Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler thread: NA Bumper alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
lol marc - that reminds me about my dash.

i realized that i would not have the money for a while to pay my upholstery guy to stitch and install my cover so i put my filled and fiberglassed spare dash away for now...i took my original one out of my car, sanded the bloody hell out of it, bondoed in all the cracks, lather rinse and repeat 4 times then put texture coat and some brown paint i got at Michael's art supply for like $5. the color wasn't exact but its close enough, only in really bright direct light do you notice the color difference. All in all it cost like $30 to do over the course of 2 or 3 days. Held up pretty well for my trip to San Francisco but the heat in CA made some of the cracks reappear so I might have to do some quick filling and painting soon again.
I believe in you. You'll finish one day. Hopefully one day when we're all still alive- either that or you'll upgrade to a 951 and you'll forget about it.

make some moneyz!!!!

!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by kandyinmyvan
Gotta throw up the progress pics mang!
the thing is seriously ugly lol. im thinking that after i fill in the low spots and smooth it out i might even paint the mold lol it doesnt look very nice, the fiberglass resin over the yellow foam. you dont want to see it
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh but I do!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll need one too!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kandyinmyvan
Oh but I do!
lol ok ill see what i can do with my garage's lighting..

I'll put a list on the first post to keep track of people who are interested.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

What about using Turbo bumper shocks to have it closer to the body? That might help the contours.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM
luckybastard
Intermediate

v2, i am very interested in one of these front bumpers whenever you get them done. please put me on "the list" also, would it be possible to make one without lights all together? if so i may buy 2... one for the track...hehe. i would like to experiment with a few different light choices for turns/ fogs.

thanks v2!

Eric
Old 09-11-2008, 04:32 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

V2, you had the dash out, you repaired it, you painted it, and you didn't paint it black? Do you like brown?

Luckybastard, where in San Francisco are you? I just moved from SF last month and now I'm in San Mateo.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 AM
luckybastard
Intermediate

im in the north panhandle... fulton and masonic

how do you like the weather in san mateo?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
What about using Turbo bumper shocks to have it closer to the body? That might help the contours.
I don't know anything about the turbo shocks, are they shorter? I've designed the current mold with NA shocks in mind, if the turbo shocks are shorter I might be able to make a piece that would work but I would have to at least temporarily modify my mold. It would take some time though

Originally Posted by luckybastard
v2, i am very interested in one of these front bumpers whenever you get them done. please put me on "the list" also, would it be possible to make one without lights all together? if so i may buy 2... one for the track...hehe. i would like to experiment with a few different light choices for turns/ fogs.

thanks v2!

Eric
I can make a solid piece of fiberglass for you if you want. Instead of mounting light structures I can beef up the glass in the areas where lights might be mounted...when I start making these if you could maybe send me a drawing or something of where you might want to put lights that would help. Or I could just beef up the whole thing lol but that would cost a little more.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
V2, you had the dash out, you repaired it, you painted it, and you didn't paint it black? Do you like brown?
Black dash + brown car = no. lol. besides all the rest of my interior is brown and I didn't really feel like changing everything especially considering everything else is in good shape. I did my dash repair in the few days leading up to my trip to SF lol.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by luckybastard
im in the north panhandle... fulton and masonic

how do you like the weather in san mateo?
Haha, I used to live at Fulton and Central a long time ago, then we went to the mission, then San Mateo. And my dad lives at Turk and Masonic! San Mateo weather is pleasant and clear most of the time. I could not stand the fog in the city!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
luckybastard
Intermediate

ahhh... yes, the beautiful fog! instant air conditioning..sf has that city wide for free, and free wifi! sf rocks!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM
luckybastard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

I can make a solid piece of fiberglass for you if you want. Instead of mounting light structures I can beef up the glass in the areas where lights might be mounted...when I start making these if you could maybe send me a drawing or something of where you might want to put lights that would help. Or I could just beef up the whole thing lol but that would cost a little more.
i will indeed send you some photoshop of an image of where i will place the lights, i would want one with no lights and one with lights....just to be clear.

thanks a million v2!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Send them to me whenever you can and I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

want to know what i did to make my 944 look like the euro style?? i just took out the bumpers LOL it looks fine in the dark but in the day >_<

Quick Reply: Feeler thread: NA Bumper alternative