Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

would an aluminum LM4 block bolt to an LS1/2/6 head despite different bores?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've posted this before, but 944-LT1 took the time to answer some questions I had, and it convinced me this was feasible (for me). Thought I post it again, in case anyone that is interested missed it before.

One thing that did come through was to join up at the hybrid board, which I did- I just don't have an engine yet, so I'm not active over there. It is hoped I will be soon.

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
1. In a previous question, I asked about a bracket and you mentioned the crossmember. Specifically I was referring to a post wherein you said it would accommodate engine upgrades within the Chevy line- is this the piece that would go between the BH and torque tube?
You mean the BH adapter. Well, we found that the C5 corvette BH will mate any chevy V8 from early carb'd to the current LS engines not including any Olds engines that chevy used. 12554980 is the GM part number for the BH you'd want. Then you need to have the engine mounts in and the engine resting on the mounts and supported in the rear so that you can make exact measurements from the end of the BH flange to the TT flange. Should be just about 9/16". With this measurement, you need to get an aluminum disc 9/16" thick machined to adapt the BH to the TT. TT has 4 bolt holes and the BH has something like 5. Then theres one larger hole through the center. This takes the most time but really just measuring things. If you have the TT and the BH mentioned above from GM, the bolt holes are easy to measure....in fact on our board somewhere are all the measurements for the TT. Should cost about 35 bucks to have the adapter machined. The other choice is to buy off the shelf. http://blackforesthybrids.com/store/...products_id=38

Do you have AC? If not, could you?
I do not have AC. I really never needed it I guess. But if I wanted it, yes, its very easy for me to do. Im also 609 certified! As well I hold a universal 608 cert. So its all good there.

You mentioned that the 993TT brakes up front work great w/ no booster- care to elaborate on modifying the pedal ratio? I was thinking of trying to find either 928 S4, 993, 968, or at the very least 951 brakes (for now). What were you able to get your 993TT front brakes for?
By drilling out a new pivot point on the brake pedal, you get a better power ratio for the brakes. You dont have to do this up front but since the booster is gone, it helps. I did this soooo long ago I dont really remeber what I did. Either it was moving the hole in the pedal up 3/8" or down. No big deal.
The 993TT brakes I got were from Lindseyracing.com from Dave for about 2K...this was years ago so Im not sure what they cost now. 944T brakes should be fine for street use unless you are heavy on the foot or up the HP. I went with larger brakes because I didnt wanna say "im not sure if I coulda stopped earlier" hahaha.

Do you know if the LT/LS bellhousing is interchangeable?
The only BH that will work easily is a C5 housing or the one in the link above. Other than that, pretty much any BH will work but will require a little more work to get to fit. Its really not worth all the trouble to get early truck BH's to work. This is a very lengthy subject. But to cut to the chase, C5 or renegadehybrids, or the link above. The absolute easiest is the link above but 300 dollars more than the C5 plus adapter. But then again, the links BH is a guy we all know at porschehybrids.com and will probably cut deals for you easily. He metioned that if you buy a BH, he'll throw in clutch parts, etc. for discounted prices. If I had to do it again....I go with BFR (Cody is his name).
On your write up it appears that a stock Chevy clutch will work- is this the case?
With either BH that you use, you will have to get an internal hydraulic slave/TO bearing. they are cheap as hell and readily available. If you have to, you can just go to AutoZone and say you have a 200x C5 corvette and need a slave and it should cost around 50 bucks or so. The disc is not chevy. Its a 1968 roadrunner (mopar) disc thats lowe end 15 bucks autozone or the skys the limit for high performance discs of the same car. Or you can buy one from the link above. The flywheel is 153 tooth using an LT engine and im not sure about LS...im an LT user. They are 10.5" for the LT atleast.
----------------------------------------

Sorry for all the questions, I just got thinking about it tonight and realized I may have an engine I can use for free, so that would make this much more doable much sooner.
Its no problem, but all these are answered on our board. More than you ever wanted to know about the conversion. Wiring, exhaust choices (better sounding vs price), ancillaries, etc.

One more- does your exhaust run into 1 pipe, or do you run separate pipes all the way back? If so, how does it mount?
My exhaust consists of RH 3/4 length headers 700 bucks (i know...ouch) to a Y-pipe and then 3" to the back single. Easy as I could hope for. Its all personal preference here with exhaust. You could run duals or just single or a large single to the rear to a one in two out muffler or two back to the muffler to a two in one out. 2.5" exhaust is the consensus for backpressure and availablilty of pipe. Youll have to weld in bungs for O2 sensors and then have 2 o2 sensors programmed out of the computer (LS and LT have 4 O2 sensors). UNLESS, you live in emissions areas in which case the exhaust is a PITA. I dont so im not to sure about anything in this case. But all emissions questions are as well very discussed on our board.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The hybrid board is the greatest.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted this before, but 944-LT1 took the time to answer some questions I had, and it convinced me this was feasible (for me). Thought I post it again, in case anyone that is interested missed it before.
Hey look at that! Hahaha. Only thing different now from when I wrote all that is to go with the QT bellhousing and the internal throwout bearing/slave is a question mark for me right now. Or, check this link for part numbers. Its all soooo new (the QT bellhousing) that I cant tell you 100% for sure yet.

Its almost 30 pages long but start here at page 28 then 27 and then 29 and 30.... and read what FFMedic says....hes the only one that has the new bellhousing as of yet and has conversed with Ross (the QT guy) extensively about what goes where and how as well as clutch components and such.... http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/vi...2053&start=405
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 AM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the real reason to go with a chevy engine is that a 450hp 951 engine costs upward of $10k just for the engine, must cheaper HP per dollar i think... any one have a chart or comparison of the cost per every 50hp for the 951 engine vs an ls1 engine?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

id say this is pretty accurate.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
944J
Banned

id love to strip down a 944 and put in an lsx then build it back up with a lightened, customized, and modernized street interior... maybe i'll do it someday now that i drive a jeep and dont drive a 944 daily, lol (not that i drive daily)
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1224&engCat=ls

You can buy a brand new, warrantied crate LS3 crate motor and Gm plug and play controller for a little over $8,000 and have 480 HP, that is reliable and runs on pump gas. Did I also mention a two year warranty????

I think 480HP in such a light car would be more than enough to get you in trouble. Check out the current issue of Hot Rod to see how easy these new crates swap in and the bang for the buck.

If it makes you feel better you could probably get a machine shop to cut you some nice covers that say "Porsche" on them!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

some other turnkey options http://turnkeyenginesupply.com/streetpackages.html
Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
golfduke
Intermediate

450 wheel horsepower is not far away for any LS1. LS2/LS3 you are pretty much there from the factory. I can speak for the LS1: LS6 heads and cam, 5 angle P/P, ported throttle body, and an aftermarket MAF/exhaust will get you damn close to 450 whp.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For these LS swaps and all, if you did this to an NA, do you also change out/upgrade the Torque Tube and the Transmission/Differential?

I would think they wouldn't like the power... for long.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM
golfduke
Intermediate

the NA trans will hold if you are gentle with it. Most people are running their NA trans until they die, swap in a 951/968 LSD trans w/ the NA 5th gear. This seems to be the ideal setup, albeit expensive. there are people around putting 550hp through a cooled, LSD turbo trans and stock torque tube/ driveshaft, all day.

The trans is not the limiting factor with the swap- brakes certainly are however. NA brakes simply don't foot the bill.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The weak ring and pinion doesn't cause a problem?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

btw those 5.3 vortecs are available all day for $500 on ebay.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

yea alex ive been looking into them alot and even got my dad excited lol.

im really curious though whether the heads off an LS1 or LS2 would bolt onto the vortec...

Quick Reply: ls1 engine swap