Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Choose this car's fate!
S/C dummy - see description
28.21%
Part it out, its shameful.
20.51%
Tons of potential, fix er' up!
51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do with this 944? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I do with this 944? (pics)

I need some help guys. I did one of those impulse buys, and bought this 86 944 yesterday for 500 bucks. I dont really need it for any particular reason but I do have a few ideas I am considering.

Here are a few details on the car.

- Apparently the motor was "rebuilt" less than 10k miles ago.
- However, the car is supposedly stuck in a gear, which I'll investigate tomorrow.
- The interior is completely demolished.
- The exterior has a Maaco paint job with a bunch of random paint chips everywhere.
- Front valence is destroyed.
- The motor starts right up and runs awesome (in contrast to the rest of the car)

So I have several options I am considering.

Option 1: On my other 86 944 (red car) I am piecing together one of those supercharger kits. I was thinking it would be a great idea to use the white car to build the intricate bracket for the supercharger to test fit it, and that way once I am done I can just swap the bracket over to the red 944. That way I can still drive the red 944 around while the bracket is being put together on the white 944.

Option 2: Do you guys think it would be worth the time / effort to part the car out? How much does a complete motor normally sell for?

Option 3: It would need a lot of work (and money) but due to the fact that the frame and body on this car are in great shape, it could potentially be a good car to fix up and either use as a new daily driver or sell as a nicer car. It would need an entire new interior, as well as sunroof, front valence, windshield, random rubber seals everywhere, hood and hatch shocks, drivers side door handle, and possibly a new transmission.

Any input that you guys have would be super helpful!!!

Here's a couple pics from yesterday when I got it home.

engine looks dirty, but it runs great and everything works.

interior delivers the pleasant appearance of a savage dog attack, and will probably be mostly removed regardless of which option I decide with.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:39 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I voted for SC. To quote Spock: "The need of the many (horsepower) outweighs the need of the few (horsepower)." If that 944 can help add power to another, it will redeem itself.

Then you can part it out. Or put the engine back in and restore the interior and make it a DD. I have a soft spot for restoring 944s and if you can live with a cheapo paint job, then it would be great to romp around in a car with a fresh interior and engine. So I guess either way, whatever you decide it will be fun. Parting it out, you will get your $500 back but it might take a little while to clear out all the stuff and it will be taking up a driveway.

It rains in July?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Track car! This is a perfect candidate since the engine runs good and you need to rip out the interior anyway. This is exactly the type of car I'm looking for to build a dedicated track car.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:35 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

strip interior and get some racing seats for a cool street car or track car
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
Track car! This is a perfect candidate since the engine runs good and you need to rip out the interior anyway. This is exactly the type of car I'm looking for to build a dedicated track car.
+1 Throw some bigger sways on it, put some sticky tires on the Phonies, gut the interior, and drive it like you just stole it!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Hawk36
Racer

Spend as much money as possible on this car....it's what we do...
Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Might want to check the battery box before trying to get through tech
Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Track Car, Since the interior is trashed and will be removed, why not turn it into a DE/Tack Car. Refreash the suspension, but some slicks on the phonies and have a great time.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

I also thought track car when I saw it. Spend the time it would take to part it on making it a track car and drive it or sell it. I think 944cup is big in your area.

I hate to see a car go to parts, although this one's close.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this the one that was on Craigs list near Space Coast? If so, that was a great buy. I tried picking it up, but the guy never returned phone calls or anything.

Definitely turn it into a track car! That was my plan. Glad to see someone here on Rennlist landed it (If it's the same car), definitely pull the interior and get it ready for the track.

-Matt
Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

strip it, SBC it, drag it.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I say Strip the interior to cheap carpet and some race seats. Then supercharge the motor and try to get some decent power out of it. Then have it be a quick street car.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Well thanks for all the comments so far guys. I'd love to turn it into a track car or maybe a nice street car with some racing seats and stuff, but I already have one of those! http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/...c198b524_o.jpg
I wouldnt mind selling it to someone who is looking for a track car project or something. (hint hint, if any of you are interested...)

I am really still leaning on the side of keeping this car aside to build the S/C bracket on to.
The bracket is rather complex, and will look something like this: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e355/bmx944/13006.jpg
So hopefully building it on the white car will save my red car from having so much down time.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
It rains in July?
ha yeah, for the past few weeks it has been raining about 50% of the day.
Originally Posted by Hawk36
Spend as much money as possible on this car....it's what we do...
hahaha, thats true, although I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible with this car. :/
Originally Posted by Matthew951
Is this the one that was on Craigs list near Space Coast? If so, that was a great buy. I tried picking it up, but the guy never returned phone calls or anything.

Definitely turn it into a track car! That was my plan. Glad to see someone here on Rennlist landed it (If it's the same car), definitely pull the interior and get it ready for the track.

-Matt
Yep, this is the car!! You wont believe what a wierd guy this was though.

Im not sure if you remember, but the craigslist add showed a small picture of a white 944 with a turbo front end, and the add stated the car had 40k miles on the chassis, and asking price was $800. So I called the guy, and he confirmed basically everything.

So, my friend with a truck and trailer and I drive an hour and 40 minutes down to Palm Bay, take a look at the car, and it has a completely jacked N/A front end, the odometer reads 750,000 miles for some reason, and he was constantly asking for $1k.

So at that point, I was like, well dude, thanks for showing me the car, now cya later.... At which point he started to drop his price... 700! wait 600! and then finally 500! so I was like ehhh alright. haha.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
joonas
Racer

If you blow your red car engine or transmission you can take them from white car.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Yep, this is the car!! You wont believe what a wierd guy this was though.

Im not sure if you remember, but the craigslist add showed a small picture of a white 944 with a turbo front end, and the add stated the car had 40k miles on the chassis, and asking price was $800. So I called the guy, and he confirmed basically everything.

So, my friend with a truck and trailer and I drive an hour and 40 minutes down to Palm Bay, take a look at the car, and it has a completely jacked N/A front end, the odometer reads 750,000 miles for some reason, and he was constantly asking for $1k.

So at that point, I was like, well dude, thanks for showing me the car, now cya later.... At which point he started to drop his price... 700! wait 600! and then finally 500! so I was like ehhh alright. haha.
Crazy! I'm surprised you got a hold of him. I had to of called about a dozen times from the day it was listed. It would always go to VM, left a couple voicemails, and left it at that. I figured it was too good to be true to be a turbo, AND have only 40k miles. Anyways, if you need a hand sometime wrenching, I am normally around on the weekends unless I am out on a job (I travel a lot for work). My car is 2.5+ hours away, so it's hard for me to head down to my parents to work on it sometimes. Normally costs me around $100+ on gas just for a day or two of working on the car.

Still glad to hear it went to someone here on Rennlist! Good luck with it. Have you dug into the transmission at all? To see what the issue is with that? Hopefully that's a quick fix.

Again, good luck!

-Matt

Quick Reply: What should I do with this 944? (pics)