Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question - DIY o-rings/seals replacement in AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Question - DIY o-rings/seals replacement in AC compressor

While I have the engine out I would like to reseal my AC compressor, install new o-rings, and hoses. Is the compressor reseal something I can do myself without specialty tools? The AC worked so so (low on R-12) 3 years ago when the car was put into storage and now is a good time to access everything.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the oring sizes used for my 85.5 - got them at autozone

2 of 10.6x2mm
2 of 7.5X2mm
2 of 14.0x2mm

Bruce
Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Here are the oring sizes used for my 85.5 - got them at autozone

2 of 10.6x2mm
2 of 7.5X2mm
2 of 14.0x2mm

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Did you replace the shaft seal also? If you did is there a special tool required? The manual shows a special Porsche seal remove/install tool but I'm hoping there might be a more generic tool to do the same thing.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
doktor-t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Thanks Bruce. Did you replace the shaft seal also? If you did is there a special tool required? The manual shows a special Porsche seal remove/install tool but I'm hoping there might be a more generic tool to do the same thing.

This I like to know too. My compressor has a leak at the shaft to and the compressor is black from oil and dirt. The AC works thou and I don´t want it to seize up due to lack of lubrication.

/Tobias
Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you know in two weeks Steve. I just ordered the compressor rebuild kit and will be doing it on my car the week of the 16th. As well as swapping turbos, rebuilding the power steering rack, rebuilding the power steering pump, throwing away that lindsey crossover, etc.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
I'll let you know in two weeks Steve. I just ordered the compressor rebuild kit and will be doing it on my car the week of the 16th. As well as swapping turbos, rebuilding the power steering rack, rebuilding the power steering pump, throwing away that lindsey crossover, etc.
Great, I'll be waiting to hear back on how your AC reseal goes. Don't throw that X-over away. I'll take it and re-weld/align that V-band if you are really serious about just tossing it.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-07-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Did you replace the shaft seal also? If you did is there a special tool required?
Guys... Its been a while, but I think I rented a tool to pull the clutch and then just moved it to a rebuilt compressor (that I got from a friend). I have never done any real compressor work, only change the seals on the hoses/fittings - thats what the o-rings I mentioned were for....Bruce
Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Guys... Its been a while, but I think I rented a tool to pull the clutch and then just moved it to a rebuilt compressor (that I got from a friend). I have never done any real compressor work, only change the seals on the hoses/fittings - thats what the o-rings I mentioned were for....Bruce
Is it really worthwhile to rebuild these? I seldom see people fitting rebuilt compressors and my own experience after having the unit in my S2 rebuilt was shortlived also.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Is it really worthwhile to rebuild these?
Worthwhile? I don't know really - thats one of those rebuilt vs new conversations that never really goes anywhere. I do know its very common here in the USA. And I know the auto repair scene in USA vs Spain is very different..
Bruce
PS... is it true that acetylene is illegal in Espana?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Great, I'll be waiting to hear back on how your AC reseal goes. Don't throw that X-over away. I'll take it and re-weld/align that V-band if you are really serious about just tossing it.
I was somewhat thinking of seeing if lindsey would buy it back from me, but at this point I don't really know what I'm going to do with it.

By the way, I ordered a new output hose for the turbo so I can give you yours back in a week or so.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Hey steve. I was able to do the rebuild on my compressor without any of the porsche specialty tools. You will need to get the puller to get the pulley off the front of the clutch, but the local kragens in west sac had that tool and I was able to take the compressor in and use the tool in store to get the compressor off.

The only other problem I had was that one of the new seals for the shaft that I ordered seemed to be too large in diameter and then too thin in thickness (which then messed up the spacing for the clutch), so when I tried to remove the new seals to insert the old one I killed both the new ones, and hence need to rebuild the compressor again. I'm explaining it horribly but don't feel like typing it all out, so I can explain it in person if you want.

Cliff notes: the only special tool you need is the generic compressor clutch pulley puller available at kragens, otherwise I was able to the entire thing with careful use of punches and sockets, and a set of good snap ring pliers.

Quick Reply: Question - DIY o-rings/seals replacement in AC compressor