Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice please - dispute with vendor

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
LeMans71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice please - dispute with vendor

No names will be named - I'm only interested in figuring out a fair resolution. Here's the deal:

I'm doing a complete front-engine overhaul on my '89 S2 (seals, wp, belts and rollers), and ordered a rebuilt water pump from a reputable vendor. When it arrived I pulled the old pump, cleaned and boxed it up to send back for core exchange. At the time, I noticed it was a different casting, but assumed it was a p/n that was interchangeable with the rebuilt unit.

The vendor received my core last week, and now there is a problem. Turns out that the pump that I pulled was a 2.5L/Turbo unit, not a 2.7/3.0. I received a curt phone message and a curt email on Friday, stating that the pumps DO NOT interchange. Well, apparently they do, because that was the pump that was on my engine, and it was working fine. I returned the call, but the guy who left the messages had left for the day. I spoke to an associate, who implied that I must have multiple old pumps laying around, and sent back a junker 2.5L to try to get away with the exchange. He then stated that the core I sent might have no value, or at best half value, but I would have to resolve that with the other gentleman tomorrow (Monday).

I'm bothered by the assertion that I'm being dishonest and trying to trick these folks - I certainly am not. I've owned the car only since May, it's my first 944, and I'm merely replacing a part, correct or incorrect, that was fitted to the car before I owned it. I don't have a stash of parts, and the core I returned is the only one I have. The other issue I have is that this vendor charges one price for a 2.5L/Turbo rebuilt pump, and a price that is about 10% higher for a 2.7L/3.0L unit. Core exchange is the same value for each type. I realize that I have inadvertently created an exchange issue with the rebuilder, but by no means was it intentional. Working out the numbers, assuming the pump I returned is a good, rebuildable core (I believe it is), by my calculation my exchange should be worth about 90% of full value, not 50%, and certainly not 0%.

I'm not trying to screw anyone here, but I'm not interested in getting screwed, either. What is a fair resolution to this?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you ordered the right pump? It has nothing to do with your question, but Its strange that the pumps are different

I say find out which pump is the one you need. Then you can find out where the error happened. You might have ordered the wrong one, or they might have sent the wrong one.

I will say, if that is how thier customer service operates, then I would find a different vendor. There are several sites for Porches that have fantastic customer service.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:50 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Did you install your new pump and other parts?

If they're in the box, return their parts to them and ask for your core. $15 for shipping is worth it for saving the hassle of dealing with the wrong people. There are too many other 944 parts vendors to waste your time with one of them.

I would also drop the big money on a new pump, especially a 16 valve. A bad water pump can cause timing belt failure, and some rebuilt units are known for premature failure. You have higher compression and twice as many valves as an NA.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm.. not sure what you mean by "curt". However, it sounds like the vendor is trying to make sure you put the proper pump on your car.

The 2.7 and 3.0 Motors do indeed use a different pump!

The casting is the same... almost. The black spindle is a different size as is the housing casting around it.

The 2.5 will bolt up, it might even work ok, but it is not the same one Porsche made for your car.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:19 PM
LeMans71
Instructor

To clarify: I ordered and received the correct pump, I believe. It has a raised "2.7L" on the front, and PN 944.106.124.2R. I have already installed it.

I pulled the "wrong" pump off my engine, and returned for the core exchange. I did not know it was the "wrong" pump (apparently a 2.5/Turbo) until they received it and sent me messages to that effect.

I'm sure they want me to use the correct pump, as do I, but they are upset that I sent them the "wrong" pump as my core return. I'm not happy about it either, but like I said it was the pump that was on the car when I bought it - correct or incorrect - and it's the only pump that I have to exchange.

I had no intention of cheating them. I understand there's a problem, but I would like a fair exchange value for my core.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at it from their point of view. The 2.5/Turbo cores are a dime a dozen. Why would they want another one when they thought they were getting a 2.7/3.0 core in exchange?

Talk to them on Monday and work it out.

Did they really call you "dishonest", or are you just upset by the situation and inferred that?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at it this way. Lets just say for simplicity sakes, the Vendor is rebuilding the units themselves and selling them. Again to keep it simple, lets say that they stock 1 2.5L rebuilt unit, and 1 2.7/3.0L unit. You order the 3.0L unit, they send it to you, and you send back a 2.5L core. Now they have 0 rebuildable 3.0L units because they were expecting a 3.0L core. So when the next guy orders a 3.0L unit, they don't have one to sell. They may not need any extra 2.5L cores other than the # they keep in rotation, so IMHO, that core you sent back isn't worth quite as much.

Unfortunately it is the price you pay because of your previous owners work of installing the incorrect pump. You can ask the vendor to return your core you sent back and tell them to keep your core deposit, or you can just let them have the core and accept the loss. As a vendor, core charges to there to ensure you receive the proper part back in exchange so you can keep your inventory rotating smoothly, and I don't see them being at fault here. They sent a 3.0L pump to you, they expected a 3.0L pump back to keep their inventory in check. Maybe you can talk them into giving half your core deposit back for the other pump, or some store credit, etc.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am sure somebody here has a 3.0 core sitting around somewhere...
Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

How much for the core?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
Did you install your new pump and other parts?

If they're in the box, return their parts to them and ask for your core. $15 for shipping is worth it for saving the hassle of dealing with the wrong people. There are too many other 944 parts vendors to waste your time with one of them.

I would also drop the big money on a new pump, especially a 16 valve. A bad water pump can cause timing belt failure, and some rebuilt units are known for premature failure. You have higher compression and twice as many valves as an NA.
A "new" pump isn't always the best. Do a search and you'll find reasons.

As for a rebuilt unit, I've used two and they have worked flawlessly.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans71
...The vendor received my core last week, and now there is a problem. Turns out that the pump that I pulled was a 2.5L/Turbo unit, not a 2.7/3.0. I received a curt phone message and a curt email on Friday...

I'm bothered by the assertion that I'm being dishonest and trying to trick these folks - I certainly am not. ...

... Working out the numbers, assuming the pump I returned is a good, rebuildable core (I believe it is), by my calculation my exchange should be worth about 90% of full value, not 50%, and certainly not 0%.

I'm not trying to screw anyone here, but I'm not interested in getting screwed, either. What is a fair resolution to this?
My take.

You ordered a 2.7L/3.0 waterpump and send back a 2.5L/Turbo one. So did send back the wrong pump. They have the right to reject the core as 2.5L Turbo pumps core's are probably dead common and have much less value. Maybe it is the rotable pool thing, but yes they want a 2.7/3.0 one back. If not I would not expect to get your core $$ back. Of course if they don't give you the $$$ they need to send you back the pump. Maybe they can workout something and that would be the nice thing to do.

Now...
Customer Service part... Seems to be this was not handled well by the vendor. Sure maybe other guys have tried to screw them over like this, but a customer is still always right even when they are wrong. This means benefit of the doubt and they should not be harsh on you. Then again a short to the point reponse might be interpreted as you as curt. Hard to say. Still it should be something that can be worked out. The vendor could be REALLY nice and give you full core back. I would not expect that however. I would like to think that you will be given the option of returned the old pump for no core or limited core value given the wrong pump. You should be treated as guy who made a simple mistake not their worst enemy.

Now good customer serivce will mean that they will work with you nicely to come to a solution that meets their needs while also keeping you a happy customer. Sounds like you are not happy customer and that is bad. Mistakes happen and I have recived bad parts (wrong) from one of my favorite vendors. Now what makes them one of my favorite vendors is how thing where handled AFTER I got the wrong part. We worked it out so I could get the right part and while it did take more time and it was a hassle these things happen even when everyone tries their best.

So I hope this does get worked out. You may not like the answer, but you have a right to be treated fairly.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Shoot, I was keeping my old 3.0L water pump for a long time, and then a while back I tossed it out. Sorry!

The situation is what it is, and I think if you can get partial credit for that 2.5L core then you should be happy. Blame the bonehead PO not the vendor, but yeah curt emails can seem rude.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
LeMans71
Instructor

Resolution: Seems that I probably jumped the gun on this one.

Spoke with the gentleman who left me the messages yesterday, and he explained that I had taken the messages and the conversation with his associate all wrong. The messages that I had taken as curt ("Need you to call me ASAP - we sent you a 2.7/3.0L pump, and you sent us a 2.5L.") were actually supposed to sound urgent. Turns out that the impeller on the 2.7/3.0 pump is larger diameter, and if you try to bolt that pump to the front of a 2.5/Turbo block, you will damage the impeller on the pump and possibly also the block. He was trying to stop me from doing that. The comment from his associate that possibly my core had no value was incorrect. However, because it was the "wrong" core, I was only given half value. I'm a little disappointed, but I understand their position, too, and I'm satisfied with that resolution.

So, now my S2 has the correct pump, I got some value on the core, and the PO owes me the other half! Thanks for all the responses - I appreciate all the points of view.

Scott
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Not quite sure why the PO owes you the other half. Did he know it was the wrong pump? Was it working when he sold it to you? Maybe you are just kidding but a PO can't know everything about his car and usually latent defects are just that; the price of owning one of these cars.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the vendor ain't so bad after all. I'm glad it worked out in a way and that your car has the right pump.

Also glad I just learned a 2.7 pump won't work on a 2.5! I was considering doing that to my 944 as a cooling upgrade.

Quick Reply: Advice please - dispute with vendor