Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cover, what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover, what to get?

Hey guys,

Well, long story short, the 1984 Porsche 944 is going to have to sit outside. I hate to do it, but it's either put my 73 VW Bus outside, or my 87 Pontiac Fiero. I'd put my Fiero out there, but it was my first car and I'm too emotionally attached to it.

But, my interior in my 944 is brand new, and I'd like to keep it in good shape. With that said, what car cover should I get?

I'd like to get one that is of course fitted, but I'd also like to keep it cool (most importantly). I live in South Florida and while it will be covered during the early morning sun by my macadamia nut tree (sorry, I had to brag, I love that tree), it will sit out in the blazing sun for the rest of the day. Another thing which has kind of put a damper in things is that my city requires that all car covers have a "window" by the license plate so that code enforcement can make sure it's not a derelict car.

I've looked on eBay and none of them seem to be just right. What can / should I get?

I'd like to keep it to $150 or less if possible...

Thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a $35 ebay one for the track car. It does not have a window, that's for sure. It is pretty well fitted but not water tight. I would definitely recommend spending a little more for a quality one.

Mine does the job but it is merely to cover the car overnight at the track.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a cover from pepboys for like 40 dollars, not fitted but it is waterproof, so water does not get through.
You have to have the window even if the car is in your driveway???
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 269 Posts

Try Wolf car covers - you get what you ay for... I had a custom fit cover made & the quality was very good for under $200 shipped.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I just bought a new car cover. My black 951 sits outside 24/7 with a cover on. The fitted 3-layer Noah material on the previous cover literally rotted on the car from UV in 6 months. I've had a Cover King cotton/dacron blend for 5 years that was OK but not waterproof and again it fit like a glove and never rotted. The new one is a Cover King 'Stormproof' and is very UV resistant, waterproof, and fits like a glove also. I will never buy anything that's not fitted exactly for the car after having the Noah cover blow off in strong winds. The 'Stormproof' fabric is very light and packs up small making it easier to take on trips if needed. The best price I found was AJ USA

http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/5...ets%20included!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 AM
hobiecat
Rennlist Member

Yep....Cover King "Stormproof" was recommended to me by a
friend and I have to recommend that one too. The material
is very lightweight, fits perfectly, and you can even pick the color you want.

It wasn't cheap, but if you have to keep your car outside
of a garage at any time, seems to me like it is worth the
investment to get a good cover to protect it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Opeth
Pro

Exclamation

The Tequipment ones from Porsche are the worst pieces of **** ever, avoid! I had two disentigrate within a year in central florida.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Airflite40
I bought a cover from pepboys for like 40 dollars, not fitted but it is waterproof, so water does not get through.
You have to have the window even if the car is in your driveway???
Yeah, it's actually a smaller town within Fort Lauderdale and they've tried to make it as up-scale as possible. So they've implemented a lot of rules like that. I mean, I can appreciate them, but they are kind of lame. Like for example, my grandfather died and I inherited his 2002 Crown Victoria LX (this was in 2004). The car has a perfect paint job, and it had only 11 thousand miles on the car at the time in 2004. Because his birthday was coming up soon, the tags expired and the paperwork didn't go through for at least 3-4 months after it expired. The code enforcement started to send me letters stating that my car was derelict and that it was going to be towed. Note, it's parked ON my driveway, which can easily fit 6 cars. And it was pulled all the way up to the driveway.

I called the police station and told them I was unable to do anything until I got the paperwork. I think they gave my dead grandfather a ticket... but it wasn't an issue when I transferred the tag.

When I first got my 2006 Pontiac Solstice, I was getting notes saying that I wasn't allowed to have broken down cars in my driveway! hahah... the car was BRAND NEW!!! These notes were all coming from the people in the home owners association, which is voluntary by the way ($50 a year from each resident). They called code on me, and code couldn't do anything. I mean, I didn't really see the big deal with having a car cover on my new car to protect the paint.

I ended up joining the home owners association, and they haven't bothered me since.

Anyway, yeah, they passed a local law shortly after stating that the car cover had to have a window to expose the license plate so code enforcement can check to see that it's not derelict.

I run after work sometimes if I have time, and there's only ONE house that I know of that has an older car parked in front, it's an old Porsche 944 convertible. It's clearly not running since it doesn't look like it's driven in a while, but the guy backed it up right up to his garage door so you can't actually even LOOK at the license plate (at least I assume that was his goal). it's pretty funny.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Man, I really wanted that Stormcover like you guys were talking about, but no rear window! I ended up getting the one from www.944online.com

It looks pretty decent (it might even be a Wolf car cover). But it does have that window for the license plate.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Car cover, what to get?