Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I haven't really had any issues... but if anyone every gave me any grief I'd just tell them:

"At least I'm not afraid to take my car apart and put it back together better than it was, over the weekend, for fun, and with a bunch of folks who know how to better than I available at the drop of a post... say, where's your engine?"
Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
beemreatr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 944 because I like it, I also adore 928's of ANY vintage in ANY color, or as my wife would say "as long as its not in fire when we go to buy it, he likes it" but the truth is it depends on how big a fire. I like 911's as well but I really don’t care to own one. I noticed out in the street a few newer 911 owners snub me cause they think my 944 represents my income bracket. Most people stretch to get the newest and most $$$ big buck car they can afford so its understandable that they would feel that way, but being a 944 owner is nice, its a plus its also a Porsche. Imagine how the 914 owners felt in the 90's before they were cool again.
Insecure people are everywhere. A 911 is a good way to treat that, so a lot of people opt for that cure, but there are just as many “car guys (and gals)“ driving 911’s.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time a 911 guy ever directly acknoledged me was when I was going towards the interstate on a rather busy road, and some guy in a green cabrio flies by at like 55 or so.

It puzzled me how much he slowed down before actually turning onto the ramp though, lol...
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I wave at 944's all the time and never get a wave back. You'al are a stuck up bunch for sure
Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I wave at 944's all the time and never get a wave back. You'al are a stuck up bunch for sure
Sorry, I am looking for the next person that doesn't see me and runs into me/runs me off the road.
beemreatr
Instructor

we look down on C2's...i ONLY wave to 92 C4's or better and NO 996's as they are for women and I don't wave to women
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 931GT
Gotta say if any group are the blacksheep of the Porsche community its 924 owners. I guess the main difference though is we, the 924 owners, like that moniker just fine.
That may be true, but the "dissing" that really surprises me is the way that Boxster/Caymen owners are treated. None of the tail-draggers (air or water cooled) have any regard for these cars. If Porsche could correct a mistake they made after WW II, the 911 would be the Cayman!

If you go to a Porsche gathering (HPDE) here's how the fish in the aquarium relate:

Air Cooled: Close knit, and exclusive. Tend to be aggressive and will nip at water coolers. They will tolerate rear-engined water coolers if they USED to own an air cooler. Front engined Porsches are an abomination.

Water Cooled - Tail Draggers: They just HATE the fact that everyone else is in the same PCA and paid less for their cars than they paid for their first scheduled service. They will associate with the Air Coolers if they'll have them. They don't even see front-engined Porsches. "What is a Ford Probe doing at a PCA event?"

Front Engined: Very tight knit, but isolated. Will attempt to buddy up with Air Coolers on the theory that they drive old Porsches too; but will be rejected by Air Coolers repeatedly. Front Engine saps will not give up. By default, they end up intermingling with the C/B crew (see below). It's a symbiotic relationship that helps both breeds.

Cayman/Boxster: At first, they hop around the Water Cooled - Tail Draggers looking for fellowship, like motherless puppies. After repeated shunning by all but the Front Engine crowd (which even accepts the track photographer's Ford Tempo), they settle in among the Front Engine crowd.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beemreatr
we look down on C2's...i ONLY wave to 92 C4's or better and NO 996's as they are for women and I don't wave to women

Are you sure you don't have a miata?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
beemreatr
Instructor

Originally Posted by empiredsn

Are you sure you don't have a miata?
I wish
Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
moorepower
Pro

Originally Posted by jimq
Don't take it personally. I think most of us are checking our gauges, waiting for something else to break. Or we're looking in the mirror, checking to see if any valvetrain parts or pieces of ring and pinion gear are bouncing down the road behind us.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

We were, then they came out with the Cayenne

It's hit or miss. I've had really nice 911's chase after me to wave, or thumbs up, which is always nice. I wave to Front Engine drivers when I can, the others I let initiate, due to experience. If I wave first, they usually get confused and wonder why the Mazda driver is waving at them. :P

I live in a more snobbish area, so alot of Porsche owners don't know what a Front Engine Porsche is (as much as they usually don't know what they own, "It's not a 996, its a 911!")

Those that have experience with Porsche's are great folk here, and even if they don't personally care for our cars, they still give respect.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by moorepower
Don't take it personally. I think most of us are checking our gauges, waiting for something else to break. Or we're looking in the mirror, checking to see if any valvetrain parts or pieces of ring and pinion gear are bouncing down the road behind us.
Hey I started with a 924. I feel your pain
Since I have a water and an air cooled 911, and horrors of all horrors one is a TIP, I am the bastard child of the tail dragger's
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by moorepower
yup..

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Front engined Porsches are an abomination.
they're just upset that we (mid-engine-ers too) can brake 3 ft before the apex at 70 mph and not go spinning ***-backwards into a hedge.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are Porsches everywhere here in Las Vegas, and not a single one of them will wave back at me.

Most of them are the typical "status" owners though, plus its vegas...no one pays any attention to anyone else, unless you're sportin DDs and a g-string.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by m73m95
There are Porsches everywhere here in Las Vegas, and not a single one of them will wave back at me.

Most of them are the typical "status" owners though, plus its vegas...no one pays any attention to anyone else, unless you're sportin DDs and a g-string.
The typical 996/997/Cayman/Boxster, and even 993 owner probably doesn't even know you're driving a Porsche and thinks you're just a wierdo waving at him/her. On the other hand there are plenty of newer model Porsche owners who have grown up with porsches in the family or are old enough to have have admired the 944 series when they were relatively young. Porsche enthusiasts will appreciate your car, don't worry about the rest.

Try driving a Jeep and you'll get tired of trying to wave back in a split second as other Jeep "enthusiasts" drive by. Sometimes they're even driving old, patched together, unlifted Jeeps with stock motors- who do they think they are? (kidding)

Quick Reply: Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?