Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start, no gauges AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No start, no gauges AT ALL

I am trying to get my damn car to start. Nothing is working at all on my cluster... no fuel or voltage or any readings whatsoever. Thing is the car has juice. It turns over but won't start.

Of course I messed with a ton of electrical crap to install a master cutoff and a push button ignition panel so I am trying to track if that is a coil wiring bug for now. But all the grounds are good, new DME relay, tried a different main DME, AFM has juice. Keep in mind that just about every part is new in this car in the last couple years.

Anyway, the cluster took a small fall from the tunnel to the passenger floor when I was working on things over the winter, and I'm wondering if that is not the cause of no gauges. Can't imagine no voltage at the coil would cause the cluster not to work at all. I have checked all the cluster connectors and such and they are attached firmly and locked in place.

So do I have two problems or one here?

Last edited by schwank; 04-15-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a late car. Check both of the ingition relays. One of the inigiton relays powers up the cluster, and the other is most of the ingition system. The sunroof switch gets it power from the same source. If the sunroof is not working, it is one of the ingition relays. If you have a set of shop manuals, check in the back of the engine section. It will tell you which pins on the dme harness should have power when the switch is on. This will tell you if you have your cutoff switch and push buttons are hooked up correct. If you don't have a set of manuals, let me know, and I will look up and see which pins you should check.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I know why the sunroof doesn't work...

Bummer, E. Here's a random thought - is the sunroof switch anything like the window switch - where it's gotta be there to complete the circuit?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
There is alot of electrical stuff to check. Where to start is everything that you messed with. Also consider speed and reference sensors. If these are bad, disconnected, etc. the car will crank, but not fire.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Yeah... I jostled the speed and ref sensors a bit while installing some things but they look like they are pretty new. Certainly not brittle in any way. They seem fine.

The two things I messed with are the ignition wires and the electrical cutoff. I am trying to start the car with bare minimum interior installed right now. It's going for alignment and back to the cage shop for a couple fixes. There is no climate control or window switches or anything like that. It is a race car. Sunroof is bolted in. There are some 'extra' wires from the ignition switch that are not hooked up. Need to figure those out too I guess. I've triple checked the master cutoff wiring now and everything there seems to work, as does the main ignition panel. There must be some wire I forgot. I used this post at the 44cup forums as a guide: http://44cup.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=2515

I need to get a spark tester at lunch today and I'll be able to better test tonight what is going on. I hate electrical crap and working on it under the dash around a roll cage is even worse. I'm picking up a spare cluster from a local guy later today so that will give me some idea what is going on. I do have the shop manuals so I'll have to check out that section. Trying to find stuff online is a pain... everyone just says check voltage here or there but never HOW. So for me it's a slow learning process. Slow at the wrong time when it needs to be fast.

I'm leaning towards 1) I fubared the cluster when it fell. AND 2) I fubared a wire somewhere.

Crew Chief Wipeout... what are you up to tonite? Whether it runs or not, the car needs to get onto the trailer tonite. I know Harvest and I can't get push it on there alone.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Damnit dude, I have band tonight - concert's next week. This isn't the rehearsal I want to miss. I'd say "what about tomorrow" but your alignment appointment will have already happened.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Just in case... just hung up with Jason and a new pair of reference sensors is on the way via Priority Mail. Also decided to pick up some clutch hydraulic cylinders while I was at it.

Hopefully I get it running before then but... good to have those for backup anyway.

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Hi, I'm Schwank and I'm a dumbass. If you hook up the black ignition wire to the button, and not the black/yellow accessory wire....

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! I'm rollin.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Take a trip around the block?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

No. To the end of the driveway, and up onto the trailer.

Nothing like laying down rubber at 1030pm to get up on the trailer.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

"Oh, it's just that crazy guy with all the Porsches, Nancy."

Quick Reply: No start, no gauges AT ALL