Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty bad noise.. wheel bearings or torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 01:43 PM
turbokev
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pretty bad noise.. wheel bearings or torque tube?

Just started yesterday..

While accelerating with more than half throttle I'm getting a pretty bad banging noise that gets faster with car speed (as opposed to engine speed). When I put the clutch in there is no noise at all, then once in 2nd and accelerating again the noise is back.

If I get up to 40mph or so and just drive along at a steady speed, I don't hear any noise.

Under deceleration I get the same noise only not quite so loud.

The car has 63K on it.. the clutch was replaced at 50K with the sachs unit. The differential fluid has been regularly changed and the car is in great shape overall. This noise is pretty concerning..almost to the point where I don't think it's a good idea to drive it.

Any thoughts? or things I should check before giving in and bringing it to the shop?

side note: I did read through all sorts of torque tube posts and the car is silent in nuetral with the clutch out.. it purrs. As I let the clutch out in first and a load comes on I start hearing the noise. If I let out the clutch slowly and pull away very gently there are no bad noises.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:16 PM
944Play
Pro

CV joints?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
CV's would be my first check as well.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:29 PM
MadMax
Pro

I would also have to agree with the CV joint diagnosis. Rear Wheel bearinngs will give you a whir whir whir noise at speed. You are describing a sound that seems to be power application oriented. If it were your rear wheel bearings you would hear the noise even when coasting at speed. However, to check the rwb's all you have to do is jack up the car and push/pull the rear wheels with your hands at 12 & 6 o'clock and then again at 3 & 9 o'clock. If you detect much movement at all then the rwb's have some play. Rwb replacement on your car is relatively simple. CV joints are even easier so I would check them first.

Regards, Max
Old 12-12-2002, 03:37 PM
turbokev
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like replacing the whole axle is a pretty easy job.. I'd most likely get 2 complete axles and do the job right once. I'd hate to get 1 CV joint and then find out in 4 months I need to do another one.

Looks like I can get a complete axle with new CV's and boots for $202

EDIT: Autozone has rebuilt units with new CV's and boots for $80 dollars each

ANOTHER EDIT: Autozones vendor is out of stock

Anyone have a good used passenger side from a 83 to early 85?? (the newer cars are different)

Thanks again~
Old 12-12-2002, 04:52 PM
MadMax
Pro

You can get the complete axle assembly from Paragon for $180 + shipping. I would not buy them from Autozone unless they use Lobro CV joints. I would be willing to bet that they don't. Lobro is OEM Porsche supplier. Just my opinion.

Max
Old 12-12-2002, 09:11 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the same sound! It's the CV joints in the rear axle. It's $788 (with tax and labor) to have them rebuilt at a shop.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:28 PM
CR
Instructor

oh man, i just did the cv's on my car like four days ago. i had the same exact symptoms as you are saying. i bought the entire axle and new cv's unit from paragon, with 3 day shipping, for $201.89.

Install was easy, took me a couple hours, but i could do it faster now that i know what im doing. but you just bolt it in and go. and i have NO MORE NOISE. finally something i do works. just make sure you get the 12 point 8mm socket for the bolts (this thing was a major pain in the *** for me to find and delayed my installation a day).

if you have any questions, just post and ill keep checking this thread.

hope that helped,

CR

Quick Reply: Pretty bad noise.. wheel bearings or torque tube?