Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so I just learned the coolest damn thing about central locking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 10:25 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by rmconner80
Troubleshooting the gears and electrical stuff for the sunroof... I don't think I can do that.
If I were closer to you I'd help you, I've completely gone thru my system trying to fix a problem that ended up being a faulty relay...it's easier than you think tho!

-Darwin
Old 04-24-2008 | 11:25 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Yeah, replacing the sunroof gears is cake!

if it's not latching, it might be broken gears... can you put your sunroof up at all? if so, is it crooked?

if not that, it's the microswitch at the leading edge of the sunroof.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-03.htm That is Operation, troubleshooting, and repair.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-18.htm This one is component testing

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-04.htm that is sunroof gear replacement.
Old 04-24-2008 | 11:43 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Yeah, replacing the sunroof gears is cake!

if it's not latching, it might be broken gears... can you put your sunroof up at all? if so, is it crooked?

if not that, it's the microswitch at the leading edge of the sunroof.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-03.htm That is Operation, troubleshooting, and repair.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-18.htm This one is component testing

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-04.htm that is sunroof gear replacement.
And I call that "Death by clarks-garage.com"...

-Darwin
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:46 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

After I did the sunroof gears on my 86 951 I never used the automatic feature to remove the roof or let it close all the way by myself. Paranoid, I guess. I'd just tap-tap-tap on the button to open or close, and to remove the roof I'd run it all the way up and then unhook the gears, remove the roof panel, then run the gears back down, tap-tap-tap again. I did not want to trust the limit switches (which seemed to be properly adjusted.) I used the same method on my old 944S2 coupe which always had a working sunroof so it was just habit. My theory was that if a limit switch stuck once, the gears get stripped. Easier to just be a human limit switch and keep the limit switch as a failsafe.

-Joel.
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:09 PM
AR10
Racer

If you adjust the clutch on the roof motor correctly the gears will never strip
no matter what else may fail.
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:49 AM
rickb20
Pro

Default I think central locking has nothing to do with it

Porschephile: Back to the original topic - your sunroof is controlled by input from the microswitches near the front edges. If they sense that the sunroof is in place but that the latches are anywhere below their latched position then the latches jump back into place as if by magic.

There's a slight delay between the time the sensors (microswitches) "notice" the sunroof being in place and the latches moving back to a latched position. The reason for this is so that you'll have time to unlatch the roof and then remove it before it automatically re-latches.

If you're sunroof is out, then the microswitches sense this and the latches stay in the "down" position.

I had an 85.5 without central locking (was it even available then?) and the sunroof exhibited the same behavior you've mentioned. Maybe with the addition of central locking Porsche tied the two functions together - anyone know. I sort of doubt it though.

Still, it's a nice feature.
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:55 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by rickb20
Maybe with the addition of central locking Porsche tied the two functions together - anyone know. I sort of doubt it though.

When I am sitting inside and I don't touch anything the arms will not come back up (I have left my car in my garage unlocked and just threw the sunroof on with out securing it with the arms for about 20 minutes and it did nothing). If I'm sitting in the car and the doors are shut with no key in the ignition and I depress the central locking switch, the arms raise.
Old 04-25-2008 | 02:57 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickb20
Porschephile: Back to the original topic - your sunroof is controlled by input from the microswitches near the front edges. If they sense that the sunroof is in place but that the latches are anywhere below their latched position then the latches jump back into place as if by magic.

There's a slight delay between the time the sensors (microswitches) "notice" the sunroof being in place and the latches moving back to a latched position. The reason for this is so that you'll have time to unlatch the roof and then remove it before it automatically re-latches.

If you're sunroof is out, then the microswitches sense this and the latches stay in the "down" position.

I had an 85.5 without central locking (was it even available then?) and the sunroof exhibited the same behavior you've mentioned. Maybe with the addition of central locking Porsche tied the two functions together - anyone know. I sort of doubt it though.

My 924 without central locking doesn't do that... so it's definitley a central locking thing.
Old 04-25-2008 | 05:02 AM
Zporsche944
Racer

mine locks if I start to move but if I lock my doors it doesn't... (no central locking here ether)
Old 04-25-2008 | 08:25 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by AR10
If you adjust the clutch on the roof motor correctly the gears will never strip
no matter what else may fail.

Is there a guide on how to properly adjust the clutch?

-Rogue
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:32 AM
Darwantae951

Clarks has a guide.

-Darwin
Old 04-25-2008 | 03:56 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default ????

Porschephile said:
My 924 without central locking doesn't do that... so it's definitley a central locking thing.
What kind of logic is that? I just told you that my 85.5 did not have central locking and mine did all the things I described.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but in any case, the latch position is determined by the position of the microswitches and I think, whether the car is in motion possibly. Perhaps central locking was tied in later, but your best bet is to check your microswitches first.
Old 04-25-2008 | 05:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

no, I'm talking about the sunroof latching when you lock the doors. the 924 latches the roof when you start moving.... but not when you lock the doors.
Old 04-25-2008 | 05:39 PM
mtccl
Instructor

My arms will go all the way down when the car is moving. I have to be very careful when closing the roof "on the go" or my arms will retract all the way and the roof will pop open and hover in the wind.

I know its not suppose to do this. I've read Clark's stuff.

Is it the limit switches or one of the relays????
Old 04-25-2008 | 06:27 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

lol heres a good one for ya, what the hell is central locking?

Quick Reply: so I just learned the coolest damn thing about central locking...