Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..so that didn't work...it essentially makes my fogs, daytime running lights but I already have fogs and I have another set I wanna make daytime running lights...

I know it is simple, just have a LIVE red (fused) wire that I need to splice or put somewhere so when the car starts, lights come on. I have the lights individually grounded, and am not using a switch, now, where the heck can i put the power wire?

Anyone?
Fuse box?
Splice?

I know when I get the answer, I'm gonna kick myself.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Envy
I know it is simple, just have a LIVE red (fused) wire that I need to splice or put somewhere so when the car starts, lights come on. I have the lights individually grounded, and am not using a switch, now, where the heck can i put the power wire?

Anyone?
Fuse box?
Splice?

I know when I get the answer, I'm gonna kick myself.
All you need to do is poke around with a tester to find something that comes on with the car. Of course, you have one line going to your radio like that - and I'm thinking terminal 30 of the fog light relay for something closer to where you are looking for. Use it as the trigger voltage for a relay (terminal 85), ground terminal 86, wire 30 to your battery, and 87 to your lights.

If you can't find a wire that will do this for you, no offense, but you probably shouldn't be wiring things in your car. If you don't know how to do that stuff, I'll be happy to give you the details (how to properly tape and loom wires, etc). I just want to make sure you know what you're doing - we don't need another 944 on fire.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Thanks Daryl ! Yep, guess I better not touch it because I really didn't understand your instructions. If you knew what wire I could splice into or something like that....then no problem but the rest...arrrrgh! I can do almost anything on a car, except electrical.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
why not just flip the lightswitch to first position? the corners and markers all light up and foglights will work like that.
In some places, the cops will ticket you for improper use of lights (you aren't supposed to have your parking lights on while driving). It's rare that you'd be ticketed for that, but ya never know.
Originally Posted by DarrylJ
I haven't been here long enough to know why people keep asking why their name is here

I never noticed that before in your sig
Old 06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Daryl ! Yep, guess I better not touch it because I really didn't understand your instructions. If you knew what wire I could splice into or something like that....then no problem but the rest...arrrrgh! I can do almost anything on a car, except electrical.
I could poke around and find the wire for you, but if you just hook lights up to it, you will likely run into problems later on (the kind that require fire extinguishers). It's a relatively easy job - find somebody local who knows how to do it and learn. If someone shows you the ropes, it's easy stuff. You just need to learn how to do it properly - remember that in auto wiring, you have a lot of vibration, moisture, and heat. So connections must be made well, and wires must be properly routed and tied up, or you will end up shorting things out later. Once someone shows you how to do it, and how relays work, it's really pretty simple.

There are actually some pretty good DIY auto electric books out there, and I would be surprised if you couldn't find one at an auto parts store, buy about $30 worth of tools/connectors/wire/loom/relay/zip ties, and be in business.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

I could poke around and find the wire for you, but if you just hook lights up to it, you will likely run into problems later on (the kind that require fire extinguishers). It's a relatively easy job - find somebody local who knows how to do it and learn. If someone shows you the ropes, it's easy stuff. You just need to learn how to do it properly - remember that in auto wiring, you have a lot of vibration, moisture, and heat. So connections must be made well, and wires must be properly routed and tied up, or you will end up shorting things out later. Once someone shows you how to do it, and how relays work, it's really pretty simple.

There are actually some pretty good DIY auto electric books out there, and I would be surprised if you couldn't find one at an auto parts store, buy about $30 worth of tools/connectors/wire/loom/relay/zip ties, and be in business.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hook it up like the aftermarked headlight harnesses are, off of the post on the back of the alternator.

They will only be on when the alternator is spinning. Just make sure and use a fused wire.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

ahhh, never thought of that. Could it be that easy? Have you tried this? ANyone?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

ahhh, never thought of that. Could it be that easy? Have you tried this? ANyone?
That would give you the voltage you need - just make sure you loom/tie down your wire and make good connections. I've just never been one to run things directly off the alternator, but it ought to work.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dal- sorry for the tangent, but you said DLR's are mandatory in Canada now? Does this mean an OLDER car BEFORE DLR's would have to retrofit?

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights