Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rennbay fuel line won't fit, help (new pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rennbay fuel line won't fit, help (new pics)

ok I have busted my hand and i'm bleeding all over and the rennbay fuel line still won't fit over the barbed part of the fuel return line. l have tried using oil, power steering fluid to lube it but al I could do it get it on halfway which is not enough.

I got it over the fuel pressure reg and it was very hard to do but I could use a lot of force and I can't on the hard line. Also no way that is coming off now. I was going to take it off so I can twist better over the hard line.

the fuel feed line fits easily with a little lube over the hard line but the return line seems way too small and I can't see it fitting......

what do I do now?

Last edited by Yummybud924; 05-31-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: new pics
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Ping Travis!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

crap, I need the car to get to work tomorrow.

hopefull the fuel lines aren't defective. like I said the larger feed line fits easily but the smaller one looks like you need crazy amount of force to even get it on a bit.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yummy,
I feel your pain. Those of us with not very strong hands have this problem all the time. Just last Saturday I couldn't get the small coolant hose on the radiator nipple.

Anyway here's two ideas:
1. Get a friend with strong hands to do it (I've done this more than once).
2. Take the hose off (cut the end if needed) and "enlarge" the end with a cone shaped tool and then quickly put it on. The idea is to get it stretched out a bit before installing. Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. For a small hose you can use a golf tee.

I suppose you could do both 1 and 2!

And, I like to use silicone (spray or silglide) as lube on rubber - but don't ruin the o2 sensor with it.

Jerry
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks lol. I tried getting someone else to do it and it won't budge lol, he gave up. I'm trying various lubrican't and the best I can do is get it about halfway on. Now I'm thinking of leaving it halfway on and clamping it but it looks scarey like that so I prefer to get it all the way on..

I like the idea of stretching it with something. I'll try that.

it's not just strength but I can't really use my full fore on the hard lines as I can bend the fuel hard lines or even break them.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also when the fuel line is over the hard line and clamped (the feed line) I can stil twist it back and forth..... is that okay. I did lube it up before putting it on.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I could be wrong, but isn't one hardline 10mm and the other 8mm?

if so, it could be that you've mixed up the supply and return lines? that would explain why one line is slightly loose and the other is impossible to get on. When the line is clamped, even if there's some kind of lube in there, I don't think that it should move.

i'm not very familiar with this kit, so I don't know if its even possible to mixup the lines, but that might be something to look at, if for no other reason than to do a sanity check before moving forward
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I double clamped the rennbay lines and have not had any problems in two years.

I do vaguely remember the return line being super tight as well.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well no leaks at teh moment and I took it for a test drive and it did not explode lol. I'm parking it outiside for a few weeks though incase it does blow up.

I'll take a picture tomorrow the return line is just on enough to get one clamp on.

Schwank, you cut your hard lines so you don't have that barbed section which would make it easier for you to get it on. I left the barbed ends on mine as recommended and I could only get my return line on like 1.5 cm or so which is not the full amount. I think it should be fine but when I go to get my timing belt retensioned in 3 weeks I'll have the porsche mechanic try and get it in further.

Also I was not sure how tight those fuel injection clamps are suppose to be, I'm not sure if I overtightened them.

is it possible the clamps can snap if I overtightened them? I'll have that checked to by my mechanic.

otherwise no leaks right now, just paranoid that the clamps will break or that return line can pop off because it is not all the way in (as far as it can go).

I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm driving to work tomorrow and have my fire extinquisher in my car (need to buy a mount soon).
Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by white924s
I could be wrong, but isn't one hardline 10mm and the other 8mm?

if so, it could be that you've mixed up the supply and return lines? that would explain why one line is slightly loose and the other is impossible to get on. When the line is clamped, even if there's some kind of lube in there, I don't think that it should move.

i'm not very familiar with this kit, so I don't know if its even possible to mixup the lines, but that might be something to look at, if for no other reason than to do a sanity check before moving forward

lol, not possible to mix them up, one hose is obviously much bigger and would be for the feed line. That one was not loose but did not require massive strength to push all the way in.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
I double clamped the rennbay lines and have not had any problems in two years.

I do vaguely remember the return line being super tight as well.

hmm on my return line which went it all the way there is no space to double camp. I don't think it's necessary to double clamp anyways.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pictures would help...
Old 05-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'll post pictues tomorrow evening when I come home from work.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

pics......

I did call travis. He told me to sand the hard lines so they are completely smooth, and I did and lubed it up and I used my full force and still I got it in maybe 1 more mm than before but that's it. the hose is just too small for that hard line.... I sanded with 1000 grit to make it super smooth and used atf to lube it up.

also I'm worried that I may have clamped them way too tight, I was worried that they would leak so I made it pretty damn tight with my screwdriver. Travis said it's possible to split the lines if you make them crazy tight. hopefull that won't happen. I'm just leaving them as is as they don't leak.

also the pressure line I did not sand the hose went on without crazy force and there were some imprefections on the hose. so it seems like the return line is just too small.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

damn...yeah i see what you're saying - there's not really any way to mix up those two lines, but if it stays on, that's what matters right? If you wanted to replace it with something thats maybe more resistant to the 1-in-a-million-chance that the hose rattles loose or something, you could always replace the barb on the return line with an AN-style fitting. I think that anplumbing.com may even have some hydraulic hose that looks like what you have for the pressure side. just replacing the one line shouldn't be that expensive (~$15 for the line itself, $5 for a hose end, $15 for the compression fitting for the hardline, and you can clamp the other end or get a 951 fpr with a threaded outlet for $75 or so). hope that helps

and on an unrelated note, the red intake looks sharp...I like it

Quick Reply: rennbay fuel line won't fit, help (new pics)