Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magazines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Bill:
<strong>Playboy (but only when there are car articles)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Especially when they have pictures of topless cars?
Old 11-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by Skip Wolfe:
<strong>Sport Compact Car - Yeah I know, most Porsche guys scoff at this but they have had some terrific technical articles like the Squish Bang Blow series, and some great project cars. Especially relavent if you have a Turbo.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The author, Mike Kojima, is a close friend of mine. I've been trying to get him to get a compilation of these articles re-edited and published in book format. He's thinking of it. I've never known anyone with as many projects as him though.

Also, if he gets around to publishing his book on turbos, buy it. It will become the new definitive book on turbos.

Also, if you keep any of the back issues, in the December 2001 issue you will find my article on the swap of the turbo engine into my G20.

OK, I guess I should add my info.....

Subscribe: currently only SCC, but I don't seem to ever have time to read it anymore (and I find the magazine somewhat less interesting since the change of editors).

Newstand purchase: Race Car Engineering and occasionally Excellence and Road & Track (the latter mostly to read Peter Egan's column and articles).
Old 11-08-2002, 12:15 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, going down to be part of that article was pretty fun. It was my first time on a track. Sweet because I didn't have to pay for anything and my car was being put in a bigtime magazine (and my favorite one to boot), but kinda sucked cause I only got about 4 or 5 laps around the track during the 20 minute session they let us sneak in on the tire testing article guys lunch. I let JG drive it to compare to his black project 944, so it ate up half the session. I still need to get some of the video I took from that day captured for the net.

I brought that issue of the mag with me for interviews last year. The picture day was spring of 2000, article came out in August or so for the "October" issue.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Geo:
<strong>
I've been trying to get him to get a compilation of these articles re-edited and published in book format.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow that would be great. That series was by far the best technical series in a magzine period. Heck I would pay for a pdf electronic reprint. Let the list know if he publishes it in book form.

<strong>
...I find the magazine somewhat less interesting since the change of editors).</strong>

When was the change in editors? I have noticed that the magazine seems to be a bit "dumbed down" lately and the quality of project cars has also gone down. They had some great ones like the the turbo Subaru - great stand alone engine managenemt section on that one.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

<strong>Wow that would be great. That series was by far the best technical series in a magzine period. Heck I would pay for a pdf electronic reprint. Let the list know if he publishes it in book form.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will, for sure. I thought it was quite excellent as well. Mike is not the greatest wordsmith (and he readily admits this), but I think his gift is to take very technical subjects and explain them simply enough that it doesn't read like a text book, yet he's technical enough to always have good info for the technically minded. He never dumbs down. He's not brilliant, but he's great for teaching people who actually want to learn.

Anyway, I'll bug him again to get it compiled into a book. I know he's thinking about it. The problem is, he's directly responsible for at least 4 magazine project cars and 2 race cars. In addition, he's deeply involved in performance product development. As he said to me one time, he never stops working. He comes home from his engineering job and either is writing, working on parts development, or working on cars. He also designs high end bicycles as well as a consultant. I think he sleeps about 4 hours a night. I'm sure it's on his to-do list somewhere.

<strong>When was the change in editors? I have noticed that the magazine seems to be a bit "dumbed down" lately and the quality of project cars has also gone down. They had some great ones like the the turbo Subaru - great stand alone engine managenemt section on that one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Last summer. Larry Saavedera wasn't technically minded, but he loved it anyway. He really turned the magazine into a true enthusiast's magazine and away from the ricer crowd. Scott Oldham, OTOH is pushing for shorter articles and playing more to the ricer crowd. It's a shame really. There are plenty of ricer magazines, and while SCC is still not what I would call a ricer magazine, it's not as in-depth as it used to be. Kind of surprising too since Scott came from European Car.

I know the editors prefer to do the longer and more technical pieces. Besides Mike, the features editor (Jared Holstein) is also a friend of mine and I know the egineering editor (Dave Coleman as well). In fact, Dave was my editor for the article I wrote. I've been looking for some cars to do some feature articles on, but this past year included too many distractions. Next year I hope to get some features in. Anyway, I know all these guys and they are HARD CORE. They hate the ricer stuff. They are all racers as well. Dave Coleman and Josh Jacquout compete in SCCA competitive rallies and both are building some new hardcore rally cars. Jared has a SE-R Cup car (NASA) and is quite the hotshoe. Mike has raced all sorts of things and has held a pro license in SCCA and IMSA. In addition, he was involved with TRD's IMSA GTP engine program. These guys are the real deal. Oh, Mike and Dave are also automotive engineers by education as well.

You know, I know the editors and publishere do read and pay attention to the letters that are sent in. Please write and tell them to go back to the more in-depth technical articles. I miss it for sure.

Quick Reply: magazines?