Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh crap got another speeding ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oh crap got another speeding ticket.

you guys may have remembered my post couple months back when I got 2 speeding tickets in a week totallin to about 850 dollars.

I appealed both those tickets and it's been months now and still haven't gotten a court date.

a couple days ago I was coming home from university late at night (12 am), and took the freeway home (about 9 kms of freeway) and being late at night there were barely any cars on the road and no cars on the fast lane. So anyways I was speeding and I did hit 170km/h on my gps at one point (posted speed limit on the freeway here is 90km/h). Most people on the freeway were going about 110- 120 on the slow lane, but i was still obviously speeding.

anyways later I slow down to about 150 when I see traffic slowing down on the right slow lane, and there is still no traffic in front of me in the left lane.

then all of a sudden I see a white cop car on the right lane ( about 500-800 meters ahead of me), so I immediately stomp on my brakes and slow down really fast and when I pass the cop car on the right lane I'm about about 98 -100 km/h according to my GPS which is very accurate.

the cop must have seen me in his mirror from the distance slowing down so he knew I was speeding but I'm positive he didn't get me on radar or anything but just assumed I was speeding because I slowed down.

so he changes lanes comes up behind me and signals me to pull over. I pull over and I ask him if there is a reason for pulling me over, and he doesn't answer me and just says drivers license. He then runs back to his vehicle, and comes back 5 minutes later and throws a ticket in my car and I ask him what's the ticket for and he says you were speeding, and I say no I wasn't I was going 98 according to my gps (you can't get a ticket for going up to 10 over the limit), and he then gets pissed and say you were going a 120 and tells me to go to court if I want and then he just runs to his car and drives off.

is it possible he got me on radar or laser? I can't see him having enough time and he was in the right lane and I was in the left lane, and there were cares all behind him in the right lane. I think he just made up the "120". If he caught me speeding in the distance I was going much faster than 120, and then when drove next to him and passed him I was going much slower than 120.

So yes I was speeding but I'm pretty sure the cop could not have caught me with any instrument and made up a number to give me a ticket. The ticket was the lowest amount you can get for speeding, because he said I was going a 120 which is 30 km/h over the limit.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solution. stop speeding so much.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You were speeding regardless, so man up and pay the fine. These are the kind of cases that make people who were actually not speeding and try to fight it, have a tough time because everyone tries to get away with it. You already admitted you were doing about twice the speed limit.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they've got a point. when i got my one and only speeding ticket, i know the cop said i was going faster than i was. but i didnt argue, cause i was still speeing regardless.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

No sympathy here. Thanks for giving 944 owners a continued bad reputation...

or buy a honda?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys! Where is the love? . . .Where is the compassion? . . . Where is the Valentine 1?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its pretty obvious he was already looking at you before you saw him because he was looking for someone like you. When you were going 150 km/h (93 mph) in a 90 km/h (55.8 mph), you stick out like a sore thumb. Even someone braindead would know you were speeding. Try sitting on the side of the freeway for about 5 minutes and watch traffic go by and I am sure you can easily figure out who is speeding by as little as 10 km/h let alone 60.

With your previous tickets, I am sure you will go down the same road I did 20 years ago. You will lose your license (and I am willing to bet you will in the next 2 yrs) like I did. On top of that, you probably will be involved in a few accidents (if you have not already rear ended somoene already). Then you will be forced to drive without a license because you won't be able to find someone to drive you around every day for a month or more. I was lucky I didn't get caught as I would have gone to jail but I am not sure whether you will be as lucky as I. If you get caught driving without a license like my roommate did back then, you will lose it for a longer period of time like 6 months (this is how his 14 years driving without a license and 2 jailings started - he kept getting caught driving with no license). I got off lucky and got my license back to find my insurance was in the "assigned risk" group to see my insurance triple as a new college grad.

If this sounds appealing to you, keep speeding and you WILL find out if you stay alive long enough. My neck is a constant reminder of my wreck in 1990 (year of my license suspension) even though it was not my fault since she turned left in front of me. However, if I were going 5 mph below the speed limit instead of going 5 above, I may be suffering less than I will for the rest of my life.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I am not looking for sympathy. I am buying a valentine one soon.

the point here was that I'm pretty sure the cop did not catch me on radar or laser and he just assumed I was speeding (which I was) and he had no evidence and just made up a number (120km/h) so he could give me a ticket. if he had caught me on laser or radar I was going much faster before I slowed down and got to him.

also he was on the right lane and I was on the left lane I dont' think He can get my speed like that. He also didn't show me any proof such as radar and just drove off.

well this is the first ticket I got in 2008, those previous tickets were in 2007 and i haven't gotten a court date yet. if I lose my license I'm screwed as it takes 3 hours for me to commute to university with the buses here lol and an hour or so drive.

and about the cop spotting me, he was in the right lane with 5-6 cars drivind him and I was coming up on the left lane and it was dark at night, and I quickly slowed down to 98 km/h when I was stilll about 500 meters away from him.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

Buying a valentine one is not the answer. It's like buying a condom after your girlfriend gets pregnant.

If you can't do the time (or money), don't do the crime.

Slow down. Grow Up.

Last edited by 931guru; 04-13-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

One word:

LAWYER

As in go get one. It will cost but it is the solution.

IPSC
Old 04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Chwatson
Racer

yeah, my aunt just called in a favor from a friend from law school.

the TRAFFIC cop tried to cover up his mistakes via intimidation after he realized i was remotely competent at elementary mathematics. i was still speeding, though i rapidly tire of officers who are on an unending power trip.

PS: a CONTINUANCE is your best friend, though i don't really know the legal system in Canada. i thought everyone was too nice to commit crimes....
Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The radar and laser detecors are pretty advanced now, with same direction capabilities, and all kinds of other goodies. Don't fight it you'll have a tough time...pay it and slow before you wreck a 944 that could be in more deserving hands.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two words:

SLOW DOWN

These cars are fun. I am sure that once insurance catches up with you, you won't be able to have fun anymore. I also dont understand why you keep posting about your speeding tickets. Not exactly the best way to earn the respect of your peers. Don't get me wrong I was driving dumb 10 years ago and got busted on many occasions. There is a time to realize that you have a fast car, but you don't have to drive it all the time like it is a fast car.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you're not smoking enough pot. Get good and baked before you drive, that should slow you down a little.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm guessing what probably happened is that he probably knew that the traffic was flowing at 120 and that you were going significantly faster than that. Since he probably didn't get to tag you at the speed you were really going he just went with 120 since it was obvious that you were going faster than that.

That's my guess anyway, assuming that he didn't actually get you at 120.

Anyway, not to pile it on, but I agree with the others. Slow down! These cars suck when all you can do is stare at them in your driveway.

BB.

Quick Reply: oh crap got another speeding ticket.