Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler thread: NA Bumper alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Feeler thread: NA Bumper alternative

For the past week or so I have been making a mold out of high-density foam. The mold is designed to replace the standard (some would say ugly) NA bumper. It almost completely fills the "fish mouth" that you'd see by taking off your bumper (old pic attached).

The piece will match the contours and shapes of the valence and will be the same angle as the header panel but stepped out on the top to make room for the bumper shocks.

I'm wondering that if this all works out well for me if any of you would be interested in a copy of the piece I will make. I have not yet made my final piece but I spent yesterday fiberglassing my mold for rigidity, maybe later I can sand it and mount it on the car for some preliminary pictures.

My idea with this is that it would give the appearance of a European bumper (I can build a structure that could support another lamp in the backing of the piece). I plan on this piece being able to reuse the stock turn signals. I will attach a really crappy 2 minute photoshop job of what the finished product might look like.

Considering that GT-Racing wants to sell a Euro bumper for ~$300 this piece will be at a significant discount compared to that. However considering the amount of time I have put into this so far and the cost of materials I was thinking maybe $100. That price is variable depending on any special requests you have relating to light structures or whatever.

Let me know if you guys are potentially interested; I will put up finished pictures when that time comes (probably within the next few days).

Interested so far:
Potomac-Greg
CameronKame
Marcquito
Johnny Johnny
m73m95
luckybastard

Potentially interested?:
intrepidagent
spidey944
harrisonrick
kandyinmyvan
MyBlackCar
87 944 C
Whisper
Attached Images   

Last edited by V2Rocket; 09-13-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested. Even more so if you can build brake duct inlets into it! (But seriously, I would be interested just to do away with the ugly (and heavy) bumper.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am interested...
Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I applaud your work however I'd be more interested in a bottom lip / "splitter" for the 944 NA front spoiler.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good V2. Should get a LOT of interest if done well!! Keep it up.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So is the final product going to be fiberglass? If so, I recommend Fiberglass Warehouse down in La Mesa for supplies. They have great prices and are very helpful, and they are one of the few places that had carbon fiber a couple years ago when it was very scarce.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the euro front bumper...
Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

interested here. be sure to hurry before i buy a turbo nose.

maybe you should use the S2/turbo rear mounting bracket? It may give you something to help with your shape and mounting.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Interested. Even more so if you can build brake duct inlets into it! (But seriously, I would be interested just to do away with the ugly (and heavy) bumper.
I was thinking with my own car to move the foglights to the new piece and use the old foglight locations for ducts...but the thought has crossed my mind. It would take alot more work and time but I could probably do it if you really wanted me to. It would probably be easier to make a separate piece for the ducts and install them later...
Originally Posted by intrepidagent
I applaud your work however I'd be more interested in a bottom lip / "splitter" for the 944 NA front spoiler.
Give me enough time and I'm sure I could make something like that work. It would probably have to screw into the lower valence though for mounting, maybe I could rig up some chassis attach points too.

Originally Posted by alex
So is the final product going to be fiberglass? If so, I recommend Fiberglass Warehouse down in La Mesa for supplies. They have great prices and are very helpful, and they are one of the few places that had carbon fiber a couple years ago when it was very scarce.
I'll look into them thanks for the lead

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Looks like the euro front bumper...
That's part of the idea except it wont stick out as far as the real thing and will be even lighter.

Originally Posted by Marcquito
interested here. be sure to hurry before i buy a turbo nose.

maybe you should use the S2/turbo rear mounting bracket? It may give you something to help with your shape and mounting.
What I'm thinking of doing should be even better; I plan on it at least mounting to the stock bumper shocks. I would highly recommend finding some aluminum or steel C-channel to act as the actual chassis protection that could be mounted across the bumper shocks and behind the fiberglass

All this might take some time as I will be moving to Riverside in about a week and a half and will be starting school. I won't be back here in San Diego until early October, but it's good to see some of you are interested. I'll try to get as much of this out of the way ASAP...I still need to finish my mold, sand it and fill it for evenness so I should probably go do that lol.

I'll keep you guys updated as things progress.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be interested in something like this which was started a few years ago but apparently went nowhere:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=snub+bumper
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Add one more that's interested!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

UNFINISHED PROJECTS ARE NOT COOL!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

lol marc - that reminds me about my dash.

i realized that i would not have the money for a while to pay my upholstery guy to stitch and install my cover so i put my filled and fiberglassed spare dash away for now...i took my original one out of my car, sanded the bloody hell out of it, bondoed in all the cracks, lather rinse and repeat 4 times then put texture coat and some brown paint i got at Michael's art supply for like $5. the color wasn't exact but its close enough, only in really bright direct light do you notice the color difference. All in all it cost like $30 to do over the course of 2 or 3 days. Held up pretty well for my trip to San Francisco but the heat in CA made some of the cracks reappear so I might have to do some quick filling and painting soon again.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta throw up the progress pics mang!

Quick Reply: Feeler thread: NA Bumper alternative