Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my old 944 popped up on craigslist...BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my old 944 popped up on craigslist...BEWARE!

here it is, it has a LOT wrong with it, such as a bad headgasket, bad ring and pinion, it's an automatic, and has no interior...http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...730826026.html
Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

oh and it's an 84 not an 83 so no manual rack, sorry guys!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is shady as hell.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
here it is, it has a LOT wrong with it, such as a bad headgasket, bad ring and pinion, it's an automatic, and has no interior...http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...730826026.html

Hahah, that's kind of funny when that happens.

The car doesn't seem so bad. If the exterior body is in OK shape, and it doesn't need /EVERYTHING/ then it's really not such a bad deal at $800.

I bought mine that "runs" for $1,200.

I took it home... and... well... 21 months later, and an additional $3,800 dollars poorer. I now have a $3,000 dollar Porsche! hahaha...

That said, I did learn a lot, and... while I could have done better by buying a better car, I still had fun working on it. I now know EVERYTHING about the car in terms of how it was assembled and it's weak and strong points (in terms of servicability that is).

Don't know if that still makes up for it... but I at least have a certain confidence level when driving it around.

I pretty much did everything though. I love to pass around this link because it shocks people how much time I spent on this one car:

http://www.PontiacPerformance.Net

Go to Current Cars and scroll down to the 1984 Porsche 944.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Hahah, that's kind of funny when that happens.

The car doesn't seem so bad. If the exterior body is in OK shape, and it doesn't need /EVERYTHING/ then it's really not such a bad deal at $800.
Agreed. I never understand when people will say to avoid a car at any cost. With a car like a 944, you need to do simple math.

a. What's it worth in fully functional condition?

b. What's it going to cost you to get it into that condition?

Subtract "b" from "a".

> If you get a negative number, then you run.
> If the you get a positive number, then you should be willing to pay the lesser of that or the ask.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Including the initial cost of the car, I got a negative number, and I have no problem with that! It's all about the car man - it's not a rational economic endeavour!

I don't own it to sell it. You can't put a price tag on the ownership and enjoyment of having the car work right and set up how you want it.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I rarely get a positive number, but then again, that depends on what you define as "fully functional" and what one wants to do with a car. When I bought my car, I was looking for a project that I could work on and have a blast driving and restoring. The economics of that decision are very different from someone who just wants to get an old car back on the road and in good shape to sell for someone else to enjoy
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by white924s
I rarely get a positive number, but then again, that depends on what you define as "fully functional" and what one wants to do with a car. When I bought my car, I was looking for a project that I could work on and have a blast driving and restoring. The economics of that decision are very different from someone who just wants to get an old car back on the road and in good shape to sell for someone else to enjoy
No doubt. By "fully functional" I mean that it's up to KBB snuff meaning that it drives, and all the major systems are functioning. So, assume a fully functional 1987 944 n/a is worth $4,200. And the one you're looking at needs suspension repair/replacement, A/C repair and a timing belt job. You're probably looking at a $2,500 tab (if you buy the services). So your ballpark price is $1,700. If YOU don't care about the A/C do you pay more? Heck no.

What we want a car to be (appearance, handling, etc.) is another matter. I think I've almost bought my car a second time with my suspension modifications. And I love every minute I drive it.

There are enough available 944s out there that you do not need to compromise your standards much. In fact, I am frankly shocked at how many 944s are for sale at any given time. You can get a junker to a show car.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
i'm unclear what you're whining about. you sold the car probably with the stuff wrong with it that you mention and it's wasn't mentioned if you told the buyer or how much you sold it for.

if the car was being advertised for $4k, in pristine condition, it would be a different story, if known problems hadn't been fixed.

if it still have issues how can you complain about an $800 selling price, you made your sale.

somebody's garbage is somone else's treasure.

95sl320 dd
Old 06-26-2008, 03:13 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmconner80
Including the initial cost of the car, I got a negative number, and I have no problem with that! It's all about the car man - it's not a rational economic endeavour!

I don't own it to sell it. You can't put a price tag on the ownership and enjoyment of having the car work right and set up how you want it.

My sentiment exactly. Now using that rationale it is a good idea to not have too big a negative number, but I've bought quite a few $25k dollar cars that were worth next to nothing 10 years later.

It's all about the love of the car.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The craigslist seller says it needs a transmission and that it is a project car. He left out the headgasket part but did not say how well it runs but that it does run. I think is is a fair ad. A car can run with a bad headgasket, and its up to the buyer to ask the right questions when he/she hears it run. Its not selling for a crazy price and the seller is not making any outlandish statements about its condition.

Quick Reply: my old 944 popped up on craigslist...BEWARE!