Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident -- Bent frame... UPDATE: Got an estimate!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 12:48 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Let me get this straight... you went out and got a $3000 estimate but don't know if the frame actually needs to be straightened yet? No flame towards the guy who gave you the estimate, but that sounds a little funny to me.

Raj is a good guy, and I would ceratinly trust his recommendation, so I am guessing I am just missing a detail or two that keep this from adding up in my head. Did the estimate include an estimate of frame time, or was that just for cosmetic work?

Regards,
Old 06-04-2003, 12:51 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott, the estimate includes time on the frame machine. Only 4 hours though...

How much time did your estimate include for just pulling the frame?
Old 06-04-2003, 01:27 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
12 hours on the rack, but he said he'd rather overcharge on the estimate, rather than under-bid it. He also said if he did it right on the frame, chances are, I wouldn't need any work done on the roof at all, whereas you have some definite creasing on yours that I don't think will go away without work. Given that, they may just do a quick jerk on yours and then go to work on the roof (thats not to say that it wouldn't be straight when done, just a different technique was needed in my particular case). Mine was going to get the full treatment on the frame in hopes to minimize the cosmetic work.

Just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend a bit more time on the jig with yours than he may have thought. For what its worth, I worked in a body shop years ago, so I do know a little bit about the subject (altho I would not call myself an "expert" by any stretch of the imagination).

Regards,
Old 06-04-2003, 01:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

If the frame is indeed bent, I want to see it dead straight when I take the car away from whatever bodyshop does the work...

Basically, I dont want anybody to be able to tell the car was involved in an accident.

But we'll see wensday, I'll talk to the guy some more about the details.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Clem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes - just caught up with this thread.
Adrial & Yarin - glad to hear you guys are ok.
If you need a recommendation for body shop (seems like Raj has set you up already) please let me know (pm/email/etc).
I went through the same thing last year, and couldn't have been happier with the work done.

Jim

BTW - are Pocono 2 acceptances out yet? I haven't heard...
Old 06-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrial, did you have the roll bar in at the time of the crash? I'm real curious to know how much they stiffen the frame. Just from driving around so far, it feels a lot firmer.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:28 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I did have the roll bar in, I'm not sure I had the bolts in tight enough though. They were tight, just not sure if they were tight enough.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Adrial,

You will want to find someone with a computerized measuring system. The one I've used is called a Shark, you attach probes to specific points on the car and then a beam is inserted underneath the car and ultrasound is used to measure the car. I fixed a totalled Audi A4 (the one you saw at Rick's during his open house) and I was able to pull the frame within 1mm of spec. The industry considers anything within 2mm to be within spec.

A frame machine works by driving the car up on a platform, then various clamps are attached to the car, the car is chained to the rack and hydraulic pressure is used to pull on the car. In looking at the pictures, if the roof is bent you are looking at a lot more than 4 hours of frame time.

An expert will almost always be able to tell there has been damaged because it is very difficult to hide creases in the sheet metal/frame/etc. The next DE you are at, look at most any factory GT3 Cup car and you'll see creases inside where it has been hit.

I wouldn't be afraid of driving or owning a car that has been properly fixed. My Audi I bought from an Insurance auction and has a salvage title, but yet it runs & drives perfect, and to an average person you can't tell it was fixed. 40k later.

You also might consider taking the insurance money and parting it out. Since it is an 'S' you might make out better.

Quick Reply: Accident -- Bent frame... UPDATE: Got an estimate!