Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ontario 944's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Red!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ontario 944's?

Hey all you 944's in Ontario! I've noticed that there's quite a few of us here (UPS Thread!) and thought it would be neat to see who's where.

My car lives @ mosport - I'm there about 30 days a summer, and the next time will be ALMS Sunday - who's there for that? (BTW - I have a suite at the track, you're welcome to drop by!)

I help run and teach at the BMW Club school which is sept 5-7th, if you haven't had your 944 on the track this is a great opportunity to learn in a safe environment - several of my 944(951 & 968) friends will be there - about 5-6, consider coming, it would be great to have a whole bunch show up!

Also, if you're curious what a 951 Racecar feels like on the track, but don't want to take yours out, talk to me and we'll arrange for a ride in mine!

Last edited by Red!; 08-22-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added invite
Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

I would love to try my 944 on the track/DE next year as I have no track experience. But will need to tighten up the suspension before I can do so.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b5audia4
I would love to try my 944 on the track/DE next year as I have no track experience. But will need to tighten up the suspension before I can do so.
non sense. i just had my stock 924S on the track for the first time, and i was amazed at how well it handled, especially on street tires.

even though DE is not a race, if you wanna be as "fast" as some guys, sure, upgrade all the suspension you want. but its not neccessary and deffinatley not a reason to put off going to the track.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Red!
Advanced

^^ I agree whole heartedly!

Not only "what he said" but for LEARNING you actually want a WAY softer suspension - its more forgiving, which you'll want/need plus it doesn't cover-up your mistakes, which is HUGE!

I constantly see drivers with too much car drive them badly and have the car make them into a hero - they are the guys who never get fast since they are unaware of their mistakes.

BTW - My car is running Koni Cup suspension with 350-400 lb springs and, missing a LOT of boost I'm still good for 1:36s - I chased down an instructor driving a F360 - he could only get away from me on the back straight, but eventually I passed him, I do the same with Z06s driven by average drivers.

If you wait until your car is perfect for the track you'll never go - and besides, the best investment in driving faster is buying seat time - $4000 worth of experience is WAY better than $4000 worth of engine mods - TRUST ME
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

This might be a DE/track noob question, but does the engine have to be bone dry? As I do have the typical bit of oil pan gasket leak and power steering hose leak.

As far as tightening the suspension, I meant I have to make sure there's no "major" play in the sways, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Not going all out w/ the suspension mods. The car actually already has koni yellows all around from the PO.

Thanks for the feedbacks.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be there next summer!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Hey There,

I was a volunteer at the PCA Club Race on the August long weekend at Mosport - I might have seen you there? I'll be trying to do the first intro DE event next spring in my '86 944.

Located in Oakville, BTW.

Ross.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I an in Ottawa and will be starting DE in the fall. Calabogie and Tremblant mostly.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Red!
Advanced

Originally Posted by b5audia4
This might be a DE/track noob question, but does the engine have to be bone dry? As I do have the typical bit of oil pan gasket leak and power steering hose leak.

As far as tightening the suspension, I meant I have to make sure there's no "major" play in the sways, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Not going all out w/ the suspension mods. The car actually already has koni yellows all around from the PO.
A little oil leaking isn't a problem, just bring oil with you to top up with, you'll check after each session - my car "eats" about a half quart a day, one of my buddies uses 1 quart - its not unusual for our cars to much a bit of oil - but not like a Mazda RX8, where oil is actually a consumable. Power steering hose? I've had issues and replaced the hose and pump - my best advice, replace the hose NOW - you'll risk the pump if you leak too much and since you'll have to spend the $$$ one day, why not today to save yourself some tomorrow?

WRT Suspension, I'd recommend you take your car to someone like G-Tek, J&D Auto, or Bestline to check it out for track purposes - you'll need a tech sheet filled out by a licensed mechanic anyways and these guys know 944 Track Cars REALLY well - half shaft bolts are a BIG thing to look into. The tech will cost about $100 and answer all your questions - a race tech by someone with knowledge is the best way of determining if you will have issues.

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I'll be there next summer!
Awesome - you moving to TO?

Originally Posted by Johnny Johnny
I was a volunteer at the PCA Club Race on the August long weekend at Mosport - I might have seen you there? I'll be trying to do the first intro DE event next spring in my '86 944.

Located in Oakville, BTW. Ross.
I was there - my car is in my Avitar, I'm the red headed guy with the garage in the pits - I'm guessing you must have seen me, but probably not paying attention since we didn't know each other - yet!

Come out this fall, it will give you something to think about all winter! There's BMW (where you don't have to do "skid school" 1st, and then Porsche later in the month (which, if you haven't done "skid school" you can't do)

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I am in Ottawa and will be starting DE in the fall. Calabogie and Tremblant mostly.
Come to Mosport 1st - we get a LOT of people from Ottawa, arguably Mosport and Tremblant are the best tracks in America and among the best tracks in North America (on the list for most pro drivers I know personally)
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Thats a great idea. I've been on Cayuga and Dunnville a couple of times and learned that I need to learn more than I thought. I'm going to ALMS on Sunday. Will you be in PorschePlatz?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Red!
Advanced

I won't be, my daily driver is an NSX (I'm not sure they'll let me park it in the Platz)

I have my own tickets (not Porsche) since I have my own garage at the track - come by and visit me! (I have satellite TV with the race and beer, etc.)

My place is in the garages behind the pits, the stairs to the right of the ones that say "Strudwick Motorsports" that has two blue doors (likely propped open) - come by and visit, we can talk about racing!

Learning you need to learn a lot is a reason why some guys are afraid to go to the track - there's two things every guy thinks he can do REALLY well: Drive, and F#ck - sadly, we're generally wrong on both accounts! The only way to learn to drive fast is seat time on tracks, you CANNOT learn on the road, no matter how great you assure yourself you are - I've never seen a "natural" - its simply too much data to process and react to all at once!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Great, looking forward to it.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Red!
Awesome - you moving to TO?
I am! My partner got a job teaching at York starting fall of 09. I have no idea where we'll live (probably near the campus since the trains don't run there yet and I may get a Ph.d), but I'm looking forward to getting there. Immigration paperwork has already been submitted
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Red!
Advanced

Awesome! Great to have u in TO - I can't wait for you to explain what all the coloured parts in your motor are! (Especially, what's that weird looking thing by the intercooler tube?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

You mean the purple thing?

It's a GReddy blow off valve.

Quick Reply: Ontario 944's?