Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you like your 944 for a track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
The 44cup.com cars are built for 944 Cup (more expensive class as it allows many more modifications including). A 944 / 924S Spec car is the budget porsche racer.

It's the HP versus momentum argument. Randy Pobst gave a nice breakdown versus the two in Grassroots Motorsports. He noted that higher powered cars while faster on the track is all about squaring off the corners in order to drag the straight versus momentum cars are where drivers are always looking for 1/10ths of a second anywhere on the track no matter the spot. He noted that the best place for a new driver to learn is on a momentum car as you are going slower overall which means if you crash or go off track you are doing it at a much slower rate of speed, it also usually means it's cheaper to race a momentum car. In the end he says he actually has a lot more fun in the slower car b/c you race the entire track including the slower portions versus the last corner before the long straight and into the corner at the end.

This always leads me to this question. Why can't a high power car be driven like a momentum car? Why wouldn't it be driven that way? Basically, corner entry speed is dictated by the platform (not HP), and from apex on, the high HP car should be able to take advantage.

Is there a different, high HP line? I know a high HP car can run a flawed line and equal/exceed the momentum car; but that just means that HP forgives an imperfect line.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaje
The 44cup.com cars are built for 944 Cup (more expensive class as it allows many more modifications including). A 944 / 924S Spec car is the budget porsche racer.
Cup cars arent as expensive as people make them out to be. Since there are virtually no spec cars on the east coast your only choice is a cup car. For built cars they cost about the same, and performance differences are marginal.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
i heard i could probably get into a 944 for anywhere from 7 to 10k ready to get on the track, how often do you need tires and brakes?
Tires... RA-1 should last about 8 days or more even if you drive it hard. Be little easier and deal with a little drop of in sped and 20 days can be done.

225/50 R15 is good low cost size. 15x7" wheels can be had for $50 each.

Brakes, I run Hawk Blues and figure in 3/4 of a season to a set of pads. Pads are about $125 a pop, but they take 20 mintues to change and last set of rotors ran $81 for two shipped to me. The rotors last 2-3 years.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Can I comment on my 968?

With my grasshopper skill level (done 2 track days), I was passing almost everyone in the beginner group, so the car definitely has the power and chassis to keep up with 'em. It's a blast, it's easy to learn its limits and has few quirks, understeers and oversteers exactly when you'd expect it to, and overall has little of both. The car is easy enough to rotate, yet I've never spun it. Drifting is so easy. And the absolute best part of all: I can fit 4 wheels in the trunk (you better lay a big tarp or blanket in there though... unless you've removed your nice clean carpet already).
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

yes i looked at the cup cars, i like they way they are put together. Plus if i bought a cup car i could progress to the racing series.
What issue of grassroots was that article?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Cup cars arent as expensive as people make them out to be. Since there are virtually no spec cars on the east coast your only choice is a cup car. For built cars they cost about the same, and performance differences are marginal.
A 100% cup car will cost more to run than a 100% 944 spec car.

The tire alone make up a large part of this.

A 100% 944 cup car with not be running Toyos in any size. If want to win the cars are too close and you simply can't be leaving any time on the table.

A 100% 944 spec car is going to be wearing the same long lasting Toyo as is the budget 944 racer would run and run then just as long since they are fast for 25-30 heat cycles. Since tires are the single biggest expense in runing a 944 (after entry fees and transport costs to the track) it makes sense that a class with cheaper long laster tire will cost less to run. Plus with Toyo contingency program I have not paid real money for a set of tires in 18 months. I still have at least 12-18 months of tire waiting to be used up too.

As for 944 spec on the east coast. Not there yet, but we are spreading that way. Even so the build ideals and rule I think create the best fun vs dollar ratio in Porsche racing. see http://944spec.org Running hoosiers on 17in wheels, rear coil overs, and lexan hatches make the cars a bit faster, but that does not make then really any more fun to drive or race.

Theses days I cannot think of a better Porsche to use at the track for those looking for fun while trying to minimize costs.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
A NA and a 951 are two totally different beasts Dan

And I have a 986S
yes- and i passed quite a few boxsterS's w/ my 944 n/a
Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for all the input, it seems the 944 may be the way to go, cheaper to get started, chepaer to repair, not as fast but just as much fun.

Would you rate the 944 as a good beginner car that you can grow with?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
yes- and i passed quite a few boxsterS's w/ my 944 n/a
I passed a few Carrera S's, proving that it's more than the car.

PS: 944 is a good beginner car (slow, balanced, very hard to screw up); and you can grow to a point. I suspect that to remain interested in the car, you'll want to start keeping track of lap times. If you get your kicks by passing other cars, it's really not the best choice; but if you like the idea of shaving fractions of seconds, and finding quicker ways around the track, then a 944 will do it.

PPS: When I got my 944, I teased a Spec Miata buddy by calling the 944 "the straight man's Miata, that comes with PCA membership."
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Yes. It is a very nice beginner car that if you chose to take racing will never get old. I have nearly 8 years driving the same with nearly all of that time the car at the same prep.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After three years with this thing I am just getting good at it. And I know there is still more time on the table.

So far I've had lots of fun running with the Spec Miatas and E30's... and I have less than 10K into the whole thing. Best cheap racing you can get.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I've ridden in Boxters and driven one too, and I think they are a blast to drive. Girls love the open top!

BUT, your helmet wont appreciate that open top as the car crushes your skull to the pavement. Even with a roll cage in your boxster, I wouldnt trust it like a coupe, which has that triangular structure there to protect you in addition to a roll cage. Just look at some flipped 944's. Then look at some flipped boxsters. Assuming the roll cages are equally strong in both types of cars - the boxster still just isnt as safe out there on track. Just my 2c
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

Definitely get a 944 na as your first track car. Once you get everything sorted and install a good suspension and tires with a good alignment, you will have a big smile on your face as this car is so easy to drive fast. Very forgiving and fairly inexpensive to put together.

Best to purchase a car that is already 1/2 way there so you save a lot of money, that is provided that person put good stuff in the car. I picked up a 1983 that didn't look nice but came with about 80% of what I needed to build a spec car and right now with everything as is, I am still under $6K. Here is a picture of her. So far I have attended 4 race weekends and she has been trouble free, except for last month when I was still using a catalytic converter and a chunk broke off and clogged the exhaust which caused a sudden power loss which prevented me from finishing the race.

Last edited by Litespeeds; 01-22-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

thanks for all the input, it seems the 944 may be the way to go, cheaper to get started, chepaer to repair, not as fast but just as much fun.

Yes!!!

In fact if I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on my S2, I would keep driving my regular old 944. It never gets old beating up on GT-3s in the twisty part of the track. I am selling mine and it's ready to go to the track tomorrow. Check out the link in my signature.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 944 track car is a blast to drive.

I started doing DEs in a bone stock 951. After a couple of years I found myself needing (wanting) to do safety and handling mods. The choice was spend money to turn the turbo into a dedicated track car (seats, harness, cage, suspension, etc..) or to spend the same amount of money on a 944NA track car that already had this stuff and was sorted in terms of handling. I had the opportunity to buy a NA that was fully prepped and went for it. It was the correct descision. The car gets around VIR faster than the turbo and feels much more comfortable doing it.

I believe the 944NA is a great platform for learning high performance driving. If you make a mistake, miss an apex, blow a corner, lose momentum you don't have HP there to help make up. Your lap times will show it. The car is more Fred Flintstone than GT3, but I think that helps you learn to be a better more consistant driver. You also learn to do more with less HP.

That said, for value in terms of first cost and ongoing operating cost the 944 is excellent compared to the other P-car track car options. I would also recommend that with respect to first cost, buy a car that has alredy been track prepped. You will be buying a good many of the go fast, stay safe parts for less than $.50 on the dollar. I bought the track car for 1/2 the amount that the PO had spent on maintenance and and upgrades in the previous 24 months.

With the 944 you can by a lot of track fun for the $$$$$.

Quick Reply: how do you like your 944 for a track car