Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh crap got another speeding ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:08 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Why would I need to? I don't speed. I just stating the difference between Canadian Law enforcement and US Law enforcement. Canadian cops won't chase after a suspect who initiates a high speed pursuit especially in the city, if there is ANY traffic, runs a red light and is doing a crime that is not considered danger to the public such as car theft, burglary, ect. If the suspect is wanted in a violent crime such as murder, then they may consider continuing.
Old 04-15-2008 | 04:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol, about the talk of running from the cops. Unless you are in a stolen car or have no plates on, the cops wouldn't have to worry about catching you, he'll just take your license plate and then show up at your house with a warrant for your arrest lol, fleeing from a police officer is a serious offence. Then instead of getting fines you'll go to jail.
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:05 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
lol, about the talk of running from the cops. Unless you are in a stolen car or have no plates on, the cops wouldn't have to worry about catching you, he'll just take your license plate and then show up at your house with a warrant for your arrest lol, fleeing from a police officer is a serious offence. Then instead of getting fines you'll go to jail.
I know people that have experience in these matters. Problem with this thread is that you are asking people that have no idea about local laws. Best follow their limited advice and slow down or take the bus.
Old 04-15-2008 | 07:17 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

and that should end the thread
Old 04-15-2008 | 08:46 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Jeeze Yummy, you should be amputated at the waist! For God's sake think of the children!

Just kidding.

I love these threads where every "angel" behind the wheel preaches fire and brimstone.

We bought these cars because they are fun to drive, which is what they were designed to be. We have fun cars and jonny law has to make a paycheck, it's called pay to play. And believe me, few cars make a cop drop his donut faster than a Guards Red 951 playing in traffic!
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:06 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol "drop his donuts"

yes that is true, a sports car especially any porsche will catch the cops attention pretty fast. few weeks ago a cop, pulled me over without any reason at all, he just checked my DV and let me go. It was funny because I was going exactly the speed limit and though in my head " this guy is going to pulll me over anyways" and he did.

pretty funny. I was going to tell him that pulling me over was illegal because he had no reason to pull me over but i didn't want to **** of a cop lol. I'm a criminology student and I'm taking a class on police powers and cops can't legally pull you over without any reason but they can make up reasons like " I thought you license plate light was out" so you're screwed.
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:48 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Come live in the US. Due to the unpatriot act, you can be illegally wiretapped, arrested for no reason other than being a "suspected terrorist" whatever that means, and be detained indefinitely or even sent overseas without representation or even being charged all the while being waterboarded/tortured or being forced to sadomize each other like Abu Gharib. Try using your criminology skills here.

Since we are going OT, might as well as go all the way.
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:54 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol. Cops here can detain you without any reason, it's not arrest but still, they can for no reason at all pick put you in their police cruiser and detain you for a short period of time, if they want to **** you off , they can just drive you around for an hour and then drop you off in the middle of nowhere and say see you later.

don't know much about U.S laws though. I'm sure laws there are harsher.

really off topic can't wait till Harold and kumar escape from gauntanamo bay comes out lol.
Old 04-16-2008 | 12:07 AM
951_for_John
Instructor

few weeks ago a cop, pulled me over without any reason at all, he just checked my DV and let me go. It was funny because I was going exactly the speed limit and though in my head " this guy is going to pulll me over anyways" and he did.
Could it be because all the cops in town know you??

Yes everyone on this list speeds from time to time, not saying its right or wrong.

But a little over the limit in a 951 is safer than in a worn out Aerostar. life takes some common sense.

These cars are designed to run safely at high speed, that is not saying it's always safe or right to drive at those speeds.

it seems the cops know you and are watching, you have to ask yourself why? Attitude? Repeat offences?

It may be time to park this car for a while and drive something else, drop under the radar so to speak.

just my $0.02
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:16 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yummybud924:
I hope you lose your DL for at least a year and have to pay some big fines. There is NO reason to get 3 tickets for speed in that small of a time frame. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets in the last 10 years of driving and after everyone I slowed down to the speed limit to 2-3mph over for a long time. There is no reason to be going almost 2x the limit, period! You first admit of speeding that much, but the argue "How could he have got me at that speed"... I remember reading the first post you had about your two other tickets and I thought, hopefully he will learn his lesson before he or someone else gets hurt. Well, it looks like you didn't learn your lesson at all.

Another thing about the cop not showing up to court, I wouldn't hold you breath on that one. They get paid to go to court quite well. Here in Akron, they get paid 4 hours to go to court even if it is just for 10 minutes.

Oh yea, how old are you?
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:00 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'm 22. I hope I don't lose my license as next year is my last year at University (graduating next summer) and I really need a car to get to school (saves me a ton of time), busing takes 3 hours from my house, driving takes about an hour.

I also work and if I have to bus that'll waste a ton of my time and i basicly have zero free time, I'm either studying or at work.

well I"m not going to speed anymore as I really need to have a car my last year of university, I'm trying to get my marks up so I can get into lawschool and having no transportation would screw up my marks.

today I was not going over a 100 on the freeway (speed limit 90, so you can go up to 10 over) and I was getting passed by everyone, I had to move out of the fast lane as some guy in a suv was riding my bumper and then some guy in a caravan passed me going like 150km/h.

wonder if these guys get tickets too or if the cops just see a porsche and ticket me.

I've been driving for 5 years now and before I had a honda and a pontiac and I used to speed all the time and never got a ticket in all those years.

oh well, I won't be speeding anymore as I really hate the though of taking the bus.....that makes me slow down
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:01 AM
Daily944
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike1982
Yummybud924:
Another thing about the cop not showing up to court, I wouldn't hold you breath on that one. They get paid to go to court quite well. Here in Akron, they get paid 4 hours to go to court even if it is just for 10 minutes.
It's the same here. A couple of my high school buddies are now officers for the local police department. They love it when writing tickets, they set the court dates for their days off. For them a day off going to court means overtime!

+1 Don't hold your breath in hopes the cop wont show up at court.
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:02 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

maybe I'll get lucky and they'll take my license away for a short time. maybe I can argue that I need my car or else I'll get fired from my job and can't get to school?

I'll stop worrying about it and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:05 AM
Daily944
Racer

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
today I was not going over a 100 on the freeway (speed limit 90, so you can go up to 10 over) and I was getting passed by everyone, I had to move out of the fast lane as some guy in a suv was riding my bumper and then some guy in a caravan passed me going like 150km/h.

oh well, I won't be speeding anymore as I really hate the though of taking the bus.....that makes me slow down
Just cross your fingers that the saying 'too little too late' wont apply to you in this case.

The key is, Don't get caught!
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:34 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

I asked for leniency due to not being able to work when I got my ticket going 150 but got clocked at 109 mph. I mentioned its my 1 ticket in the last 10 years. The judge said: Well, you should have thought about that before you got the ticket. Give your license to the clerk and effectively tomorrow, your license is suspended for a month after paying the $563 fine (back 13 years ago is probably equivalent to $1000 today). Then the officer at the court said: Thank you your honor.

When I got my license back, my insurance doubled to $3000 a year and I have not gotten another ticket since.

Quick Reply: oh crap got another speeding ticket.