Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

April 2003 Excellence: 944 pricing wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 04:31 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post April 2003 Excellence: 944 pricing wanted

I couldn't find the issue locally and now I believe it's a lost cause.

Can someone tell me the values 1986-1989 Turbos are?

I am trying to plan a purchase/sell of my current car/reserve funding.

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-20-2003, 04:34 PM
lehtola
Instructor

Just sent you an email with the information requested.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:55 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

one of the fastest responses ever thanks

I almost purchased in 1999, many of the people here helped, but I decided to go back to college and finish up a Comp Sci Bachelors...

Now looking at the Excellence list, should have bought then...$1000-2500 in value appreciation since which in cars is great although I am not buying as an investment

What is the big difference in Good and Excellent? Is it worth it to just budget the extra $2-4000 for the Excellent one or is a Good just as 'good' if you hunt around?

I am trying to be realistic, I just graduated recently and without going back into the career I left my income is not going to be so disposable, however, my current car will need a clutch, timing chain, a few suspension bits and pieces...about $3000 in real needs (it's worth about $5-6k in sale, and I own it now)...so $7500 - $9000 wouldn't be unrealistic to get into a new car especially one I wouldn't mind putting money into.

If I wanted to keep this car I have now, I'd want to repaint, rebuild the engine and reupholster it also and that's another $10k easy...

So the 951 adventure begins (again)

I got a couple people asking before what I drive...my website is <a href="http://30moons.com/96SC2mine.php" target="_blank">http://30moons.com/96SC2mine.php</a> I think I did a nice job with what I have had since 1999 and almost 70k miles ago....at a recent car show I was just attending I was asked to pull it into the show and no one believed the mileage (I have only had it since 37k and the interior needed a restoration then).

However, the bottom line is even though I don't even own a Porsche I can always find an answer or help here, even if not asked for...which to me is really cool and unlike the bashing you take on other car lists when you ask a simple question.

Chris
Old 05-20-2003, 05:26 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the real price deal comes down to you finding the best car you can of what you are looking for and see what the PPI shows as wrong with it. Then look at the valuation and decide if what the owner is asking is what you are willing to pay for the car. Usually you can negotiate down a bit, especially if some things show up on the PPI that need fixing (got mine down the cost of rebuilding and installing an A-arm since there was a bad ball joint). Not everything will the owner want to drop the price for.... Look for LOTS of records on that car in the best condition you can find. Although I don't have 16 years worth, I have about 5-6 years worth of receipts on my car showing where the second owner bought it and fixed the details that weren't up to snuff when he bought it, plus all maintenance since then. That in itself kind of told me what the original PO did to the car and how he treated it.

My car is 16 years old and although it has been in a garage most of it's life, it has a LOT of rock chips to show for driving 116k miles. So a repaint is still in my future for the car...but I feel this one is worth it.

You also have to decide what you are willing to live with when you find it. A great many of these cars have cracked dashes, some more than others. To many, especially if they are small, it's worth buying. Some small ones would have been worth it to me. Decide what options you want/can't live without. For me the option I wanted was a turbo..hehe. The other stuff was not as important. The 87 and later often have ABS, but not always. But there are more 86 cars out there than all other years combined.

In the end what you pay is what you think the car you are looking at is worth. If it is a value acceptable to the seller, you'll have a new ride, otherwise you'll still be looking. I think mine was worth it with the modifications done to it and the nice wheels on it, although I've spent a couple of thousand doing some fixes and upgrades so far and have about two thousand more to go. Speaking of which, decide up front if you want one that is stock only or that can have mods when you buy it. Based on your webpage, if you find one with mods that are done well, you'll probably go after it!

I have a 93 Saturn SC2 right now myself as well that is about to go up for sale to help pay for the mods and such I'm doing to mine to get it up to snuff. That's the problem....every little detail I find that's wrong, I want to fix

I have enjoyed the fact that these cars are becoming more valuable again and it's quite nice to tell people that my car has gone up in value over the last couple of years while their new slowmobile is going down in value...haha!!!!

Enjoy the search, good luck in finding one. Try to drive as many as you can to see how they run.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:35 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Lehtola, can you email me (or post) the info??

Thanks,
Adrial
Old 06-09-2003, 03:31 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

turn your email on
Old 06-09-2003, 03:37 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

my email address is in my profile

Thanks!

I would post it but I imagine I'll start getting hammered with spam if i do..
Old 06-09-2003, 03:46 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
I dont put a huge stock on those Excellence prices. Your price could be 10% high or low just based on where you live and what market you're in, which could make you think you got a great deal or a not-so-good of deal when in fact you were right in line.

Throw in many other factors and more often than not Ive found Excellence prices to be a rudimentary guide and nothing more. You must be you rown judge and jury when looking at prospective cars. If you find a Holy Grail car, its probably worth more in time and effort and to you personally than what Excellence can subjectively price in the market.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:48 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

UDPride, this is for insurance. For me anyhew.

Quick Reply: April 2003 Excellence: 944 pricing wanted