Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear headlight cover conversion kits available?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still a few of us working on it. The main problem with glass is that auto glass (strong enough to stand up to rocks at 80 etc) is going to be insanely expensive and like IceShark and I discussed it is quite an angle. I HAVE the headlights (thanks, Dan!). sh944 is working on some CF buckets, etc. The other problem is with adjusting the lights, once installed they really cant be adjusted (I know Scott is working on it). Seacay, do you have the link I am interested. There are actually a lot of problems to deal with in making a kit. Once we get one together it is likely going to be quite expensive (if the fit and finish it what Scott and I are looking for it might be over 750 dollars). At this point it is all kind of guesswork and since Scott and I live a few hundred miles from each other it might be some time.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I don't see why the lights can't be adjusted. Why set the light brackets up so the adjusters are on the back side instead of inside the clear light cover. I seem to recall the light on my old Taurus were like that(?) May take some work but should be do-able.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Except there are a limited number of lights that can be mounted, most have the adjuster as part of the lamp itself. I have pics somewhere but I am feeling too lazy to look for them.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Bob Ward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SeaCay,

Please post the ebay item number so we can track it down.

FYI if you do a search on "fixed headlight" you will find some other interesting posts on this subject!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, Does somebody have a close-up pic of the plastic cover? I have a family member that works at a glass tempering shop, they know all the custom glass places in the city, and get a discount. Perhaps one could be cast, and then tempered, so it would withstand the rocks, although that would leave the edges as a major weakpoint, perhaps no tempering? Anyways, I had always thought about making a custom plate for the back, and mounting 2 fog lights inside them, or perhaps a set of projection or HID lights? Just some crazy thoughts.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Do the covers require a compound angle, or would a simple bend be sufficent? Is tempered is a must-have? If not, it might be a relatively simple task to cut then put one bend in the glass (would require an appropriate glass, vicor or pyrex probably). I've done similar work using an oxygen/natural gas torch with silica glass and its surprising how shock resistant the stuff is; white hot straight into water is no problem. The rest of the details I have no idea about.

Personally, I think the ideal solution would be to just weld in some sheet metal then mount four 7 inchers on a roof bar.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Zero10
Race Car

heh heh heh... I think that would solve the light problem.
I am working on putting 4 fog lights on my car (euro bumpers, soon), for that extra light, but I would love to put some HID's or Projection lamps in my headlights.

I think tempered glass would present it's own problems, all edges would have to be rouded to prevent it from shattering when you go over a bump or something, and once that is done, it would never look right. I think it would be better off if it were not tempered, but instead about 1/4" thick, should stand up pretty well.

Best of luck to anybody attempting this, let us know if you succeed.
If somebody has some close ups of how the GT racing ones attach, and how they are shaped, that would be great, because I can ask about having them made.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:09 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

how about not going off of the gt racing form, since theres lots of people saying they dont fit right. mine have an extra angle all the way around the edges. like they were just draped over the metal piece. the way i see it, i think they should be a little bigger, so it doesnt leave a big gap inbetween the lens and the body. i bought mine and left them wrapped up, i didnt test fit them or anything. i say, go with a panel that eliminates the headlights,(i think the company might be lindsay) and make a couple of big holes like tvr for the lights. or, use the same fiberglass panel that eliminates the lights, and dont go with the square design of the gtracing lens, make your own lens, it would look more modern, like a ferrari. thats just my opinion, i could be wrong, let me know what you think america.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:12 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

eBay item 2449178081 (Ends Dec-23-03 16:21:41 PST) - Porsche 944, 951, 924, turbo Clear Headlights

Try that...
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Seacay you have email from me VIA ebay.

EDIT: Dont respond to that just PM me here, if you would I wont be home for some time today. Maybe before 1900 hrs if I am lucky.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:22 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Matt, you ahve a PM
Old 12-17-2003, 10:56 AM
doyle
Racer

I had the GT Racing covers and made my own buckets out of aluminum about 5 years ago. I got bucket/adjuster assemblies from the junkyard that would work with any of the larger rectangular size headlights.

I liked the look but did this more out of necessity as I tapped the back of a pickup one rainy day and smashed the headlights back a bit. I never did get the covers to fit but that was partially the fault of the buckets I made. The headlight does sit about 1/2 way down below the tallest part of the front panel, but in all honesty the lighting wasn't any worse than the stock round headlights.

The covers were very expensive. I think the best bet would be for someone to redisign an entire new front panel that incorporates a nice clean headlight design, not like the Strosek one though, it looks way to 80's.

doyle
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Dave
Race Car

Does anyone know if it is posible to a "non-stock" headlight design past the NJ state inspection?

Doyle, just noticed that you're from here, how's getting your setup through the inspection station?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:49 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know exactly about NJ state inspections but these non-stock designs would probably fail if the inspector wanted to be a jerk because no one has certified the application as meeting the federal motor vehicle codes with respect to beam pattern and light distribution. Some of the applications may actually in fact meet code but until certification .... you are out of luck in the strict sense.

This is exactly the reason the North American driving light side of the combo fog/driving light on the Turbo/S2 doesn't work and has a blocking plate in the lens. Neither Bosch or Porsche bothered to certify. And why Porsche dealers won't sell you the Euro version that has a driving light that works and you have to go aftermarket to get the Euro lens.

It is all sort of stupid when you consider some of the really bad lights the manufacturers have put in cars.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
doyle
Racer

Dave,

I no longer have the car, but when I did it flew right through inspection. No questions at all regarding the headlights. The bucket/adjuster assemblies were straight off an old Sentra from the junkyard so technically they were street legal. The guy at the inspection station was about 6'-7" and had to be pushing 320 lbs. Once he saw my non-adjustable racing seat, that was his only concern. He just looked at me and said "I'll be damned if I'm gettin' in that thing.". He just stuck his foot in, pressed on the brake pedal and passed me. It was the easiest inspection I ever had. Maybe I was just lucky that day.

doyle

Quick Reply: Clear headlight cover conversion kits available?