Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
mynus2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question supercharging

my toy is a 91' s2 it was given to me by a client it is pristine other than the damn dirty sunroof (electrical issues i gathered) due to the way i aqcuired this car i wish to boost the power.ive seen many guys talking about s/c but always seem to be on a 2.5 mine is a 3.0 is this a problem with anything. also i live in texas 105 degree summers i really dont want to lose my a/c however is there a way to lose power steering and still steer the car or is it necessary for driving.i am open to suggestions and have a great shop at my disposal so custom work would not be a problem this would also give me a chance to rebuild the motor .have done so on other vehicles but never foreign any suggestions on item to do while motor is out,pistons,valves,lifters,stroking the engineetc. thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

I suggest finding the shift key and spacebar, then doing a search.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No ps is fine- I ran w/ no pump for a while before switching to an actual manual rack. The manual rack is an improvement but not necessary.

as for SCing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=supercharge

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Go nuts and turbocharge the thing. Then you'll have eyeball peeling acceleration.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Go nuts and turbocharge the thing. Then you'll have eyeball peeling acceleration.
so I guess the REAL question is can you....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

oh no
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7

Originally Posted by alex
so I guess the REAL question is can you....
Yeh sure, Porsche did it, it's called the 951. So there is no reason why anyone with a fraction of the resources of Porsche can't do the same thing in their backyard.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold on guys, there's a TURBO 944?!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

it was a rare factory prototype they only made 1. over a few years about 25000 replicas were made though
Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by mynus2
my toy is a 91' s2 it was given to me by a client it is pristine other than the damn dirty sunroof (electrical issues i gathered) due to the way i aqcuired this car i wish to boost the power.ive seen many guys talking about s/c but always seem to be on a 2.5 mine is a 3.0 is this a problem with anything. also i live in texas 105 degree summers i really dont want to lose my a/c however is there a way to lose power steering and still steer the car or is it necessary for driving.i am open to suggestions and have a great shop at my disposal so custom work would not be a problem this would also give me a chance to rebuild the motor .have done so on other vehicles but never foreign any suggestions on item to do while motor is out,pistons,valves,lifters,stroking the engineetc. thanks
Whats your budget?

And word of advice. Its a high compression motor. Add water injection or intercooling if you want to run more than about 5psi.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I don't understand some of you guys. I get the whole "Can I turbo my n/a?" joke. They're talking about the 2.5, butt ugly n/a though.

He however has a '91 S2. How can you tell S2 people to just by a turbo if they want boost? Have you driven a S2? They are amazingly fun. Most of you won't believe me, but 1st gear in my S2 is loads more fun then my 951. How can you improve upon that? Turbo it; the S2 motor. Not to mention, the reason why you should sell your 2.5 n/a and buy a turbo if you want boost also plays into affect the part of aesthetics and other things. The S2 already has what the turbo does, just a different motor.

Turboing your S2 is probably the cheapest way to have a 3L turbo. I'm all for it, and would if I had 7-10k laying around.

Check out Speed Force Racing (there's a recent thread on it). They're thinking of selling a turbo kit for the S2 and the price is around 7k. Comes with everything, except for low compression pistons.

I feel turboing is a lot more rewarding for the S2. The S/C systems have never amazed me. Way overpriced for your outcome. So definitely look into turboing it instead. I think you'd be a lot happier.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I don't understand some of you guys. I get the whole "Can I turbo my n/a?" joke. They're talking about the 2.5, butt ugly n/a though.

He however has a '91 S2. How can you tell S2 people to just by a turbo if they want boost? Have you driven a S2? They are amazingly fun. Most of you won't believe me, but 1st gear in my S2 is loads more fun then my 951. How can you improve upon that? Turbo it; the S2 motor. Not to mention, the reason why you should sell your 2.5 n/a and buy a turbo if you want boost also plays into affect the part of aesthetics and other things. The S2 already has what the turbo does, just a different motor.

Turboing your S2 is probably the cheapest way to have a 3L turbo. I'm all for it, and would if I had 7-10k laying around.

Check out Speed Force Racing (there's a recent thread on it). They're thinking of selling a turbo kit for the S2 and the price is around 7k. Comes with everything, except for low compression pistons.

I feel turboing is a lot more rewarding for the S2. The S/C systems have never amazed me. Way overpriced for your outcome. So definitely look into turboing it instead. I think you'd be a lot happier.
Agreed to some extent, but why pay 7-10k for a conversion kit and all the other stuff needed to make an S2 turbocharged knowing that it would never fetch the value on the open market as a factory built 951. There are decent running 951's out there for the price of the conversion alone. It just defies logic, but I shall be the first to say that I love some of the illogical things we all do to our p-cars.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Never fetch the value of a factory built 951? Umm...I bought my S2 for 8K, could have bought this kit, wheels and other things all for about 17-18k and had a very nice car that would probably return quite a substantial chunk of that figure.

How can you comment on Turbo S2 sales figures though? How many have you seen for sale? Ever tryed to purchase a nicely built 3L 951? I'm sure the cost would be higher due to more work being done.

And Mikes3.0TurboCab was hitting upper 3XXwhp numbers with his car, on stock internals. To get a 951 into upper 300's, you're definitely investing more more money, on top of the purchase price.

The 3L is a monster even N/a, can't imagine a 3L turbo. Stump pulling power!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Never fetch the value of a factory built 951? Umm...I bought my S2 for 8K, could have bought this kit, wheels and other things all for about 17-18k and had a very nice car that would probably return quite a substantial chunk of that figure.

How can you comment on Turbo S2 sales figures though? How many have you seen for sale? Ever tryed to purchase a nicely built 3L 951? I'm sure the cost would be higher due to more work being done.

And Mikes3.0TurboCab was hitting upper 3XXwhp numbers with his car, on stock internals. To get a 951 into upper 300's, you're definitely investing more more money, on top of the purchase price.

The 3L is a monster even N/a, can't imagine a 3L turbo. Stump pulling power!
Not disagreeing with you here, each to his own. Myself, on the 3L 951/S2 I would be looking at 400+ figures to make it worth my while, mid to upper 3xx seems to be the norm nowadays for a well sorted 2.5L.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

It's a general rule of thumb a modified car does not sell for more then a stock one.

Go look over in the 964 / 993 / 996 etc... forum and see if any of those with a supercharger sells for more then a factory turbo of the same or similar year.

I'm very involved with boosted 928's, we don't have a factory higher performance option like the 951. The boosted units rarely sell for more then a stock 928 of the same or similar year. Your average boosted 928 is 400rwhp or more with stage three cars passing the 500rwhp mark.

Just because you put a $6,000 stereo and $3,000 wheels on a stock 944 does that mean it's worth $9,000 more than a stock one? Usually no unless you find that right buyer, which is very rare.

Quick Reply: supercharging