Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche's are Porsche's and that's it, and everybody should respect the cars the same... notice in Excellence this month that one of their collectibles to be is a 914, in past years people called them crap now they are collectibles... I have a widespread collection of Porsche's and I love them all...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I always wave @ 944 owners; up here when driving mine, I would wave at other Porsche owners and 85% of a time I get a wave back; or a highbeam; very neat

I was on my way back from beach in ML320 and stopped next to a new Cayman, opened withdow and chatted with the guy (who had his woman there too), asked if it was an S and stuff, very laid back

I also don't understand the whole "newer bigger better more $$$ the better" - I got mine because I loved it the minute I saw it (even though I was there to get the '87 S); the income part plays some play to an extent, because we cant always have the best things in life, however, I didn't get mine because that's all I could afford either

it's simple, I'm learning on/about it, and I just love driving it - snow, rain, sun, whatever; I haven't had this much fun with a car in a while!

and I always get thumbs up and have people waving at me, even though there is NOTHING done to the car except for some "unknown" wheels that look like Cups (I think)

hell, last time I got pulled over at a block post, I had 3 cops walk up and give me the ticket and all said same thing "nice car, make sure you take care of it!" and "what year is that?" or "great color!" (even though it needs either a new paintjob or to be professionaly buffed out)

so it's cool, I haven't had much trouble; I'm also the quiet type of guy, I don't scream what I have unless someone asks; and when the car-****-size-o-meter pops up, I'm the first one to walk away - because it doesn't matter to me! I know why I got my car and that's all that matters
Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Maybe its just me, but I have noticed that if I make a post anywhere but either of the two 944/951 threads, they get very few responses. And, If I do get a response, its usually some smart *** remark from some dude with a cayman, a carrera, or a 911
It's just you... you gotta post interesting thread titles, like, "do NOT google boglyft!" (NSFW) or "it's Bush's fault", "Obama will save us", etc

Seriously, sometimes it's just luck of the draw - who happens to be watching that particular day.

I've seen threads with only one or two replies, looked dead after a couple of days, someone bumps it with a third reply, and before you know it, it's 15 pages long.

I've seen threads I thought, "No one's going to answer this" and a half-dozen people do (I think there was a thread iin OT on antique ovens or something like that, that surprised the heck out of me... who knew there were that many people that collect antique ovens?)

There's a thread out there now in OT with 0 replies, and I think it's about soccer - given how popular the sport is in europe and SA, and the number of european/SA rennlisters, I'm surprised no one's responde.

Last edited by alordofchaos; 06-10-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are 944 owners shunned because our cars are cheap (well, for a P-car), thus we are poor? I know alot of highschool kids have our cars (No offence to all you 16 year olds), but does that mean we're ALL highschool kids? I know I'm happy to give advise to anyone needing help with our cars, when I can.

I guess the jokes true...... A porcupines ****** are on the outside lol

Hah... yeah... I've noticed a lot of arguing between 928 and 944 owners, which I think is very unfortunate because they are both rubbish in the eyes of the other Porsche owners! Personally though, they are two of my favorite models. I recognize that the new fast Porsches are amazing automobiles, but I don't really have any particular interest in one. Although I would like to get an early Carerra 4S one day, in black.

But... they are all Porsches, whether the owners of newer cars want to accept it or not. I've heard a few people make comments on here about comments they've personally received from other people, out of the blue about their 924s/944s/968s. I've really got to wonder though... what kind of guy would go up to a complete stranger to tell them that they didn't like their car? Think about that for a moment. Really... what kind of insecurities would that person have to have to feel the need to go out of his way, out of his comfort zone to tell you that your car sucks? On message boards, people are far more free to do things like that without being pressed into an awkward situation.

But I wouldn't let it bother you. I always seem to get the underdog cars. I like Pontiac Fieros too (little mid engined sports car), and it's the red header step-child of Pontiac. Same with my Volkswagen Bus. VW embraces pretty much all their older cars except the VW Bus (unless it's in markets where it's still selling, like Brazil).

Don't let it bother you though. But like with me, I'm not impressed with newer cars because anyone with the necessary finances can go out and buy one. But it takes an extra bit of personality to buy a car that you know you're going to need to tinker with or fix, or maintain. That goes for pretty much anyone with a car that is older and that they deem worthy of keeping / collecting. Whether it's a 1978 Honda Prelude, or a Commemorative Edition 1977 Lotus Esprit.

Aren't the only Boxster owners women? I mean, its right in the name... BOXster
Personally, I like the Boxster. I plan to get one at some point when I can get a good serviceable one for fairly cheap. The value of those has plummeted. You can get them all day for not much more than the price of an average condition 951. I see them on eBay from time to time for ~$7,000 to 8,000.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

I pretty much respect any car owner who is knowledgable, humble, and can work on their own cars whether they own Porsches, Hondas, or Fords. Car people are car people no matter what car they have.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kandyinmyvan
I pretty much respect any car owner who is knowledgable, humble, and can work on their own cars whether they own Porsches, Hondas, or Fords. Car people are car people no matter what car they have.
I agree.
Except, the people who think they are car people, but really have no clue.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

I've got a few waves from older 911s but some guys in newer 'status symbol' rides just look in another direction. No problem, I just figure they wouldn't know a damn thing about their car anyway. I have had a few guys with newer/"nicer" models strike up pleasant conversations so it does go both ways.

Anyone who does their own work, regardless of model, is going to be less stuck-up and more appreciative of a 924/928/944 owner because there are so many of us that get our hands dirty and know our cars so well.

Anyone can take out a steep lease during a mid-life crisis and mash on a gas pedal.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PXJ800
I've got a few waves from older 911s but some guys in newer 'status symbol' rides just look in another direction. No problem, I just figure they wouldn't know a damn thing about their car anyway. I have had a few guys with newer/"nicer" models strike up pleasant conversations so it does go both ways.

Anyone who does their own work, regardless of model, is going to be less stuck-up and more appreciative of a 924/928/944 owner because there are so many of us that get our hands dirty and know our cars so well.

Anyone can take out a steep lease during a mid-life crisis and mash on a gas pedal.
Although your post is fairly balanced, the stereotypes you state about the owners of modern 911s are just as ridiculous as the stereotypes about 944 owners.

I own one of the 50 club coupes. So mine is an electric blue 997 S with aerokit. Bling. Like a GT3 bling aka pseudo rice.

I also used to race a 944.

Under your way of thinking, would that make me insane (well, the part about racing a 944 might give it away )?

For the record, when I am in my club coupe and flash my headlights or wave at people driving 944s and 928s, I only get acknowledged by about 25% of the people. WTF? Now I don't bother half the time.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Although your post is fairly balanced, the stereotypes you state about the owners of modern 911s are just as ridiculous as the stereotypes about 944 owners.

I own one of the 50 club coupes. So mine is an electric blue 997 S with aerokit. Bling. Like a GT3 bling aka pseudo rice.

I also used to race a 944.

Under your way of thinking, would that make me insane (well, the part about racing a 944 might give it away )?

For the record, when I am in my club coupe and flash my headlights or wave at people driving 944s and 928s, I only get acknowledged by about 25% of the people. WTF? Now I don't bother half the time.
I DEFINITELY don't mean to imply that all newer Porsche owners don't know anything about their cars, or that everyone buys them as a status symbol. Like I said, "some" do. You have to admit, there definitely are those people out there. There are a lot of people who tune their own GTs and are real "car guys" happy to be able to afford a prime specimen after getting grimy for years with their projects, and there are others more worried about compensating for their receding hairline who just happened to buy a Porsche instead of a Lexus, 'Vette, or what have you, thus having no real appreciation for anything but the crest on the hood. The latter is where the problem lies. There are probably a lot of 944 owners that automatically dismiss others as being manicured softies as well, which is equally uncool.

I had some random guy chase me down across the street to talk to me about my car when I was in NYC. He was staring at me really intently while I was parking so I figured he was aiming to hit me up for money (you never know in NYC) but he just wanted to talk Porsche for a few while waiting for a ride. He had 2 911s and wanted to talk about custom paint (my 84 is yellow).

Basically what it comes down to is that some people are just jerks. It has nothing to do with what car you drive.

ps - I am happy to wave at pretty much anyone. I usually do the 2-finger point because the headlights on the 944 come up a little slow to flash an oncoming Porsche most of the time.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TD in DC
75% of the fog lamps (which do flashing duty) on 944/928s are broken?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving home tonight I spotted an absolutely stunning silver modern rear-engined Porsche (not an expert on identifying the newer cars) with rims that easily cost as much as my whole car did. Owner flashed the victory sign when he saw my old poor-man's p-car drive by. Cool! Just because we're broke doesn't mean we don't have style.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
in '95 a 928GTS was around $90000....it cost more than the 911 turbo IIRC.

ive noticed that mostly its the older model owners that will recognize you...yesterday i was in the richest area of SDCo (la jolla) and a guy pulls up next to me in a restored 356 roadster. he waved, floored it and i was surprised that my 944 could actually outrun something...lol

you raced a 356? dude...that's just not even fair. I would have stayed behind him and enjoyed the look of old-school.

btw, A lot of ppl under estimate how fast a 944 is. it can outrun alot.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
beemreatr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Campeck
A lot of ppl under estimate how fast a 944 is. it can outrun alot.
true, I raced my son and walked him for like two blocks. He "claimed" he was tired of pedaling but I think he was just embarrassed about how slow his 12 speed was!!
BTW I am running a intake, chip and short throw shifter
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
you raced a 356? dude...that's just not even fair. I would have stayed behind him and enjoyed the look of old-school.

btw, A lot of ppl under estimate how fast a 944 is. it can outrun alot.
lol i didnt actually intend to race him. the guy pulled up next to me and i was admiring it and he grins and steps on it (you could really hear the little flat-four straining) and i give mine a bit of a push on the gas to keep up with traffic and walked away lol

it was a beautiful car, interesting retro color, all chrome looked good. ill be in that area a lot this next week (every day Lol) so maybe ill see him again and chat
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for bringing up VW Bus

I would seiously KILL for a nice early 70's one!

Quick Reply: Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?