Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think that the make it all at once, and then pour it into the different sized containers.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no paint expert by any means, but I would assume that they mix automotive paint just like house paint. This is done by adding color to individual gallons, quarts, etc.

They don't mix up a batch of paint in some type of drum, and then pour it into the containers you buy. They add the color to the car of paint you buy.

-Matt
Old 07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
No they won't, it will be mixed in a separate qt can...just as the gallon will be mixed in a gallon can. If you want it to be exactly the same you need to mix it all together after you buy it. This is called "boxing". I can't remember the last time I saw so much misinformation in one thread. The o.p. would serve himself well by using the search function.

No friggen doubt

heres some info just to make sure you have any sort of clue as well as the boxing comment.

If you are doing a 2 stage paint you actually will use more clear than base... You should really only need about 2 qts max of the base if you use a decent brand and a good sealer.

Jesus i am so sick of looking at so much mis-information. Not just in this thread.

Until "Some" people actually do something they might want to stop posting for awhile. "Some" people should know who "they" are since they have been corrected over and over in the last few weeks.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
No friggen doubt

heres some info just to make sure you have any sort of clue as well as the boxing comment.

If you are doing a 2 stage paint you actually will use more clear than base... You should really only need about 2 qts max of the base if you use a decent brand and a good sealer.

Jesus i am so sick of looking at so much mis-information. Not just in this thread.

Until "Some" people actually do something they might want to stop posting for awhile. "Some" people should know who "they" are since they have been corrected over and over in the last few weeks.
Very good point Sid...these cars usually have like 5 or more different layers of paint on them...a good sealer is a MUST. Unless you don't mind a ****ty finish, that is!

Ohh, and don't forget when painting the flexible spoiler you need a flexing-agent to add to the paint for that area. I'd paint the spoiler off the car.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944

How do you think he got that many posts in such a short while? I assume that anything he posts is just to add to his post-count or he just likes to see himself in print.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tifosiman
How do you think he got that many posts in such a short while? I assume that anything he posts is just to add to his post-count or he just likes to see himself in print.
I look at membership dates instead of post counts. Membership has shifted several times here since I joined. The "cycle of knowledge" is interesting and currently on another downturn. Sad thing is that the listers w/ knowledge give up posting because it gets to be a waste of time. I try to only post when I have something legitimate to add, hence the low post count. Usually if I need to know something, I end up searching old threads as the info is already there from years ago.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

You beat me to the whole mixing thing Burma.

When painting my house my wife looked at me like I was a retard when I got out a 5 gallon bucket and mixed the 3 gallons of the same interior color in it. I know that probably wasn't nessesary on interior house paint but I like to make sure.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

I miss Tifo's old stories...no better or more entertaining way to kill a worthless thread. I enjoy teaching people about my business, the problem is that most do it yourselfers would rather listen to somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about. I read in another thread about a lister that didn't want to take his car to a body shop for some patch panels because he didn't want them to disturb the paint on the fender bolt heads and devalue his car. His solution was to glue on patches and bondo over them and paint with rustoleum. Of course his final product was praised based on pics he posted. I may have oversimplified in relating the content of his thread and I have nothing against that person, but wtf? How do you explain the correct way of fixing things to people who aproach things in this manner? This is why bodyshops don't want to deal with 944 owners.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
I miss Tifo's old stories...no better or more entertaining way to kill a worthless thread. I enjoy teaching people about my business, the problem is that most do it yourselfers would rather listen to somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about. I read in another thread about a lister that didn't want to take his car to a body shop for some patch panels because he didn't want them to disturb the paint on the fender bolt heads and devalue his car. His solution was to glue on patches and bondo over them and paint with rustoleum. Of course his final product was praised based on pics he posted. I may have oversimplified in relating the content of his thread and I have nothing against that person, but wtf? How do you explain the correct way of fixing things to people who aproach things in this manner? This is why bodyshops don't want to deal with 944 owners.
Right there with you on that. I had at one time tried to sway a fellow owner from spray bombing his panels but with the help of others he went through with it. I ended it with "well get back to me in few months".

The thing I notice in these forums is that there is no accountability and the "helpers" are no where to be found down the road.

I myself have been known to take a less expensive route many times but only if the results will bear out from actual experience.

I have also noticed a great amount of what I have been doing (another project) being copied and then spoken of as if it was done by the poster. What about when someone needs a tech question answered?? I have seen some valuable mis information being posted that was directly related to what I have written but not reposted accurately. If someone took these postings as gospel they could have some major damage to deal with. Hence my up thread post.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

I did have a question though for Milo. I don't want to be a naysayer but if you are needing this much help on paint I am worried about you doing it yourself and your car looking bad afterwards. I don't know how much paint experiance you have but from this thread it would seem like not much or not enough to do a job you'll be proud to drive.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There has been a lot of mis-information, and post-whoring, on Rennlist in the past year. I go away and come back occasionally hoping things would be different.

Sadly things seem to be worse.

Rennlist is, after all, just a little slice of humanity.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tifosiman
There has been a lot of mis-information, and post-whoring, on Rennlist in the past year. I go away and come back occasionally hoping things would be different.

Sadly things seem to be worse.

Rennlist is, after all, just a little slice of humanity.
I feel the same. Like anything else, it has good points and bad. At some point, I'll move on to another car and maybe another community. Overall though, I have enjoyed my time here and that's why I keep coming back. Its nice to see longtime members like yourself check in from time to time.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Very good point Sid...these cars usually have like 5 or more different layers of paint on them...a good sealer is a MUST. Unless you don't mind a ****ty finish, that is!

Ohh, and don't forget when painting the flexible spoiler you need a flexing-agent to add to the paint for that area. I'd paint the spoiler off the car.
I went to a Auto Paint store and asked about flex agent for the bumper on my wifes Trailblazer. My first thought was it allows the paint to be flexible and less likely to crack.
WRONG Only purpose that flex agent serves is to extend the dry time. So, I'm not sure what the point would be on using it unless you plan on mounting the valance while it's still wet? I'm confused
Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmalo810
I went to a Auto Paint store and asked about flex agent for the bumper on my wifes Trailblazer. My first thought was it allows the paint to be flexible and less likely to crack.
WRONG Only purpose that flex agent serves is to extend the dry time. So, I'm not sure what the point would be on using it unless you plan on mounting the valance while it's still wet? I'm confused
Actually, the info you were given was wrong. Flex agent does indeed make the paint more flexible. As a side effect, dry times may be slowed somewhat. Typically it isn't noticable. The downside to using flex agent is that over time it will lose its effectiveness. When I was in the paint distribution business the manufacturer reps would show off shower curtains and soccer ***** painted using f. a. They would bend to unbelievable angles to show how flexible their products were. One time when I had some techs in for a big demo, I asked them to spray some mini footballs for my sales people to show off. They were hesitant at first and tried to wait until I left the shop to spray them. In the end I found out why. In order to get such a high level of flexibility, they mixed the clear and f.a. at a ratio of 1 to 1 (far more than recommended). It took almost 2 days for them to dry. At this point they finally fessed up and we all had a laugh. Within 2 months the ***** they painted for me started cracking. I would say the main reason to use flex agent is to prevent cracking during re-assembly. Also, try to remember that the counter person at the paint store may or may not have actual experience painting cars. They should know enough to make recommendations but as far as actual tech advice be careful who you trust.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmalo810
WRONG. Read Burma Shave's post. Most of those counter guys don't know their *** from a hole in the ground. They call it "flex-agent" for a reason...just like "fish-eye" remover, etc, etc...

Quick Reply: Porsche Paint!