in one.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR

^^^^^^While this item may not appeal to everyone, I do feel it is a cost effective, lightweight, durable, functional and attractive alternative to the current market options.
May not appeal to everyone, but you feel it's an attractive alternative? Do you know the real reason people buy the AIR? They don't purchase it for it's functionality, it's a appearance item. It makes the front of the 951 look like what it's supposed to. I'm sorry, but comparing the GT Racing to the AIR, it's a wonder GT Racing even sells any. It looks so gawdy. Sure, it's nice that it has ground clearance, but it's got to be the ugliest thing ever.

I'm going to have to say from the view in that picture and how thing you'd described this, it's not more attractive (except to you, which isn't the point).

These flat type of splitters just dont look right on 951's. The way the bumper is rounded on the front, it messes up the lines. The bumper curves down, then bam, the splitter just goes straight out. No curve down or anything (if it's like the GT Racing).

Not trying to discredit anything here like I've said before, it's just...look how many guys run the GT Racing splitter (I know of two). I know a lot of guys are on board for this one, but it's mainly due to it's toughness and being it's cost alternative option. Not because it looks better.

Definitely can't wait to see V2 and V3. Hopefully they'll be more AIR type and functional. You'd have a REAL seller if you went that route.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
May not appeal to everyone, but you feel it's an attractive alternative? Do you know the real reason people buy the AIR? They don't purchase it for it's functionality, it's a appearance item. It makes the front of the 951 look like what it's supposed to. I'm sorry, but comparing the GT Racing to the AIR, it's a wonder GT Racing even sells any. It looks so gawdy. Sure, it's nice that it has ground clearance, but it's got to be the ugliest thing ever.

I'm going to have to say from the view in that picture and how thing you'd described this, it's not more attractive (except to you, which isn't the point).

These flat type of splitters just dont look right on 951's. The way the bumper is rounded on the front, it messes up the lines. The bumper curves down, then bam, the splitter just goes straight out. No curve down or anything (if it's like the GT Racing).

Not trying to discredit anything here like I've said before, it's just...look how many guys run the GT Racing splitter (I know of two). I know a lot of guys are on board for this one, but it's mainly due to it's toughness and being it's cost alternative option. Not because it looks better.

Definitely can't wait to see V2 and V3. Hopefully they'll be more AIR type and functional. You'd have a REAL seller if you went that route.

Glad to see your same level of optimism is ever present. As I continue to say...I am overjoyed that you love your AIR splitter and wish you nothing but years of continued use and happiness.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Definetly the GT splitter is an issue of function over form.

I don't mind the "flatness" of the GT splitter as much as the shape. It just looks funky, especially at the sides where it curves out and around a little too much. This just accentuates the "flatness" issue in my mind.

I like this new splitter that is pictured in this thread. The shape is much better than the GT and offers more clearance than the AIR.

So, ranking appearance we have:

1. AIR
2. CPR
3. GT

In order of function we have:

1. CPR/GT (tie)
3. AIR

Combine the two lists above, and the CPR wins with the lowest score of 3, followed by the GT and AIR tied at 4.

FWIW I've had both the AIR and GT. The GT is currently on my car because I was tired of whacking the AIR and was willing to settle for GT's function over form. This new splitter looks promising.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
First accept my apology...this should have been posted here as well as the turbo forum.

I also import "968 style" rear wings, clear side lenses, etc... for our cars. I am currently waiting for my Rennns sponsorship to get finalized before I can open that segment up again. However, feel free to explore this thread for more insight on the wings.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/450621-rear-wings-updated-please-read.html

Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:27 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Definetly the GT splitter is an issue of function over form.

I don't mind the "flatness" of the GT splitter as much as the shape. It just looks funky, especially at the sides where it curves out and around a little too much. This just accentuates the "flatness" issue in my mind.

I like this new splitter that is pictured in this thread. The shape is much better than the GT and offers more clearance than the AIR.

So, ranking appearance we have:

1. AIR
2. CPR
3. GT

In order of function we have:

1. CPR/GT (tie)
3. AIR

Combine the two lists above, and the CPR wins with the lowest score of 3, followed by the GT and AIR tied at 4.

FWIW I've had both the AIR and GT. The GT is currently on my car because I was tired of whacking the AIR and was willing to settle for GT's function over form. This new splitter looks promising.
Thanks for the kind words.

For the most part there has been alot of positive feedback. In this day and age of an ever increasing shrinking 944/951 aero vendor/supplier market, I think most were just excited that someone was still paying attention to this model, outside of engine performance, and actually willing to invest $10k+ of their personal money (molds and templates alone were over 10k), to develop a product(s) for a car that has been out of production for 17 years.

Patrick

Last edited by CPR; 09-12-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

CPR-

Thank you for the description of the splitter. From the pic in your new avatar it looks like your version mates to the body in a very elegant way, which was my big concern. Again thanks for doing this! I hope to buy one in the future.

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Thanks for the kind words.

For the most part there has been alot of positive feedback. In this day and age of an ever increasing shrinking 944/951 aero vendor/supplier market, I think most were just excited that someone was still paying attention to this model, outside of engine performance, and actually willing to invest $10k+ of their personal money (molds and templates alone were over 10k), to develop a product(s) for a car that has been out of production for 17 years.

Patrick
any wind tunnel?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Boy someone pissed in the collective Cheerios bowl of Rennlist this weekend!

CPR, keep up the great work.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to see what the final product looks like, colour matched to the car.
(The AIR splitter is beautiful). I must admit I´m more interested in form than function.
Shipping to Norway could be a challenge........
Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
I need to see what the final product looks like, colour matched to the car.
(The AIR splitter is beautiful). I must admit I´m more interested in form than function.
Shipping to Norway could be a challenge........
Scnellfahrer,
I could not agree more. The AIR spoiler is a very sharp looking add-on. However, after replacing 2 in under a year (over $1200.00usd including prep/painting) and listening to alot of similiar stories from other owners, I figured there had to be another option. Also the finished product looks alot better than the mock-up and is not "flat" on the sides like the mock-up....it is however flat on the front protrusion as this is the only true method of properly "splitting" the air. A wedge type punches to big of a hole in the air, thereby not allowing the air to travel as tightly to the roof lines and be directed to the lip of the rear spolier (READ:rear downforce), and subsequently does not restrict high pressure areas from forming underneath the car which, in turn, creates "lift". As this little project started to take shape more people were interested in function first, with appearance running a close second. I beleive we have achieved both and at roughly half the cost of anyone else.

And as with any product, it is not for everyone. It is simply an alternative to what is currently available. I have complete confidence that this product will be extremely beneficial to many users in a performance, appearance and cost effective manner...as a matter of fact I have wagered several, several thousands on it.

*also EU inventory will be stocked in Blackburn & Liverpool, England. So Norway will not be a problem
Old 09-14-2008, 10:11 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Boy someone pissed in the collective Cheerios bowl of Rennlist this weekend!

CPR, keep up the great work.

Could not have said it better...and they wonder why more people are hesitant to do anything! No worries though..in a matter of a few weeks splitters will be done, and I can get back to me pints...something that truly is function over form!

Cheers

PATRICK

Quick Reply: DEVELOPEMENT: new 951 SPLITTERS