Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you like your 944 for a track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Most of us do that and alot more. Somethings are easy like always checking oil level and never letting it drop or by using a high quaility oil. Others take a bit more work like 944 Turbo oil coolers and periodic bearing replacements. Even so it is an issue that can be managed and while never completely solved motor can still last a very very long time.
It's pretty easy to run these engines low on oil. They seem to slurp it when running hard. And it seems like no matter what track I go to, there is some straight where I end up screaming along at redline before entering a turn.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
It's pretty easy to run these engines low on oil. They seem to slurp it when running hard. And it seems like no matter what track I go to, there is some straight where I end up screaming along at redline before entering a turn.

My 944 burned very little on the track. The S2 burns a LOT. I use synthetic to it burns easier but, still, a lot.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some engines will burn oil and other just do not. Even so it is good practice to always check the oil befoe each run session and never let it go below the full mark. Running overfull has its share of problems so the best solution is constantly looking at it. Even so it takes only a minute to check the oil so it is time well spent.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
pinetreeporsche
Advanced

And lastly, neither the Boxster nor the 944 will buy you much respect from the tail-draggers; so no matter what you buy, you'll be hanging out with the same people.[/QUOTE]

-- OK, but check out the autocross results in our region (Potomac). You'll note that a turbo 944 is in the top 4 or 5 of all comers regularly, against a random selection of what shows up on a given day, much of it real expensive. Short of a higher-power Boxter or a Cayman, (or maybe a hopped-up 914, which can compete at under 1600 pounds, the 944 is better than the tail-heavy models in going around turns, at any speed. So get all the power you can out of your 944, get sticky tires, and hone your high-speed corners. Only the newer, very pricey 911-derived or super Boxters will embarass you. Have a ball!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pinetreeporsche
And lastly, neither the Boxster nor the 944 will buy you much respect from the tail-draggers; so no matter what you buy, you'll be hanging out with the same people.

-- OK, but check out the autocross results in our region (Potomac). You'll note that a turbo 944 is in the top 4 or 5 of all comers regularly, against a random selection of what shows up on a given day, much of it real expensive. Short of a higher-power Boxter or a Cayman, (or maybe a hopped-up 914, which can compete at under 1600 pounds, the 944 is better than the tail-heavy models in going around turns, at any speed. So get all the power you can out of your 944, get sticky tires, and hone your high-speed corners. Only the newer, very pricey 911-derived or super Boxters will embarass you. Have a ball!

x2. The 944 gets its respect in the twisties and even then little respect. A sense of internal self worth is required to own one.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VaSteve
A sense of internal self worth is required to own one.
Or in my case, just not caring...............
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

once again i would like to thank all of you for your input. I have no problem going over the car. In myu drag racing days i use to go over the car front to back after each event and put a wrench on every nut and bolt. I would change the oil after every race, some could be 3 rounds some could be 8, and do the tranny after two events. I have no problem wrenching on the car, actually i never understood people who said they did not have the time to look over the car and check things when it was their @ss in the car.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajcjr
once again i would like to thank all of you for your input. I have no problem going over the car. In myu drag racing days i use to go over the car front to back after each event and put a wrench on every nut and bolt. I would change the oil after every race, some could be 3 rounds some could be 8, and do the tranny after two events. I have no problem wrenching on the car, actually i never understood people who said they did not have the time to look over the car and check things when it was their @ss in the car.
Yup, once you start this silly hobby you should know how it works and comes apart.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Added bonus tip here - put a paint stripe on all key nuts/bolts, and you won't have to get the wrenches out.

I find the 924 (same chassis, just maybe a little less oomph) to be excellent for both racing and DE... very balanced, easy to drive, and competitive as a racecar, plus pretty deadly (to the competition) in the rain; very slow, safe, and forgiving when my wife drives it in DE. After all, you can't get going fast enough to hurt anything or anyone until you actually know what you're doing! Again, the joys of a momentum car. We've been racing the same car, going on our 8th season now, and 3rd season of DE...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

or you can email me at reno808@gmail.com
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My S2 burned NO oil on the track during the one and only DE I've done. Doing my second one in June and will be making sure I am running a full sump prior to the track.

I loved my car on the track....just be aware that there will likely be lots of folks faster than you on the straights.....

best

Joe
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J Berk
My S2 burned NO oil on the track during the one and only DE I've done. Doing my second one in June and will be making sure I am running a full sump prior to the track.

I loved my car on the track....just be aware that there will likely be lots of folks faster than you on the straights.....

best

Joe

There is nothing more satisfying than running up on a 996/Boxster/Gt-3 in the twisty parts and they have to give you a pass. I've had guys pit that don't wan their $80K+ car passed by my $5000 special.

Joe, are you running synthetic or Dinosaur oil in your S2?

Quick Reply: how do you like your 944 for a track car