Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lawl... tom and mark...
I love that you both used the word "things" to describe women.

lolololol
Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jealous bitches
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Originally Posted by m73m95
+1 Cameron. I think the 944 owners are the biggest do-it yourselfers...and I like that.
I would say we are in the running. Those E30 and E36 BMW guys are pretty hard core, too. And there is the crazy guy in England on the Lotus board (search Audi V8 Esprit) that custom fabricated all the parts needed to install an Audi V8 into an Esprit.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a re-post, but I'm sure many of you haven't seen this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Various Types Of Porsche Owner

WORRIER: This is the Porsche owner (usually a new owner) who frets constantly about every detail regarding his baby. Most of us are WORRIERS to some degree when we get our first Porsche. WORRIERS will approach everyone in the Club about which weight and brand of oil they should use in their car. They'll get on the Internet and research endlessly trying to find the best leather conditioner, aromatherapy wax, herbal car wash, tire pressure gauge, etc. They'll change their oil every 500 miles and replace the air in their tires because it might be stale. They'll shortshift their car at 2,500 rpm just to make sure it doesn't get over-revved (even though the previous owner may have regularly banged it up against redline). The WORRIER won't corner his car hard because that would place undue strain on the delicate chassis. These guys are usually cured when they discover that their **** behavior has actually done more damage than good to their car. "Well, sir, your car runs like crap because the valves and combustion chambers are totally carboned up, you should run this thing hard through the gears every once in awhile to clean it out. Or: "I'm sorry sir, but your paint was damaged by leaving the bra on your car while it was raining. "If the WORRIER isn't cured quickly he may evolve into the undesirable "QUEEN".

TECHNO: Everyone knows who the TECHNO is. He's the guy who can quote by memory the entire text of Karl Ludvigsen's massive Porsche -Excellence Was Expected. TECHNOS are useful as Club pets because at many events you don't have Internet access to the Library of Congress. They can answer most of your Porsche related questions right off the top of their head. If you want to have some fun, ask a TECHNO a question that he can't answer. He'll be up for three days straight trying to figure it out so he can preserve his honor. They can drive any kind of Porsche, it doesn't really matter, they see themselves more as experts on Porsche lore rather than active participants in the Porsche driving experience.

STATUS CONSCIOUS: Peter Schutz, former president of Porsche, once said; "For some people, a Porsche is nothing more than a fur coat, it's something you wear, not something you drive.” Peter was describing the STATUS owner. It is extremely unlikely that you will ever meet one of these owners at a Club event. Why? Because they don't know that the Club exists, and they wouldn't join it if they did. These are the people that create the unfavorable Porsche-owner stereotype. They overdress, wear too much gold, park in handicapped zones, have bad traffic manners, and look down their noses at everyone. If you happen to meet one of them in say, a parking lot, and you are not driving your Porsche, the conversation could go something like this: You: "Nice 993, how do you like it?" STATUS owner: "Actually it's not a 93, it's a 97 Porshe Carrera. I like it okay, but you have to shift it a lot and my wife's Lexus rides much better. I might trade it for a Boxer, they ride smoother and you can get an automatic in them. I know a guy at the dealership." This guy knows absolutely nothing about Porsches except what they cost. The Porsche Gods created STATUS owners so the rest of us could get good used cars. When the status effect of the car wears off and they discover that Porsches "ride like sports cars," STATUS owners sell them and move on to Lincoln SUV'S, or stretch Hummers. Meanwhile, we all suffer.

GARAGE QUEEN: These are the guys that will only drive their Porsches if they are going to a concours, and only if they absolutely have to. Even if a concours requires that a car be driven rather than trailered, a QUEEN will try to figure how he can trailer it surreptitiously within a few blocks of the show, then push it to the event (so he doesn't stir up any dirt in the engine compartment). If you are unlucky enough to have a car that he perceives as competition, be forewarned. The QUEEN will carefully scrutinize your car while wearing a facial expression like he is examining excrement. The QUEEN often has very good knowledge of the historical details of his car because that knowledge relates directly to how the car can be scored in a concourse. This knowledge also allows him to lose first place with dignity: "I guess John deserved to win first place, although I am surprised that the judges ignored the fact that he didn't have original tread-pattern Continentals on his car." QUEENS wouldn't think of driving their cars "hard" because they didn't buy them to drive, they bought them to collect trophies. The best thing about QUEENS is that you probably won't see them at any events other than concours or shows unless they also own a "driver" Porsche (see "Cautions and Warnings"). The only exception to all of this drivel is the QUEEN that owns and shows a truly classic Porsche (904 , 959, Speedster, etc). Usually you will find that this type of QUEEN will actually drive his car (even the Porsche factory pulls out the 917's once in awhile so they can flog them on a race track).

GEARHEAD: These are basically hot rodders who have chosen Porsches instead of Hemi-Cudas. The car sitting at the top of the GEARHEAD pyramid is the air-cooled Turbo. Most serious GEARHEAD cars are faster than their track-car counterparts. These cars are so highly modified that they even scare their owners. As a matter of fact, this is the ultimate goal. GEARHEADS won't stop tweaking until their cars have taken on a "You'd better watch your *** with me" attitude. When you get close to a serious GEARHEAD car you can feel the little hairs on your body stand on end, kind of like you were part of a static electricity exhibit at Science City. If you talk to one of these guys, they invariably have a tremendous amount of respect for their cars (the ones that don't are dead). GEARHEADS like to talk about the time their cars jumped up in the air and changed lanes when they grabbed fourth gear at 120 miles per hour. The cars are immaculate, except for little smears on the paint caused by hitting bugs at 150 miles per hour (on the way to the Club breakfast). GEARHEADS usually don't show up for many of the Club events because they are too busy doing things like having their pistons ceramic-coated or installing 962 water-cooled heads and 917 rotor/caliper assemblies on their cars. When they aren't tweaking their cars they relax by looking for roads in neighboring counties or states where they can "run her up to 180" without worrying about cops or other drivers. I like these guys, but I don't really want to ride with them.

WATERBOYS: These are water-cooled Porsche owners. Although this category obviously includes 928's, 924's, Boxsters, and the new 911's, I'm thinking particularly of 944's, and 968's. They are usually a friendly lot, even though they know that the purists are always thinking, "real Porsches aren't water-cooled." WATERBOYS are well tolerated these days because the turbo versions of these cars are so fast and viceless on the track. If you are an air-cooled owner and you persist in tormenting a WATERBOY, he's likely to get fed up and challenge you to a lap or two of the closest road course. Personally, I like WATERBOYS, because they really seem to enjoy their cars and they drive them "as they were intended." Besides, the new water-cooled Porsches are the best Porsches yet in terms of performance, and like it or not, they represent the future of the marquee.

PURIST: This is the guy that would make Dr. Porsche proud. He is what I aspire to be when I grow up. He owns any model of Porsche. First and foremost, the PURIST knows that Porsches are made to be driven. His car is clean and well maintained and may have been mildly modified with upgrades such as tires, wheels, a raspy exhaust system, etc. He's owned this car for awhile and he drives it regularly. His car will inevitably show the wear and tear of being a daily driver. It means that this car will probably never win a concourse, but, over the years, his car will begin to acquire a well-worn patina, similar to the kind that you would find on that jack knife that your grandfather carried around in his pocket for 40 years. Unless you, too, are a PURIST, he is having more fun with his Porsche than you are, no matter what you are doing with yours.

OLD GUARD: This member was probably a founding father of your local region of the Porsche Club. He’s seen it all. He remembers when Porsche drivers not only waved when they passed each other on the road; they actually pulled over to talk. He's owned several types of Porsches over the years and he's driven across the country in at least one of them. He has been to Parade, countless tours, driving events, open houses, and banquets. He is, by definition, mature. Because of his relatively vast experience with the marquee, he is the best member to travel with if you have an iffy car that might require technical expertise during the trip. You just have to be able to put up with his "Porschier than Thou" attitude. He has, at one time or another, been a TECHNO, WATERBOY, and probably more. He is currently a PURIST. He probably drives an air-cooled 911. Porsches are a part of his life and always will be. He tells great stories because he realizes that one of the best things that Porsches do is create fond memories.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, yeah most guys in expensive porsches don't like to aknowledge a cheap 944as being the same brand as their expensive car.

And also (not on the board but porsche drivers in general) many new porsche drivers like cayenne drivers probably have no clue that a 944 is a porsche and probably don't know much about porsches at all.

The other day when I was working on my 944 on my driveway some guy in a 997 turbo slowed down and looked at my car when he drove by

but yeah who cares, I don't really care.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
lol, yeah most guys in expensive porsches don't like to aknowledge a cheap 944as being the same brand as their expensive car.

And also (not on the board but porsche drivers in general) many new porsche drivers like cayenne drivers probably have no clue that a 944 is a porsche and probably don't know much about porsches at all.

The other day when I was working on my 944 on my driveway some guy in a 997 turbo slowed down and looked at my car when he drove by

but yeah who cares, I don't really care.
He slowed down because he could not understand what you were doing. "Why doesn't he just bring it to the dealer?"
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
931GT
Instructor

Gotta say if any group are the blacksheep of the Porsche community its 924 owners. I guess the main difference though is we, the 924 owners, like that moniker just fine.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waterboys?!?! Isn't that the kid the football players (who presumably all drive Porsches these days purchased as a graduation present from Daddy) used to pick on?? Than later in life the Waterboy makes more money and enjoys his life to the fullest while the football players contemplate which male enhancement pill goes best with his Roofie Cocktail??

I love it!!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 931GT
Gotta say if any group are the blacksheep of the Porsche community its 924 owners. I guess the main difference though is we, the 924 owners, like that moniker just fine.
amen brother
Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 931GT
Totally true!

I own both my Porsches outright (along with my other 2 cars). I can take apart and re-assmble my 924 like a Marine with his rifle. I hope to eventually be as knowledgeable with my 951.

My guess is most new Porsche owners are leasing their cars, paying an interest only mortgage, leasing their boats and renting their furniture. No thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

924 guys are shunned a lot I think. Most people think its an Rx-7 rip off. I have a 924s and not many people think its a Porsche. Most people like my dad's 944 though. I have never had a Porsche driver be a real snob or anything to me.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

No Porsche has ever been a "cheap" car.

Sticker price on a new 944 in 1987 could push in to the mid to high $30K range if I'm not mistaken. That amount adjusted to today's dollars is almost double and will buy you about any new Boxster or Cayman S, and almost reaches into an "entry level" 911.

928s were almost obscenely expensive when new, and they "don't get no respect" either.

Discussing the relative merits of models, makes, and years provides endless opportunities for drinking more beer, and to each his own, but don't ever consider our cars cheap.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

in '95 a 928GTS was around $90000....it cost more than the 911 turbo IIRC.

ive noticed that mostly its the older model owners that will recognize you...yesterday i was in the richest area of SDCo (la jolla) and a guy pulls up next to me in a restored 356 roadster. he waved, floored it and i was surprised that my 944 could actually outrun something...lol
Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had one boxster owner give me a nod. that could only be because i let him pass me on the highway.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Fractured
Advanced

I've been lamenting this situation for a few months now. In my area, there are Porsches everywhere and when I'm driving mine, I wave to other drivers. Most of these people are driving new models and nobody waves back or flashes headlights/foglights (not even the 928 owner). Then a couple days later I was on my way home from work and saw a beautiful yellow 914 at a traffic light. I looked over and waved and he waved back.

I grew up around Porsches (my dad owned a couple when I was growing up) and back then Porsche owners either waved to each other or flashed their headlights as they passed. From my experience, it's the owners who have been around the marque for awhile who still do this, and many of them own older cars today. Those who own or lease newer cars might be new to Porsche and not know the protocol (and possibly own/lease these cars for the status—yuck!). The bottom line is that the 914 guys will wave to you.

At any rate, I agree that these cars aren't cheap and I don't care if a 911 driver doesn't consider either of my cars a real Porsche. He can try to explain it to me as I pass him on the track. (For the record, I do like 911s.)

Quick Reply: Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?