Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rennbay fuel line won't fit, help (new pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:39 AM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried installing the lines, but I would try hitting the line with a heat gun. Warm it up a bit, and I bet it will slip right on.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:51 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, not a bad idea but I really dont' want to take it off again. it's hard to pull the line off and I might have to cut the end off again and I don't want to keep on making it shorter.

I think it should be fine, it went in enough to get a clamp on it and it was pretty damn hard to get it on so with a clamp I don't see it wiggling off. but I could be wrong.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I think I just had to curse a lot at them but I eventually got them. I think one isn't all the way flush, maybe a mm or two shy of it, but no leaks in the last month since I've put them on.

BB.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you sand the hard line before the initial install? I wonder if there's a cut inside the line that's getting caught up on the lip of the hard line. I'd cut off an inch or so off the line, dip the end of the hose in some very hot water, spray the end of the hard line with some Windex (makes a very good lube) and try again. I'd also take the other hose off to get it out of your way. I've also resorted to microwaving rubber hose to soften it. Yes, it works, but don't do it too long and wear gloves when pulling it out of the microwave - it can be very hot!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white924s

and on an unrelated note, the red intake looks sharp...I like it
Intake looks good, but I think the throttle-body is a bit much, especially considering the spring and all of the moving bits are all red.

Maybe the T-body done in black would look better, make it blend in with the rest of the under-hood stuff?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb What I did

I had read on previous posts that you could damage the hard lines while robustly trying to get the blue fuel lines. The supply line was a piece of cake but just looking at the return line I knew it was a problem. I found that the 1/4 inch socket extension in my tool box was just slightly larger in diameter than the barb on the return line. Determine how much of the hose you need to expand. Install the extension on the 1/4 inch ratchet handle and proceed to push the blue return line over the extension, turning the handle as you go makes slipping the hose over the extension easy; leave it over night or longer (Some socket extensions are slightly tapered so you may want to put some tape to hold it in place). Next day, you will find that the blue return line will install easier over the hard line and barb. As well, to help matters a little I used a little KY lubricant.
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, good tip. but the problem now is I took the return line off again and cut it again and now if I take it off again I will have to cut it shorter again and not sure if it will become too short.

is it really a big dela that it didn't go in all the way? as long as the clamp is on I don't really see a difference. I'm more worried that I overtightened my clamps.

but anyways I might try this.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

i think its one of those things where the probability of a problem is fairly small, but the cost of something going wrong is tremendous. There's a fair bit of fuel going through that line and it's right by the header...if that line gave out while the car was at speed, it would be pretty ugly
Old 06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
thanks, good tip. but the problem now is I took the return line off again and cut it again and now if I take it off again I will have to cut it shorter again and not sure if it will become too short.

is it really a big dela that it didn't go in all the way? as long as the clamp is on I don't really see a difference.
Why are you cutting it again just take it off and push the socket extension into the hose over night... it really does make things easier the worst you could do is push is on to where it was before. How far you go is your choice but IMO the barb was put there for a reason.

Quick Reply: rennbay fuel line won't fit, help (new pics)